Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone know if Aldi have permanently changed their Brie?

They used to have one that came in a white and blue wrapper, triangular wedge shape rather than round (https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-french-brie-200g-emporium/4088600142272), but I haven't seen it in ages. This is probably subjective, but that was by far the best supermarket Brie I could find.

The new one in the gold wrapper (https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-brie-200g-cremiere-de-france/3333750051976) is nowhere near as good, I find it way too soft.

The Lidl one is even worse, it has practically no structure whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭herrdood

The Aldi in Newcastle West briefly had large pots of Graham's Natural Skyr Yoghurt. The pots were maybe 1KG. 11ishg protein per 100g.

Unfortunately they vanished after about a week and I haven't seen them since. Anybody noticed that product elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Patsy167

It's that time of year when regular/low margin products start disappearing temporarily from shelves to make space for the high margin Christmas products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yeah, nearly all the lovely summer ice-creams are "out-of-stock".

And a lot of the salads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I thoroughly recommend these and I thoroughly recommend ignoring the last pic 😝😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Don't know if it's store specific but these are reduced to €1.69 in the middle aisle of my local.

Don't know if I'll ever use them but I couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The rechargeable soldering iron is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does the soldering iron come with any solder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am devastated! Well not really, but disappointed. Every year I look forward to the appearance of Aldi Gluten Free mince pies. This year they just came in so I bought 3 boxes - they last pretty well. They are horrible! The pastry is like cardboard. No, harder than cardboard and no more tasty. They are inedible. So I took them back and got a refund. But that doesn't get me a mince pie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭cobham

Oh dear I spotted them today and came home with two boxes... not too bad warmed in microwave and with some ice cream? But maybe not as good as last years?

Maybe we got different batches because I did have one cold and another microwaved for 30 seconds, and they were both rock hard and unappealing. No comparison with previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Tomato and olive stir in sauce

Sun dried tomato pesto

Both horrible, could I add a bit of sugar?

Yes you could, but it depends on why you don't like it that will dictate whether the sugar will make any difference.

They've a dull bitter taste didn't seem to be vinegar in them though

I think that sometimes sun dried tomatoes can taste too strong, though I like them generally. Tomatoes do not need vinegar to be acid, that's why a pinch of sugar improves the taste of any kind of tinned tomatoes.

• Advertisement

Tastes better with the sugar

Looking for a curry paste tomorrow are the aldi ones decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,665 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The cherry liqueurs are back in! One of my favourite things about Christmas 🤗😁

Has anyone tried the Street Kitchen curry kits? I've bought a Butter Chicken one, haven't got around to trying it yet. There seems to be a good selection of different ones, I hope they're good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I buy the satay one from Lidl all the time, I love it.

• Advertisement

Tried them again as the new batch looked better. I must have got a bad batch the last time because these are fine, not a lot of filling but nice enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I like the Aldi Thai Red , overall i find the Lidl ones better. The Lidl Punjabi Cashew Korma goes down fastest in our house.

They are great for a lashing out a quick dinner when tired after work. I throw in some veg - whatever is available in the fridge/freezer and add some chinese 5 spice or whatever takes my fancy to liven them up a bit.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Just posted about these wines on Booze Deals thread. Really are great value with 20% off and share the love for the Toscano Rosso which went down a treat last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A reminder if you are looking for a Turkey in ALDI, they aren't priced strictly by kg but by category.

So a small turkey is priced at €8.99 though they can range in size from 3kg to 3.9kg.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Specially Selected boned & rolled shoulder of lamb in masala marinade is excellent. Had it the other night with Bombay potatoes and chargrilled broccoli.

