Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Obscure and never made "Classics"

Options
  • 11-02-2005 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I'm stretching point for a good picture thread here but here are some shots of cars that either never saw the light of day or did but almost no-one has one!

Bitter SC Coupe

sccoupe.jpg

Jaguar XJ40 early prototype

bertoproto_04.jpg

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I remember these - they are DKW's - don' ask what models as I haven't a clue but these cars stick in my mind because even as a 4/5 year old I was really into cars and remember these passing our house now and again and me thinking how weird they were. They had a strange sound and were a bit troublesome as I often saw one broken down or spluttering along sounding very ill.
    I don't think they will be classics as they are pig ugly :rolleyes:

dkw3.jpg
    dkw2.jpg
    dkw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I believe DKW's were predecessors to Audi's - note grille badge in second pic above.

Well, they don't come much more 'obscure' than this !! ...........it's the only one ever built !

The 1907 Irish-built Silver Stream............

There's the NSU Ro80 of course - I don't think I have ever seen one of these on the road - gave a lot of trouble during their short production life. :rolleyes:

Ro80.jpg
    ro801.jpg
    ro802.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I remember seeing this car in a pack of top-trumps years ago, "6 wheels" and "car" into google and here she is (Same picture aswell)

six1.jpg
    1977 Panther 6
    http://www.panther-car-club.de/cars/six/bilder_six.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

There's the NSU Ro80 of course - I don't think I have ever seen one of these on the road - gave a lot of trouble during their short production life. :rolleyes:

I Have :D - The old man had a white one ages ago. Wankel rotary engine if I remember right.

On the subject of NSU's we can't forget about the ex-NSU VW K70. This was VW's first attempt at a water cooled front wheel drive car. I only saw one around our town and it was not around for too long - another difficult birth car I think :rolleyes:

K702.jpg
    K701.jpg
    K70.jpg

Here are a few links for more infor about the VW K70 :)
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2529/k70.html
    http://web.telia.com/~u31614134/K70/eVWK70a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I saw the movie about the Tucker on channel 4 recently and very good it was too (if yer a car buff)
    http://www.tuckerclub.org/tucker51.jpg

http://www.tuckerclub.org/

Is this the ugliest Ford ever produced - the Scorpio? I know it was a 'mainstream' model but it never sold in big numbers and was a sad finale to a model - especially the fine Granada Mk1 & 11 of the 70's & early 80's. How could a car like this be released onto the market. Word is that this car was forced on Ford Europe by its American parent against its wishes - I can easily see why :rolleyes:
    Note how on the later models (top pic) they removed the chrome strip at the back and done a slight redesign of the lights - 'that will fix it' they thought - sorry you can't make a sow's ear out of a silk purse!

sc.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    sc3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BlueDrax wrote:
    I Have :D

Same here, saw loads of them when I was a boy. Also saw loads of K70s. They looked much more modern then the VW Variant, which probably was it's main competitor. Most of them were, ehrr, variant ;)

Not these rare ones:

w_92_variant_coupe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is this the ugliest Ford ever produced - the Scorpio?

Course it was. Beware though, the NTL man will come down and haunt us :eek:

In fairness second hand they are great value for money. Buy one and just blindfold yourself until you're inside and you're laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sorry to dig up this old thread, but on the "ugly" DKW I couldn't resist but show you its pretty sister:

DKW-2000_White_1000_SP_Cabriolet_-_Roos.jpg

DKW 1000 sp. (google to show lots more pics) Same two-stroke engine as the 1000 s (the "ugly" one) , only slightly beefed up, AFAIK.

The 1000s was also sold as "3=6", DKW claiming that the 3 cylinder two-stroke due to its running only two strokes instead of four would equal a six cylinder "normal" engine for smoothness and refinement :)

The 1000 s actually was quite "upmarket" in the 50's and the 1000sp pretty unattainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I remember these - they are DKW's - don' ask what models as I haven't a clue but these cars stick in my mind because even as a 4/5 year old I was really into cars and remember these passing our house now and again and me thinking how weird they were. They had a strange sound and were a bit troublesome as I often saw one broken down or spluttering along sounding very ill.
    I don't think they will be classics as they are pig ugly :rolleyes:
    Leave the DKW alone - it is not ugly and you are wrong!!! I want one of these more than anything and nearly bought the one in the pics in the other thread. These are sought after classics in many countries and I will drive mine past your house when I get it!!

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Speaking of the DKW 'poor man's thunderbird'. I was trying, without success, to find a pic of the 'Shamrock' car made in Dundalk in the fifties. Vaguely 'thunderbird-ish' except that it had a fibreglass body way too big for it's chassis/wheelbase, and it was powered by something like a ford popular engine. There's still one in Dundalk afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

alastair wrote:
    Speaking of the DKW 'poor man's thunderbird'. I was trying, without success, to find a pic of the 'Shamrock' car made in Dundalk in the fifties. Vaguely 'thunderbird-ish' except that it had a fibreglass body way too big for it's chassis/wheelbase, and it was powered by something like a ford popular engine. There's still one in Dundalk afaik.

There is also a lime green one in LA. I thought the one here was in Clare - a white one. These are allegedly the only two in existence. It used an Austin A55 engine.

Vile in the extreme.

Here is a pic I took of a Shamrock at Mosney Car Show in 2000.

(Must be the Dundalk-based car).

I recall that Top Gear (or some BBC motoring programme?) came to Dundalk to drive this car ! :)

Funny that it has a 'ZV' reg ? Either it was brought back from the States, or it was only (first) registered in recent times ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Advertisement