Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does BSG stand for?

Options
  • 31-01-2005 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

HI there, now that BSG has ended (Schnief) for the moment.
    I have been thinking about one thing, more intensively that has been breaking my head.

You know when Emblem, which always comes up just before the Ads, where it says Battlestart Galactica BSG 75
    Does anybody know for a fact, what the 'BSG' bit means?

It can't mean Battle star galactica as the 75 must indicate the Serial number of the Ship, and they don't have 75 Battlestar Galacticas.

Your opinions on this please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I have been thinking about one thing, more intensively that has been breaking my head.

You know when Emblem, which always comes up just before the Ads, where it says Battlestart Galactica BSG 75

It can't mean Battle star galactica as the 75 must indicate the Serial number of the Ship, and they don't have 75 Battlestar Galacticas.

I don't watch BSG, but I assume it means something like Ship number 75 from Battlestar Galactica.

Exactly the same way as SG-1 means StarGate Team 1, not Stargate number 1. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

actually battlestar galactica IS the ship....
    i dunno, maybe the original battlestar series is from 1975? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I realise what the '75' stands for, thanks for the reply, it is the 'BSG' what is cracking my brain.
    I thought it might mean something like 'Battlestar Group' as in a category of ships they built in this design.

Mordeth wrote:
    actually battlestar galactica IS the ship....
    i dunno, maybe the original battlestar series is from 1975? :)

good Idea, but Battlestar orignal first screened in 78.

As you can see, I have nothing better to do at the moment, but I have come to the conclusion that it is a mistake by the producers.
    I found this link, where you can see that the Galactica has 'BS-75' printed on itself.
    check it out

http://www.galactica2003.net/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/Images/Closeup2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I always assumed that BSG stood for Battlestar Group, kinda like the way (i think) the US Navy has CBGs (Carrier Battle Groups). And 75 is just its Battlestar number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The "G" in "BSG" on badges was apparently some sort of grand typo, from what I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A O Malley

Dosn't the "G" just stand for Galactica. BattleStar Galactica and 75 is the ship number .ie 75th Battlestar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Would it be possible that the 75 is it's year of commission, like the on the reg of cars?

I doubt they'd last for 100 years, so a 2 digit year marking could be feasable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

Sometimes the simplist answer is the correct answer.

BSG does stand for Battle Star Galactia. Its the emblem of the ship, remember that the Galactia is a pretty Famous ship in the colonies.

It just makes sense. Its probably either the 75th Battlestar built, or its serial number is 75 or its year it was launched is 75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

But perhaps when the Galactica was first commisioned (around the time of the first Cylon War?), Battlestars were a part of larger groups of frigates, destroyers etc., and served as aircraft carriers for those groups

Hence, BSG could mean Battlestar Group.

I think it is a tribute to a typo in the first BS movies.
    did you ever hear that the Galactica was built in 75?
    I was only wondering about the 'BSG' part, the 75 is obvious for me that it is the serial number of the Ship.
    but there definetly not 75 Battlestart Galacticas.
    I think the typo is the best answer sofar, as you can see from the picture I linked, it only has 'BF' i on the ship, and an Emblem would not display the ship description differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had noticed that on the emblem at the ad breaks aswell. I assumed it stood for something like Group, as BattleStar Galactica 75 doesn't make much sence, as there's only one Galactica (or two if you consider the original series :) )

Perhaps it was just a typo that got carried through as it was too expensive to re-do all the uniforms etc.

It could also be an Easter Egg. Every sci-fi show has deliberate mistakes in them. I always thought that producers put them in just to point out the fact that the show is fictitious, not real. Of course you always get the die-hard nerds that can point out the mistake and get a big swelled head on himself for noticing it.

So maybe we're just nerds for noticing that it says BSG on the badge and not BS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the 75 is obvious for me that it is the serial number of the Ship.
    but there definetly not 75 Battlestart Galacticas.
    There could be 75 Battlestars, or possibly more. In the pilot miniseries, Adama tells Starbuck that "thirty battlestars have been destroyed" and she replies that "that's over a quarter of the fleet!". If you assume that she only knows the number of large ships in service (i.e. she's not just including every ship down to the smallest frigates) then there could be just under 120 battlestars in service.

It's plausible. The US opeates 12 supercarriers (each with a crew of 6000). In theory, a unified world navy could operate at least twice this number of huge warships. A Battlestar has a 4000 man crew (Watch the miniseries, Tyrell tells Leoben that there are 4000 people on board Galactica) Multiply this number by 6 (I'm being conservative, there are twelve colonies, but some are undoubtably smaller and poorer than others). In conclusion, a civilisation that occupied 12 planets could operate a navy composed of easily 100 battlestars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wez32

Well to me the BSG 75 ensigna means the following:-
    1. BSG does stand for Battlestar Galactica.
    2. The 75 bit (I reckon) comes from clues in the original mini series- we are told (By adama after the cyclon attack) that the fleet has been totally destroyed and some 120 Battlestars have been destroyed (Could someone please confirm the number) accordingly the Galactica is the 75th battlestar of the fleet. The 120 figure comes from the reasoning that each of the 12 colonies now have 10 battlestars each (the figure has grown from the early days of each colony having one battlestar each as we are told in the opening minutes of the mini series).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Big Sexy Girl

There could be 75 Battlestars, or possibly more. In the pilot miniseries, Adama tells Starbuck that "thirty battlestars have been destroyed" and she replies that "that's over a quarter of the fleet!". If you assume that she only knows the number of large ships in service (i.e. she's not just including every ship down to the smallest frigates) then there could be just under 120 battlestars in service.

