Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organic farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Watching Killmallock sale yesterday, it took a good animal to make €3/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We got a phone call yesterday afternoon from a friend asking if we could transport a number of organic stock from the sale in Kilmallock mart to his place in a neighbouring county. OH and him set off at 5.30am this morning with flasks of tae, sandwiches and sweet cake.

He is more than happy with his purchases. As an aside, I haven't seen what he bought but OH reckons that their price is similar to non organic cattle with about +/- €50/head.

I looked up the sale results online on LSL and tbh I don't know the difference if they are full organic status or transitioning.

Edit to add link to Kilmallock mart organic sale.

All sorts, goodish price €2.75/kg, exceptional €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Saw cattle (8) bought by lad I know in last April sale in Drumshanbo and his average price was €2.65. Decent cattle alot of talk and Mart reports that Organic at €4 a kilo seems to be cherry picking. Guy I know bought one heifer at that price but lovely heifer make great cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

An Organic sale of stock in Carnew and entries invited.

See Clive Bright giving a half day course on mob grazing. Hope I can make it, even though I'm doing it a few years myself. always learn something and meet others interested in it.

There was an error displaying this embed.

Feck it, just see it's sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

More money in the courses than the farming.

You may advertise your own mob grazing course WJ. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Mob grazing a great idea on paper alright, I would have always thought a big issue would be dealing with flys though. I'd love to see it done properly alright.

• Advertisement

Works fine, when you're not using fertiliser, high solids in the sward. Why flies?

I would often see flys in places that have more growth, more life in them. I mean more bio diversity should mean more insects right? I have had some success with garlic lick blocks when dealing with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Wat exactly is mob graing .Am I right grass is left get a little strong like 2000kg/dm hect ,cattle left walk half it in to ground but when do you move the cattle ,Do you wait until they are bawling just before they break out!!

No, whilst they trample the area, there is plenty left when you move on, no bawling. I've another 2 weeks to go in the first rotation. I slowed the first few weeks with a silage bale in the round feeder. I have a water trough covering about five days feeding, giving the cattle a new piece each day with access back to the water. Cattle don't bother with the grazed area for those days, any longer and they would start picking the regrowth. So, with a rotation of about 44 days, 8/9 water troughs will cover it. If one doesn't have large numbers a double trough should do 10 days, 5 on each side.

I possibly hold them back a bit, old habits die hard. Just don't have them cleaning it out. In many ways it's the 21 day cycle used in dairy herds, slowed to half speed. This is my first year having mixed species swards in the rotation. I'll see how that goes. Skipping one section as it's quite strong and will mow bales off it.

What sort of clean out do you get the following round of grazing if a butt is left after them or do you just top it to clean off .What is your stocking on the 44 day round with out any fert like on 22 day rotation with 30 units of N like it would carry at least 3.5 L.u. per hectare

It's quite a different way at approaching sward management. No topping, really no butt problem. You measure in steps. So the group of 22 animals I have,(meant to have 30)various sizes are getting just under 2,000 square steps per day, in my case. If I had the 30, it would be closer to 3,000 square steps. So the 22 animals are getting about half an acre per day.

So roughly 22 acres is carrying 22 average 300 kg cattle with no nitrogen .That is impressive

It's hard to judge but it's a different style of farming. Fields wouldn't look manicured😉

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭youllbemine

There is a fella on the Farming Forum who goes into detail on this type of grazing from NZ. Although his rotations are much longer. Not going back to a paddock for the guts of a year.

Kiwi Pete is his name. Different context I know but worth having a read on his thoughts on this subject.

I've seen it myself with the FIL's place. He has a wee paddock right beside the yard that he used have a sick animal in or a freshly calved cow. Got rid of the sucklers and he left it go from August 2022 to June 2023. I was in clearing the fence line and the grass heads were honestly over 6ft. Looked like pure rubbish from the lane. But then you get into it and the fresh regrowth was over the top of the Wewelington. Only part of the farm actually growing grass during the drought at that time last year. Imagine the whole place like that.

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/improving-our-lot-planned-holistic-grazing-for-starters.224870/page-1547#post-9301889

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DoIng a bit of mob grazing myself small mob high grass small paddock

There was an error displaying this embed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What's a good organic herbicide?

If it's spot treatment, my wife has used a vinegar/salt mix in the garden, kills anything. Not sure if that qualifies as organic herbicide? Don't know of any commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

any sign of 2023 balancing payment (Google suggests it was supposed to be spring payment…..and based on the temperature outside infairness that hasn’t arrived either technically).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It might be a good time to ask the local Green Party candidates. 7th of June isn’t too far away. Not much point in Pippa Hackett saying she has secured €250m if they can’t pay it on time.🕰️

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

see payment up on agfood today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Is it 15 percent that's outstanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

While im practically organic farming, i never joined the scheme, just wondering will the scheme reopen this year.

what are peoples opinion of the process of converting and most importantly is it wirth it

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Should open up again this year, if you wanted you could do the required course while you wait and it will answer a lot of questions.

Schemes wise it's a lot easier than the current Acres scheme and pays more. You need to be realistic about the numbers of animals you can keep, or crop outputs. Mine for instance I'm about 2 weeks later than conventional farmers for my silage crop this year. Cattle sales for me I achieved between a 30 and 100% higher price than conventional for my Weanlens this spring, I don't expect that to always be the case as there was a shortage of good organic Weanlens and stores this spring with a noticable amount of new buyers.

• Advertisement

What do organic lads do for creeping buttercup? Seems to be a huge amount of it around this year. Is it just a case of keeping the PH above a certain level?

Advertisement