Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options
1284285286287288290»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my main issue with the large plastic baskets is they're often not kept clean. there's simply too much surface area in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is this thread not about Aldi food recommendations? 🤔 can we leave all the talk about the bloody baskets? no one wants to read pages about their baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I personally dislike salted caramel as a flavour (in general) but the caramel millionaire version are not bad.

My preference would be almond, then milk chocolate, and my daughter loves the white chocolate variety. We haven't tried the mint.

The "exotic fruit" tropicos (soleros) are my favourite, but the berry version is good too.

But like that, sometimes you have to dig through a big pile of berry flavour to find the exotic fruit flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I mean you kind of need to put the recommended food into a basket first in order to buy it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Finding their regular sparkling orange is the worst. It, the sugar free and rock shandy are all just piled in together as an orange mess with similar labels on the top shelf. It's about six deep as well. I'm over six ft tall but still have difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Imagine if they all fell on your head when you're trying to find the one you want?

Good point!

The boxes of the specially selected sauces - butter chicken, korma, jalfrezi etc are all mixed up together too!

They're glass jars, and I've actually seen them get smashed on the ground when people were trying to find the one they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone know if the tubs of peanut butter that look like dupes of Meridian are any good? And if Lidl is better than Aldi or the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I think the Aldi stuff is really bland and not worth the calories. Haven't tried the Lidl PB. Tbh, I only buy Pip & Nut these days, it's a bit more expensive but much nicer than the others (including Meridian).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Even worse there are hot dishes mixed with mild in similar packaging.

The frozen pizzas are so mixed up. The producers sensibly put the variety on the side of the box. Aldi display them so have to physically remove the ones you don't want in the hope of finding the ones you want.

For example the new sour dough pizzas only have the plain cheese variety in stock because the others are popular & get snapped up.

I don't believe that simple proper merchandising would increase costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭lucalux

They're excellent imo. 100% nuts, I add my own flaked sea salt to taste.

Aldi's I've found has a slightly over-roasted taste at times, but there's always some variance with batches I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Aldi is very close to meridian (possibly made by them). Find the Lidl a bit more flavoursome - but also a manilife and pip & nut convert. Worth the extra if you really like PB imo.

Perfectly good for normal people though! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got the Aldi one this time. I mostly use it for mixing with whey protein powder in a shake, so I don't suppose flavour matters much - but if it's nice i occasionally have it on a cracker so hope this one is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Worst thing about the way they do stock or the one that annoys me the most and has done for years now is the chocolate peanuts/raisins. They come in the same box, the peanuts sell out on day one but the box of raisins hangs around for weeks because nobody wants them but they wont restock until its gone, this has been going on for years now.

First world problems I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was talking with a staff member about the pizzas. He went & got a box to show me. Three varieties are package together - spicy meat feast, the excellent barbecue chicken & bacon & cheese. The majority of the box is just Cheese - so they end up with a freezer full of pizza that few people want.

Edit: I just received this from Aldi

Thanks for getting in touch about your visit to our store.

I'm sorry you couldn't find what you wanted. We try to ensure we don't run out of anything, but some of our lines come in mixed cases, and we have to sell everything in the case before we get a new one.

So, if everyone's scrambling for the chocolate cookies, but no one touches the raisin ones, it could take a while before we can order a new batch.

Thanks for letting us know about this, though. Hopefully, the sourdough chicken and bacon pizzas and other items you need will be in stock by your next visit.

Thank you for understanding. 

Post edited by Discodog on

@Discodog

I can confirm stock of salted caramel fake magnums in Aldi, Belgard Road, this evening. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Is their Sriracha any good? Only €1.49 at the moment but if it's rank i won't bother.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭squonk

Sriracha is sriracha. I’ve had some of their speciality varieties and they’re nice. Think I had their regular one previously. I thought it was fine. Truth be told I haven’t come across any so far I thought were meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

No! This is like saying "ketchup is ketchup" or "mayo is mayo"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The new Angus 6oz low fat burgers (currently on special - super 6) are nice. very good size unlike the normal low fat options

Advertisement