Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Reindeer- Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

That might be a retrospective defensive action trying to throw people off the scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is the interview if anyone wants to sit through and hour of Piers Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

There's a follow up on Morgan's interview (on his show) - with five contributors.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The timeline in the show is different. The rape happen before his success, and before the stalker.

The bar show in Edinburgh, Aligns with Cheese & Crack Whores (2013), and was around the time of his rape. He had bigger shows after that, and then Monkey See, Monkey Do (2016). Which won the Edinburgh fringe best show award. It was about his rape. Then he had Baby Reindeer (2019) a few years later, about his stalker.
    The TV show seems to merge the early show/rape with the stalker. When in reality they were at different times

It's a work of fiction based on true events. It's not a documentary. The actors are playing characters, not real life people. A lot of it will be fiction in order to make a show out of it. That's how most "based on real events" shows end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

@Mellor might be an idea to use spoiler tags

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I’d assumed everyone reading the thread have watched the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think the show clearly states they were at different times. The rape happened when he was with his girlfriend. The stalking clearly happened well after he was split with his girlfriend and was living with his girlfriends mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was very clear.

The only thing they "got wrong" was they should have shaved him or something to make him look more boyish in the flashbacks.

Obviously in real life looks have nothing got to do with it but for the sake of TV he needs to look more wide eyed and innocent when being groomed.

I know the show clearly shows then at different times, ie not concurrent. But it pushes them together so as to appear like it was one after the other. Edinburgh, rape, breakup, working in the bar, Martha, stalking, breakdown, success.

Whereas in reality, the rape was around his first Edinburgh show. And he had a series of increasingly successful shows until the one about the grooming that won the award. The stalking presumably followed that, and then the baby reindeer show followed.

For the sake of clarity, I no issue with frantic license in that regard. It’s based on real events, not a documentary of his life. The real Martha seems to think the events being slightly different is somehow grounds for a lawsuit.

It doesn't "make them appear"

It was blatantly obvious the grooming section was a flashback.

• Advertisement

it is based on a true story it is not a documentary or a crime call reenactment of what happened

I think you’ve missed the point.
    Obviously grooming occurred before stalking. Nobody has questioned that. I was referring to the time between them.

Episode one shows the ex, mentions the break up, living with the ex’s mother and introduces Martha. Episode 4 is the rape, the aftermath, and the breakup. It’s would be fair to assume episode 1 came directly.

I’m just pointing out that the shows presents is as a continuous series of events (shown out of order). Where as in reality there was a few years between them.

Again, it’s fiction loosed based on real events. Not a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The thing is, it doesn't bill it as "based on a true story". We would expect "based" to be doing a lot of heavy lifting.

The caption clearly says "This is a true story", which is quite a different - and very definitive - claim. Obviously a certain amount of dramatic and artistic license is still acceptable, but I think something as significant as the stalker being portrayed as tried, convicted and jailed is a step too far under the terms of the claim the show itself made if these things didn't actually happen.

Based on a compelling true story, the hit 2019 Edinburgh Fringe one-man stage-play Baby Reindeer follows the writer and performer Richard Gadd's warped relationship with his female stalker and the impact it has on him as he is ultimately forced to face a deep, dark buried trauma.

That’s the stage show. We’re talking about the Netflix series here.

The Netflix series categorically says “This is a true story”.

That is not from the stage show, that is the description given to the series from IMDb

That sentence is part of the drama/dark comedy

Post edited by OmegaGene on

Although Baby Reindeer is mostly true, Gadd revealed that he did amp up the tension and suspense for the sake of the show. “The feeling you get most of all when you’re getting harassed is relentless tediousness and frustration,” he said. “I didn’t want the audience to feel that.”

Based on this experience, Gadd said he wanted to create something to tell his story and represent stalking in a different way—particularly how it is rooted in mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For what it's worth - you can take "This is a true story" with a pinch of salt.

The movie Fargo got away with it almost 30 years ago, and the series repeatedly indicates it at the start of every series.

It's a plot device.

it was a plot decision on Fargo; no one took it seriously because it wasn’t a serious claim.

The difference with Baby Reindeer is that its entire appeal is based on it being a “true story”. It relies on this claim not just as a plot device, but as a reason for watching it in the first place.

And it turns out, it’s an increasingly disingenuous claim.

• Advertisement

The problem isn't changing restraining order for jail time. I get that from a story point of view.

The problem is "this is a true story" which they should not have said so bluntly. But still the story being told is about how his life was affected by a groomer and a stalker so changing things around the edges of that are not a massive problem. He was groomed, raped and stalked and those are key elements.

the phrase “this is a true story” was used at the start of a drama/dark comedy and part of the drama so anyone thinking it was all true was duped but it seems to be only a minority

Spoiler - making a murderer isn’t all true either 🤣

I'm just going by some fact Vs fiction articles. So as far as I am aware yes.

I have absolutely no interest in looking up the woman or her history.

Advertisement