It's plausible. The US opeates 12 supercarriers (each with a crew of 6000). In theory, a unified world navy could operate at least twice this number of huge warships. A Battlestar has a 4000 man crew (Watch the miniseries, Tyrell tells Leoben that there are 4000 people on board Galactica) Multiply this number by 6 (I'm being conservative, there are twelve colonies, but some are undoubtably smaller and poorer than others). In conclusion, a civilisation that occupied 12 planets could operate a navy composed of easily 100 battlestars.

Its "over two thousand crew", actually, to quote him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Fenster wrote:
    Its "over two thousand crew", actually, to quote him. :D
    My bad. Thanks for pointing it out. Still, the theory holds up fairly well.

I stand corrected on my original point-It is "Battlestar Group"

In Water, behind Gaeta during the briefing, there's a diagram of Galactica. In the top left-hand corner is written "Battlestar Group 75"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

This is probably a moot point now, but i would've thought BSG would just be a ship type with 75 being the hull number. Using the US Navy as an example, CVN refers to Aircraft Carrier (Nuclear). And they are up CVN 76 in hull numbers. And the first ship with a CV desigination was commisioned in 1922. Going by that level of construction from just one country, it's no great stretch of the imagination to allow Galactica be the 75th hull constructed between 12 planets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I know it was the case in the old series but in the new one when the first cylon war broke out wasn't there 12 battlestars built. One to represent each colony. And Galactica represented Caprica. So going on that 75 couldn't possibly refer to the hull number as it would have to be somewhere between 1 and 12.

I just always assumed it meant Battlestar Group.

I know it was the case in the old series but in the new one when the first cylon war broke out wasn't there 12 battlestars built. One to represent each colony. And Galactica represented Caprica. So going on that 75 couldn't possibly refer to the hull number as it would have to be somewhere between 1 and 12.

I just always assumed it meant Battlestar Group.

Assuming that we'll recognise the Star Trek precedent (canon if mentioned on screen) then Adama's 30 ships destroyed as referred to by Bazookatone kinda rules out there only being 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the Peagus was BSG 52 in the latest epsidoe if i remember correctly

Nuttzz wrote:
    the Peagus was BSG 52 in the latest epsidoe if i remember correctly

I'm only watching it on Sky, so i still don't know that the Pegasus even exists!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

gatecrash wrote:
    Assuming that we'll recognise the Star Trek precedent (canon if mentioned on screen) then Adama's 30 ships destroyed as referred to by Bazookatone kinda rules out there only being 12.

I never said there was only 12 ships. I said that when the original Cylon war broke out 12 battleships were constructed. 1 to represent each colony. I'm assuming then that they built more to expand their fleet and replace any ships which were lost. Galactica was one of these first 12. The last remaining one.

fair enough, but in the bad old Cold War the Soviet Navy routinely re-numbered the ships to confuse the west into thinking that they had a shedload more of any particular class of ship. And no-one stated that the colonial fleet has to start numbering hulls from #1. The US navy has been in existence for over 2 centuries now, but the newest class of destroyer starts off the numbering sequence at DDG 51. The previous class of destroyer started at DD 963

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, seems the conclusions are that BSG sands for BattleStar Group and 75 is the number hull of the Galactica, including prototypes and actual functioning starships. There, doesn't the fresh breeze of clarity feel so, so good!

Just watching S2 at the moment (dvd box sewts have a few extra scenes from what i can tell), and am at 'Pegasus'. There's a nice shot of the Pegasus just after Tyrroll has been replaced on Galactica by the Deck Boss of Pegasus, and on her hull, quite clearly PEGASUS then in smaller lettering BS62. Which would be her hull number.

So the BSG part must refer to the battle group, which probably takes it's number from the group flagship, what ever it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 batai

Gilgamesh wrote: »

Gilgamesh,

I believe it may refer to the type and class of said vessel and its designation within a group. Just as the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) Nimitz-class Aircraft Carrier is part of a strike or battle group which consists of a variety of other vessels (pronounces wessels) and the VMFA-323 (Marine Corp Fixed Wing Air Attack Squadron) which is based in Mira Mar, California belongs to the MAG-11 Marine Air Group and the third Marine Aircraft Wing (3-MAW) the Galactica may be listed as BSG-75 as it could be its designation within that group. This does not necessarily mean that it was the 75th vessel to be listed, as the designation may consist of other concerns also. The numbers that follow is at times the number of said designation after the Navy went to an alpha-numeric designation system. With its designation of Battle'star' I assume allready that is would be an intimidating piece of equipment, unlike a meteorite.

Best,
    Batai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gatecrash wrote: »
    Just watching S2 at the moment (dvd box sewts have a few extra scenes from what i can tell), and am at 'Pegasus'. There's a nice shot of the Pegasus just after Tyrroll has been replaced on Galactica by the Deck Boss of Pegasus, and on her hull, quite clearly PEGASUS then in smaller lettering BS62. Which would be her hull number.

So the BSG part must refer to the battle group, which probably takes it's number from the group flagship, what ever it is
    That would make sense. If you look at production orders, BSG75 would have been produced several years after BSG62. At the time of the miniseries Galactica is about to be decommissioned and replaced with a new Battlestar. Presumably the Cylon War's Pegasus BSG62 had already undergone this decommission/refitting. The same way The Enterprise has done oh so many times. It explains Pegasus being a state of the art Battlestar with a lower hull number.

Advertisement