Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

snow talk

• 20-02-2005 11:14am

Ok closed the other thread and renamed it back to amber.

This is the red snow alert thread post it all here.

Already been some snow showers in the East,as reported by Mothman and w.check.
    And I has some nice snow here earlier too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

After looking at the latest charts this week could well
    be the most exciting week ever :D

Even from Tuesday the whole country gets a go
    but the East will be constently hammered by snow
    heavy snow showers from tomorrow :D

Really could be a great dumping in the east this week :D:D:D

Dare i say 20cm's in places :D

Watch Dublin grind to a halt by Monday evening :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Blue skies here :confused:
    At this late stage, does it still look likely for the likes of me to get a day off tomorrow? I'd say 10 cms would do the trick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.met.ie/recentweather/

whereabouts in the country is casement ?

No mate the real fun starts tomorrow so you wont have 10cm's by the
    morning maybe 1cm's or 2 at most the real fun starts tomorrow as
    the winds swing east and dump snow in the east all week :D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Only up from bed a short while and looks like I may have missed some snow showers from reading the threads. Just out the back garden and feels, dare I say it, spring like! Sun out with a bit of warmth in it.

• Advertisement

Casement is in Baldonnell in southwest co Dublin.

Snowing lightly again now here in Arklow and has remained breezy and cloudy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nothing in dublin14 - sunny, clear skies. goddamn cold though - was out doing a bit of painting in the garden, fingers like ice blocks. AND i've to play rugby this afternoon.... eek!

thanks earthman.

listening to fivelive at the moment it would seem that parts of the UK are grinding to a halt. matches being canceled and roads being closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

4 degrees in the airport, moderate icing has been reported by incoming flights. Nice blue skies for the most part, no aerodrome forecasts for snow here though (at least for today).

no need to get paranoid about "England" getting all the snow
    i promise our time will come this week :D;)

• Advertisement

no one is getting "paranoid" just making a report, oh and dont predict there being much of it here .

no need to get paranoid about "England" getting all the snow
    i promise our time will come this week :D;)
    Given that this is not the "real" cold air yet and theres already snow falling on the coast and at sea level with temps above 2c(which is a real sign of a cold athmosphere) then Tuesday onwards really does have the potential to be mad in the East as it will be colder-much colder and the wind will be from the East so bringing in whatever snow is out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far very spring like outside, not a cloud all morning and doesnt feel too cold just yet. well that sun misleading, its only 2C when i checked the temperature :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Beautiful sunny spring morning here, about 5 mins walk from Dublin bay.

If it's going to be 'The Day After Tomorrow' as predicted by hyperboleman I think a meteor strike will be required to tilt the earth off its axis, thus dropping temperatures catastrophically and giving us all time off work.

magpie wrote:
    If it's going to be 'The Day After Tomorrow' as predicted by hyperboleman I think a meteor strike will be required to tilt the earth off its axis, thus dropping temperatures catastrophically and giving us all time off work.
    ha ha

Day after tomorrow is actually tuesday and that will be a very snowy day in the east :)

(yes I did see the film-dont expect that-expect more snow than seen in a while though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It will be interesting to see the Farming Weather report at 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Weathercheck, what would you say chances of snow in Dundalk are?
    Its sunny clear skies right now. Doesnt feel like were set for any snow at all !

L5 very good tomorrow morning you could get a few cm's
    and then all week you'll be pounded by snow showers :D

BBC Countryfile classic snow coming into Ireland tomorrow morning :D

Irish Meto ready to be pounded by many a egg :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

and then all week you'll be pounded by snow showers :D

sweet :)

irish1 wrote:
    It will be interesting to see the Farming Weather report at 1!
    Just seen the UK country file one on BBC1

Bands of snow moving East to west... all week
    They didnt mention a break down to milder weather as such but that some milder air would get into the flow in NE Scotland.

As regards snow in Dundalk-dont concern yourself with today, as I said earlier this is only the anti-pasti :p
    When the winds swing into the East,you will see some showers during the week and some could be heavy.

Wcheck mentioned "fetch" earlier, basically if you have a large section of Sea due East of you the more showers you are likely to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

i'm in cork at the moment and the drop in temperatures is noticable, it seems to have dropped a few degrees over night. I'm resigning myself to the fact the only sort of wintery showers I'll see will, in my opinion, be the slushy variety. This is one of the view times I wish i lived on the east coast so I'd be in with a chance with getting a good lash a snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm predicting 15feet of snow by thursday morning.
    Can't wait, bring it on!

chump wrote:
    I'm predicting 15feet of snow by thursday morning.
    Can't wait, bring it on!

Considering you are weatherchecks older brother-why doesn't that surprise me... :D

Like they say a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse...

A few flakes in the wind now :D

Charts showed snow in the east in the latest MetO forecast
    for tomorrow morning but the prsenter mentioned sleet, touch and
    god it would seem goof forecast but still iffy bout the snow
    which they shouldnt be ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

just after seeing the sky news weather looks fairly promising for where i live, cant wait , so what do ye think my chances are of a large accumilation in north kildare( 20 miles from dublin)

high enough mid week

Earthman, do you still reckon what falls tonight wont be snow?