Will 100% have it again but I think next time I'll reverse sear it. We like our lamb very rare so the crackling didn't really crisp up in the short time it was in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have no idea what I have just eaten. They didn't have my usual pizza. I saw a limited time Carlo's Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza. I love Bacon Cheeseburgers but have no idea what was in this. Not nice & weird all rolled into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Dark choc & coffee ripple easter egg is lovely - 70% with nibs too - I may have opened it before easter, ooops. It was for feedback for the good of the forum, honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some time in early January Aldi reduced the price of some items and advertised that heavily. The only item included that I buy is smooth potato salad. Since the reduced price sticker went on the shelf it hasn't been in stock. I have checked with staff and they say it hasn't been delivered in weeks. So frustrating.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sun dried tomato pesto is one the the easiest things to knock up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Duneen Kefir (it's milk based) is worth recommending. I somewhat reluctantly gave it a try recently, expecting another of those watery yogurts misleadingly sold as kefir and cunningly monetising the recent surge in popularity of kefir as a powerful probiotic. Although this one actually does come labelled "yogurt drink" it actually is a pretty decent kefir. It slightly tingles on the tongue as any real kefir does.

€1.89 for 500ml and comes in 3 flavours: natural, raspberry and lemon and I like all three. https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-kefir-natural-live-yogurt-drink-500ml-duneen/4088600457048

That being said, if you have never tried kefir before, it's a sort of a marmite thing. ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭coupons1987

These new chicken burgers are fab , recommend making them in a brioche bun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

I actually had them tonight, I expected them to be like the older thigh burgers but with breast meat, I wasn't overly impressed. Didn't seem to be a proper fillet, more formed meat. For the price they were fine tho, I'd have them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Man, I want those thigh burgers back so bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

They were lovely at the beginning but after a few months they changed and were very fatty and not as nice. Probably a different supplier and not trimmed as well before coating.

The new sourdough frozen cod fillets are nice - very crispy

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-chipshopstyle-extra-large-sourdough-breaded-cod-fillets-460g-2-pack-specially-selected/4061459988888

I think the fresh beer battered cod fillets have bit the dust for the summer season though :( None of the shelves the last couple of weeks.

I can't believe there hasn't been a post in this thread in nearly a month!

Has anyone seen the dried mango in Aldi lately? I've tried a few shops now, and no sign - it's usually on the shelf in a box with the trail mix, and there's no sign of that either - strange if the two of them have been discontinued?

Aldi's mango was a country mile better than Lidl's, or Supervalu's which I'm currently trying and won't be trying again…..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The Aldi vegan kebab pieces are the absolute job. Chewy, crispy, bit spicy. Goes great with yoghurt sauce, chilli sauce and salad (in a bowl or wrap)

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-spiced-kebab-pieces-made-with-soya-protein-280g-plant-menu/4061464443174

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭SourSessions

They changed their mango chutney, don't like the new one at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The chocolate Rich Teas are my new favourite biscuit of all time, they are amazing with a cup of tea, wish I knew about them during Winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭anewme

if you like Kefir, try a polish shop. They do a lovely one and it’s 1.89 for a litre. Way nicer than the Aldi one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Recommend you stay away from the specially selected ham and mushroom pizza in the fridge section. Horrible.

If anyone was a fan of McDonalds spicy chicken nuggets, these are a decent copy, and are airfryer friendly. €2.19.

I didn't try the dips.

• Advertisement

They have the beer battered ones in my Aldi, but the last two times I got them, they weren't nice. Very greasy.

I will try the sourdough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

What I don't recommend are the new shopping baskets! They're a pain in the neck when you just want to run around and grab a small few items. They're don't steer well, and the need to lift them out of the stack to start and the expectation that you will lift them back into a stack at the end makes them not very user friendly if you have any difficulties with your arms or strength. It's also much more difficult to unload shopping as you have to bend down at the till. I hate them so much they turn me off going to Aldi at all.

Thank god it's not just me! A nightmare - why get rid of small baskets? Tesco have just done the same - is it health & safety or sth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lidl have introduced mini trolleys for kids now with a little flag on them. It's like being Pacman going around the shop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭lucalux

oh my god YES. I actually asked the store manager was this it for the small baskets and he said yes - their small ones kept getting stolen (?!)

Contacted customer care and they said the new basket/trolley things would be used alongside the old smaller baskets, not so in two Aldis local to me

I've a dodgy back and shoulders, trying to lift them as you said, and then unload them at the till makes me just grab a cardboard box instead whenever I go in

One of the staff members did suggest getting a shopping basket of my own to bring in and that they wouldn't mind that at all - which in fairness is probably my best bet as Lidl have the same issue but for much much longer

• Advertisement
Advertisement