Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Obscure and never made "Classics"

• 10-02-2005 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,981 ✭✭✭✭ mike65

Okay I'm stretching point for a good picture thread here but here are some shots of cars that either never saw the light of day or did but almost no-one has one!

Bitter SC Coupe

sccoupe.jpg

Jaguar XJ40 early prototype

bertoproto_04.jpg

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 Alfasudcrazy

I remember these - they are DKW's - don' ask what models as I haven't a clue but these cars stick in my mind because even as a 4/5 year old I was really into cars and remember these passing our house now and again and me thinking how weird they were. They had a strange sound and were a bit troublesome as I often saw one broken down or spluttering along sounding very ill.
    I don't think they will be classics as they are pig ugly :rolleyes:

dkw3.jpg
    dkw2.jpg
    dkw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

I believe DKW's were predecessors to Audi's - note grille badge in second pic above.

Well, they don't come much more 'obscure' than this !! ...........it's the only one ever built !

The 1907 Irish-built Silver Stream............

There's the NSU Ro80 of course - I don't think I have ever seen one of these on the road - gave a lot of trouble during their short production life. :rolleyes:

Ro80.jpg
    ro801.jpg
    ro802.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 bus77

I remember seeing this car in a pack of top-trumps years ago, "6 wheels" and "car" into google and here she is (Same picture aswell)

six1.jpg
    1977 Panther 6
    http://www.panther-car-club.de/cars/six/bilder_six.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ BlueDrax

There's the NSU Ro80 of course - I don't think I have ever seen one of these on the road - gave a lot of trouble during their short production life. :rolleyes:

I Have :D - The old man had a white one ages ago. Wankel rotary engine if I remember right.

On the subject of NSU's we can't forget about the ex-NSU VW K70. This was VW's first attempt at a water cooled front wheel drive car. I only saw one around our town and it was not around for too long - another difficult birth car I think :rolleyes:

K702.jpg
    K701.jpg
    K70.jpg

Here are a few links for more infor about the VW K70 :)
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2529/k70.html
    http://web.telia.com/~u31614134/K70/eVWK70a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ Fabritzo

I saw the movie about the Tucker on channel 4 recently and very good it was too (if yer a car buff)
    http://www.tuckerclub.org/tucker51.jpg

http://www.tuckerclub.org/

Is this the ugliest Ford ever produced - the Scorpio? I know it was a 'mainstream' model but it never sold in big numbers and was a sad finale to a model - especially the fine Granada Mk1 & 11 of the 70's & early 80's. How could a car like this be released onto the market. Word is that this car was forced on Ford Europe by its American parent against its wishes - I can easily see why :rolleyes:
    Note how on the later models (top pic) they removed the chrome strip at the back and done a slight redesign of the lights - 'that will fix it' they thought - sorry you can't make a sow's ear out of a silk purse!

sc.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    sc3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

BlueDrax wrote:
    I Have :D

Same here, saw loads of them when I was a boy. Also saw loads of K70s. They looked much more modern then the VW Variant, which probably was it's main competitor. Most of them were, ehrr, variant ;)

Not these rare ones:

w_92_variant_coupe.jpg

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Is this the ugliest Ford ever produced - the Scorpio?

Course it was. Beware though, the NTL man will come down and haunt us :eek:

In fairness second hand they are great value for money. Buy one and just blindfold yourself until you're inside and you're laughing

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭ peasant

sorry to dig up this old thread, but on the "ugly" DKW I couldn't resist but show you its pretty sister:

DKW-2000_White_1000_SP_Cabriolet_-_Roos.jpg

DKW 1000 sp. (google to show lots more pics) Same two-stroke engine as the 1000 s (the "ugly" one) , only slightly beefed up, AFAIK.

The 1000s was also sold as "3=6", DKW claiming that the 3 cylinder two-stroke due to its running only two strokes instead of four would equal a six cylinder "normal" engine for smoothness and refinement :)

The 1000 s actually was quite "upmarket" in the 50's and the 1000sp pretty unattainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ Interceptor

I remember these - they are DKW's - don' ask what models as I haven't a clue but these cars stick in my mind because even as a 4/5 year old I was really into cars and remember these passing our house now and again and me thinking how weird they were. They had a strange sound and were a bit troublesome as I often saw one broken down or spluttering along sounding very ill.
    I don't think they will be classics as they are pig ugly :rolleyes:
    Leave the DKW alone - it is not ugly and you are wrong!!! I want one of these more than anything and nearly bought the one in the pics in the other thread. These are sought after classics in many countries and I will drive mine past your house when I get it!!

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 19,295 ✭✭✭✭ alastair

Speaking of the DKW 'poor man's thunderbird'. I was trying, without success, to find a pic of the 'Shamrock' car made in Dundalk in the fifties. Vaguely 'thunderbird-ish' except that it had a fibreglass body way too big for it's chassis/wheelbase, and it was powered by something like a ford popular engine. There's still one in Dundalk afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭ ds20prefecture

alastair wrote:
    Speaking of the DKW 'poor man's thunderbird'. I was trying, without success, to find a pic of the 'Shamrock' car made in Dundalk in the fifties. Vaguely 'thunderbird-ish' except that it had a fibreglass body way too big for it's chassis/wheelbase, and it was powered by something like a ford popular engine. There's still one in Dundalk afaik.

There is also a lime green one in LA. I thought the one here was in Clare - a white one. These are allegedly the only two in existence. It used an Austin A55 engine.

Vile in the extreme.

Here is a pic I took of a Shamrock at Mosney Car Show in 2000.

(Must be the Dundalk-based car).

I recall that Top Gear (or some BBC motoring programme?) came to Dundalk to drive this car ! :)

Funny that it has a 'ZV' reg ? Either it was brought back from the States, or it was only (first) registered in recent times ?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭ peasant

Advertisement