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote:
    Earthman, do you still reckon what falls tonight wont be snow?
    I'm inclined to expect snow now more so than sleet given what happened here this morning.

well it certainly seems there will be precip around later tonight and with the temps the way they have been (unless they increase tonight?) can't see why it wouldnt be snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

A few flakes in Saggart (south Co. Dublin)

snow in tallaught - 2FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Funny sort of a day here tucked in the south Laois hills.

Large clouds pasing over from time to time and the temp drops to 4.5c, then sunshine about for a while and the temps shoot back up to 5.0c and slightly above.

So the sun's strength is quite noticable.

Had a brief, but heavy sleet shower last night around midnight. Brrr. Low of 2.1c overnight and quite cloudy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There's a bumble bee at the Rosemary outside the house here :eek:
    stocking up ahead of the coming week ;)

Glorious sunshine now and 5C, was 6C Dewpoint is a low -3C and will only drop further, though it was down at -5C with RH at 46%. That is dry for this part of world.

Just back from the hills above Glendalough. Up at 2000ft+. Glorious sunshine and actually felt warmer than at home, though a lot of the water and marshes were frozen so my feet stayed dry. It looked like that a shower did penetrate in that far as there was the slightest of dusting. Could see snow capped Lug.

Looking at latest radar, nothing is showing over Irish Sea

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after looking at the weekly forecasts on both sky news and bbc and neither give much in the way of snow for ireland this week, sky news are making it out to be much milder in ireland with temperatures of around 8C most of the week while britain will freeze, the bbc on the other hand has us cold but mostly dry and sunny spells with a few flurries in the east and most of the heavy snow confined to southern and south eastern britain with scotland missing out on everything. The bbc also point out that a milder push is gonna start from wednesday night into thursday as continental air dragged up from the mediterranean over cold land will make it feel slightly milder rather than the 3 day siberian blast for monday to wednesday. Its now met eireann which has a better snow risk forcasted for here than any of the other channels. lets see what happens, one of those channels is bound to be right.

I wouldnt pay any attention at all to the sky active forecasts for Ireland, they take no notice of what the Irish sea is capable of.

#As for the BBC, well they always underplay the Irish sea as well unless it is sending stuff into wales in a northerly.

The Beeb unlike carlsberg dont do Ireland...Except NI They throw on a spare symbol allright but thats all - its not a forecast that they pay attention to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Still a glorious day here near the Phoenix Park.

snow in malin head. tempriture there is 4 degrees

could this mean that this snow band is tracking further west than expected.

I do realise that tempritures elsewhere are quite high. the tempriture at shannon airport hasnt exceeded 5 degrees all day, and from hereon in they are likely to start falling.

could this mean that this snow band is tracking further west than expected.
    No.
    Mallin hd is Irelands most northerly point.
    The wind is still in the north so the north coast is getting some showers.

The showers I got this morning were going north to south down the Irish sea aswell-its just they were close enough to the coast for the western part of each shower to clip the coastline.

Whilst temps are up dew points are remaining much lower and below freezing in fact-so good for this.

Also bear in mind that we just have a northerly at the moment and that from tomorrow night thats going to the East and much colder... and as it's already able to snow....even before that arrives.

The weather front draping down overnight and during tomorrow is one to watch also, it may well give snow even to lower levels in the East rather than the west, but theres more of a chance of that settling on the higher ground than at sea level.

Here currently Dry sunny and a cool 5c

• Advertisement

Well, Irish Meto went for 5 to 7c for today, it has stayed largly 4 to 6c.

Looking at the sat image...

where is the forcasted front for later on tonight and tomorrow coming from?

It's coming down from the north Danno, but its from an atlantic maratime origin.

Is the front yet to form over western Ireland and the Scottish western Isles???

How'dy all :D

Well tomorrows front isnt going to give as much precipitation
    to the east as expected yesterday, what it will mean though
    is anything that falls in the east or midlands will be of snow :D

Showers will pep up from around midnight as a thick band of cloud moves
    down from the north and light snow showers will break out in the east.
    By morning there will be light snow in the east and midlands and heavier
    rain in the west.

tomorrow morning has the chance of giving around 2-4cm's in some areas
    with coninuos light snow for a few hours before much colder air
    swings in from the east as the winds turn easterly. Heavy snow
    showers will then blow in from the Irish sea and the snow party
    truely begins :D

And looking at things again, Laois could well be the place
    to be tomorrow :eek: ;)

the 12z is starting to come out and its showing a change of wind direction by mid day tomorrow.

Danno wrote:
    Is the front yet to form over western Ireland and the Scottish western Isles???

FFS Danno-1500+ posts on TWO and you are asking me questions like that?? :D

There it is OK :)

Earthman wrote:
    FFS Danno-1500+ posts on TWO and you are asking me questions like that?? :D

There it is OK :)

The posts were made in weeks Earthman :eek: :D:D
    Much like mine :D:D:D

And looking at things again, Laois could well be the place
    to be tomorrow :eek: ;)

I told you all

I told you all!

LOL! :D

Laois, the only county in Ireland that does not have neighbouring counties with a coastline.

We are probably best poised for the warmest in Summer and coldest in Winter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Just up in Knockree/Glaskenny/Glencree area in Wicklow and it started snowing, albeit very lightly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement