Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Reindeer- Netflix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I watched episode 4 the weekend before last and I haven't watched any more since, I found deeply intense and upsetting to watch. I found the previous episodes intense but this was on a different level, not sure if I will finish it but I read the whole thread to see what others thought of it. Might delve back in at some stage but I feel like I'll have to be in the mood to watch it, it's not light entertainment is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's clips on YouTube.

The style is anti comedy. Comedy about comedy.

I don't enjoy it. Some might.

He's a talented actor and writer though definitely so he's found his calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I had to take a break after that episode, very disturbing to watch

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very good series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm starting to think this story isn't real at all , & in the end they will tell us the whole aftermath has been planned as some kind of social experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Her interview on Piers Morgan is a complete disaster, talk about personally digging yourself in to the biggest hole on the face of the earth and jumping in it 😂.

She contradicts herself multiple times. She seems like someone who lies so much that they believe their own bullshit.

41,000 emails is insane.

If you sent 10 emails a day for 10 years, that's 36,500. She only knew him a few years.

I think it's even unethical from Piers to interview her like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are articles online from 20 years ago, about her stalking a Scottish MPs wife, who has a deaf disabled child.
    And was a solicitor at the law firm she very briefly worked at (shock, she was fired). There's no way it was in motion that long.

Parts of the story are obviously dramatized. But the foundations seem real.

I haven't seen the interview. But she set herself up from that start.

"It's all lies. I'm not a stalker. I'm going to sue Netflix."

Oh really, why is that?

"See that fat stalker lassie, that be me."

Hasn't really dawned on her that she can't claim she identifies as the inspiration for Martha the stalker. While simultaneously claiming to not be a stalker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This Piers Morgan interview is pure exploitation of a mentally unwell person and I agree is totally unethical.

Morgan profiteering on the back of someone’s mental health. That lady will receive backlash / hate following this as she has done already. She has been set up as a freak show.

I watched the documentary last week about the series there’s something about Miriam 20 years ago and the level of exploitation of people is similar to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

I binged watched the first 3 episodes (it IS refreshingly different) heard ep 4 was a hard watch. They weren’t wrong, watched most of it with side eye🫣. Left it for nearly two weeks… dutifully watched the last 3 episodes.

I’m glad it’s a limited series. It’s more influenced by real life, rather than true story. He’s depicted as a poorly received comedian, whereas it looks like he was an award winning comedian at the time.

The TV show writer that’s central to episode 4 is played as Irish. A very successful writer, one seminal TV series 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Piers unethical? Never!

If he wants to know about the emails I am sure he knows someone who could hack a phone....

Did he link everything back to being Meghan Markles fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Didnt see the interview and wont - the whole thing is car crash, the programme, the interview, everything about it. God be with the days when we'd watch Glenroe and Murphys Micro- Quizm.

But I will say this - she went on the Piers Morgan show of her own free will.

And really, is there anyone at this stage who doesnt know what a Piers Morgan interview will look like.

There are two sides to this story, and the truth will out - however, I would be shocked if Netflix hadnt fact checked this story. On the other hand, the attempts by the main protagonist to persuade the 'general public' not to read too much into it, not to connect it to real peoples lives - he wants to have his cake and eat it too….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This years must have Halloween outfit is surely the tartan yellow suit and suitcase full of props

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Listened to that interview from Martha.

I have to say i think Gadd is seriously blowing it up. A weird individual.

TBH - its presented as being true - somethings you can exaggerate, poetic licence and all that - but there either was a court case or there wasnt. And if there wasnt, I really dont think you can turn around and say 'that part of it was fiction'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i wonder did she qualify at all,
    Piers asked her about 6 time what grade did you get & she kept blanking the question or answer it was decent, Yes but what grade did you get & no answer,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The producers have a duty of care not to exploit vulnerable people for profit.

The fact that this lady was paid 250 STG (when she could have commanded probably a million?) shows what sharks they are. This is Jeremy Kyle stuff - and we all know where that ended.

From what I've seen of her, she is clearly unwell and will not be percieved in a positive way by people. They know this and are exploiting it for their own gains. Very wrong in my book. They getting a bit of backlash for it as well.

What is very telling in Baby Reindeer is that the real villan is not being hunted down and identified - clearly they know he will sue and has might behind him where she is hot air.

Both 'Duty of Care' and 'Vulnerable' are somewhat vague terms.

They have legal responsibilities - after that, well its the Piers Morgan show.

And what is a 'Vulnerable Person'.

If she has a diagnosed mental illness and is being treated, then yes I would agree.

Again, its the Piers Morgan show - why would you expect ethics to come into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

FInished there finally and regardless of the truth behind it, I think the overall message is positive. Abuse unfortunately is cyclical for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Kingslayer

If that's true it would be the cleverest marketing campaign since blair witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well yes she is criminally insane.

Which is why only a scumbag like Morgan would expose her to something like this.

He should done for exploitation of a vulnerable person.

It's possible she approached him and wanted to give her side of the story.

I still think it's unethical though.

She's recognisable everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He should still say no regardless. It's still taking advantage of pa cognitively impaired individual.

I agree.

She's a terrible liar anyway.

Piers is a very aggressive interviewer also so not a fair match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Didn't Gadd say his stalker did not look like how she was presented in the show? I'd say this is just someone ill that Morgan is despicably taking advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well Gadd should come out and say its definitely not her, which would have a bit of a dig at Morgan.

His silence is making everyone think its definitely her.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thamus doku

I saw the interview and there were some facts Morgan could have checked pre interview but did not.
    I think this show is hard to take serious, they say it’s totally a true story, his story which he stars in as himself, and this all happened him and he is reenacting it all as himself, and that all this happened him and he never went to the police about any of it ? His rapists are walking around free to commit more rape because he won’t go to the police but will he make a Netflix show about it to make money.
    All very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Finally finished it. It was a great show and definitely not comedy or dark humour. Martha was amazing.

Sent from my ipohne

Advertisement