Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cantonese character of the day

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

You need to have the Big5(cantonese) encoding enabled, so it won't make sense if you have the western encoding enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

Demeant0r wrote:
    You need to have the Big5(cantonese) encoding enabled, so it won't make sense if you have the western encoding enabled.
    how do u do that?

View>Encoding>More>Chinese Traditional(Big5) in IE
    View>Character Encoding>More>East Asian>Chinese Traditional(Big5) in Firefo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    *mutters about changing board name to "Cantonese"*

I concur.

I demand more Mandarin, or a new board. >(

Firstly there must be an interest in this board, and by the looks of it nobody wants to converse about either Cantonese or Mandarin here. Secondly, admittedly I only know Cantonese so I can only help that portion of the population, which is tiny. so someone else that knows mandarin should moderate with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Thanks for the BIG5 post demeantor - never knew how to enable that - I usually install Windows with all chinese/hangul/kanji options and could never get them to work!

I can recognize only about 100 simplified characters so I'm not the one for moderator :o

There seems to be people having trouble activatiing Big5, I'll post a sticky about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Any chance of posting in here or a new topic or something the different tonal levels? I know the levels that exist, but I'm not sure how to apply those numbers to them.

Lantis wrote:
    Any chance of posting in here or a new topic or something the different tonal levels? I know the levels that exist, but I'm not sure how to apply those numbers to them.
    Sure - I'll do over the weekend, just don't have the time in weekdays with all the college related stuff/parties I've to do/go to. :);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Can you offer an explaination why "ma-ma-fhu-fhu" = "horse horse, tiger tiger" translates into "like this like that" or eq.

btw, "ma", is also used as a Question mark. "bao le ma", are you "fed/full yet?"

And "San Ba", "3-8" means airhead or nuts.

In an effort to revive "Cantonese Character of the day" I'll be re-starting again on the 30th January 2006, if anyone would like to help with this task, give me a pm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 huangyangChina

if you want to communicate with more chinese people,it's better to learn the standard chinese(tu tong hua). the cantonese is just one dialect of our language,it's use area is too limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 huangyangChina

AMurphy wrote:
    Can you offer an explaination why "ma-ma-fhu-fhu" = "horse horse, tiger tiger" translates into "like this like that" or eq.

btw, "ma", is also used as a Question mark. "bao le ma", are you "fed/full yet?"

And "San Ba", "3-8" means airhead or nuts.
    you can email to my box ,I will give your more explainations about "ma ma hu hu"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I have a few questions, first what do you mean when you write a number next to a word (like wo4) is the number the tone thats meant to be used? if so what are the numbers for the tones? (like 1 for flat, 2 for up etc).

What is the main difference between mandarin and cantonese? Are the words written the same but pronounced differently? (I was given this as a muddled explanation before). If the words are written differently could someone write the equivalent mandarin word please?

Thanks, or should I say xie xie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

When a number is written after the word (as in wo(3)) it indeed means the tone.
    so the 1st tone is flat tone, the 2nd tone is rising tone, the 3rd tone is falling-rising tone and the 4th tone is falling. As you probably know tone differentiates meanings. A syllable has different meanings when pronounced in different tones.

alot of the characters of mandarin and cantonese are the same, but they can represent different words or pronunciations. So in other words it's never certain that the same character holds the same meaning, even if pronounced the same way.

Can we make another sticky in this forum for mandarin character of the day.
    I just think this would be more useful, as there are far more mandarin learners then cantonese learners. And i think inthe future cantonese will be used less and less. I felt this when i was in Hong kong recently and most people i spoke to spoke to me in Mandarin chinese not cantonese.

• Advertisement
Advertisement