Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to do next year?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

I know what you mean with the techs in GMIT - I did my sw engineering degree there
    a few years ago when it was an RTC. If the same techs are still there they're a dry bunch.
    Is Tony McDonald still lecturing there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

dont know of him but that doesnt mean he is still not around somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Yes Tony is still around, along with Ted, Gabrial, Damien, Sean, John, and the rest, that are not coming to mind at the moment. I see you are based in Japan, did you do the FAS thing?

Timeout

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Hey Protos,
    Hows Japan for an irish man(rhyme unintentional), so you working for like a big jap game company, any inside info heheh, really want to live there.... me big otaku foo
    Jay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ARGINITE wrote:
    our gaming take place out the soc.
    This also entails Open Source software (GNU Linux // BSD) this the part that the tec's dont like because they think its means more work for them, theirs a long story behind this.

When we were setting up the soc we borrowed NUIgalways constitution: )
    syx how and who talked the admins in yere palce into letting ye have a server?
    The founders of the society back in the 70s.

They think OSS is more work for them because they are ignorant. Plain and simple.
    They need to provision a network connection for ye, that entails giving ye a length of CAT5, assigning an IP, setting up the DNS records etc. exactly like a windows box.

They're either ignorant, lazy or incompetent.
    Possibly a combination of any or all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

mostly lazy, very lazy. thanks for the input as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

Tony, Ted and Gabriel I remember - the rest must be new. Tony Mac was a disaster. Des Chambers is gone I suppose - he was the best lecturer they had ............

Came to Japan originally in 98 on the FAS thing. I highly recommend it if you get a chance and you want to get out of Ireland after graduating. There's at least 4 or 5 people that I know of that did FAS after graduating from the S/W development course. There's loads of countries you can come to, Taiwan, Japan, China and a host of European places. I've actually done FAS twice - first time in Basel Switzerland, and then Tokyo.

Advertisement