Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The only argument against the PCP slant is that most people with a car on PCP think they own it so treat it as such rather than as a lease.

Agreed that in terms of finding a bargain fixations on number of owners / acceptable wear and tear do not sit with the concept, if you want a new one buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t think anyone mentioned value. I understand that a 1 owner car is going to be more desirable than a 4 owner car. But to say a 1 owner will be in better condition and better looked after is just way too broad of a statement. There are one owner cars out there with not even a service stamp in the book and there are 4 owner cars with full service history for example

And I think the fact the car in question is an EV makes the ownership even less significant because even if the car was treated like **** and driven hard from cold and never been serviced it’s not going to make any difference to the internals of the car. The only thing that would damage the car is a lot of super charging. And guess what, theres plenty of 1 owner EV’s out there being fast charged on the daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

The only time I can see the number of owners mattering is where you get the feeling that people have been moving on a troublesome car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Yeah, especially when it's a bargain. Low price and lots of owners can be a red flag for many

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My cousins one owner Seal is in worse condition than my 2017, 3 owner 530e!

Drives it and parks it. Doesn’t care what gets done in it, eats in it, lunches in it, takes meetings in it. Won’t even go get the handles fixed on it as he said it’s the rear, couldn’t car.

Company car. Don’t think it’s been washed since January.

So yeah, number of owners are generally irrelevant and buy the based on its condition, history and spec.

Some will argue for the sake of it. It’s sunny out. Go enjoy your day and do what you want. Don’t get upset because the world doesn’t agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know ya. I can see you sitting in a 6 owner car gumbo. Some will make up stuff just because a certain poster says something . Enjoy the sun and the spoofs about what number of owners you'd find acceptable. Bar the consummate bargain hunters like unkel most of you replying wouldn't touch a car with over 3 owners on it. Have fun 👍

I bought a 97 Polo with way more than 6 owners a while back for €70. Number of owners was irrelevant. It was a handy €430 profit for an hours work.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MINI Cooper S I bought last year had 15 owners or something like that. Didn't bother me and I bought that to keep for myself long term. The only reason I sold it a few months later was because I found a bargain i3 that I always wanted. Sold the MINI with a lovely profit for half a day's "work" - the time it took getting it home from Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This. It's what I automatically think of when I see a multiple owner car.

The high number of owners on cars these days is almost exclusively because of the repeatedly transferring it into a relative's name for motor tax reasons. It's the new "3 months on - 3 months off" and getting the form stamped in a Garda station.

Only in Ireland…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

Oh, I dont think the number of owners is totally irrelevant. I once bought a car with zero owners on it….worst mistake I ever made!😒

Dodging back tax is what I think, that's very much the norm since declaring it off the road afterwards was done away with, doesn't mean it was driven without tax, people can have one sitting a few years and decide to put it back on the road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Going to get hit with a penalty if he leave back in that state, company car will have guideline, they all do, so people taking the piss like your cousin will end up paying a lump in repairs to bring the car back up tithe standard the lease company will require

You bet me to it on that one, saw yours after I posted.

On the number of owners, I'll agree completely on not ruling a car out on owners or indeed mileage, bought a cheap car at auction a month ago, 20 years old, 194,000 Miles, 9 owners on the book I think, practically unmarked, paint is all original, spotless underneath, beige interior seats needed a clean, but the beige carpets are like new, it is cleaner than the 2 owner 120k km car my Mrs was driving, looks like it'll be written off now, hence me looking at EV's because as a second car range is a non issue, it would only need to do 20 to 40km a day.

He owns the company. But you are correct. I’ve no idea how it’s financed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

was more a FYI, I know in our company people didn’t realise this and got hit with a repair bill

the lease companies want to take them back and stick them on sale the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

This will really open up imports again, along with the other change last year allowing dealers claim back VAT on used imports from UK, and the now general understanding that anybody can export a vat qualifying car from UK vat free.

It’s amazing the drop in asking prices on autotrader.co.uk for Tesla Model S, a 2017 90 is for sale now with free supercharging for under £8k! Really nice 2017/2018 are asking £15k. I’ve always liked these and two years ago a 2015 in the UK would have been more than double current prices for a 2017

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭hometruths

So if importing a 12k Tesla direct from UK is it now only the customs charge payable?

No doubt I’ll get the annual call to valet it anyway 😂

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

No - to be clear VAT is payable here at 23% on everything bar cars imported from Northern Ireland, but it is almost offset for dealers who can claim the vat back off the purchase price buying any car in the UK for export. Also anybody can buy a vat qualifying car (typically ex lease or ex company cars) and claim the UK vat back.

Simple maths - say car is €15,000 in UK and is vat qualifying, you will pay €12,500 ex vat. Duty if applicable of 10% adds €1,250. Vat of 23% is calculated on €13,750 so an extra €3,162 bringing the total to €16,912.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

+1.

I too would like to know this as I am really keen on buying a Model S.

Ps: the other option is the id4 with thwt 0% finance VW is offering at the moment, and I am of a certain vintage that a number starting with "42" appeals to me... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

So what would the bottom line for a Tesla from the uk be?

You’s can forget about importing from mainland UK. Hasn’t been worth it since Brexit. Recent changes make importing from NI slightly more viable.

I would normally agree, but a £8k bangered, huge mileage one needing a lot of work, might tempt some. The VAT / duty on it would be low.

Can you even buy them for that price tho? The cheapest currently on Autotrader is a high mileage 2014 for £8,995. It doesn’t drive and needs a new battery. Its €15k landed here, plus repair costs. Totally not worth it. Second cheapest is a Cat N write off for £2,500 more. Again, not worth it.

Ah no, not that one. There was a 2017 facelift one early this morning, fairly knackered looking, with 400k miles on it (so still within battery and drivetrain warranty) that had some relatively minor issues for £8k.

Obviously an idiot putting that up as it was way underpriced and sold almost instantly

Sorry yeah, just saw the above post now. Mad that its still under warranty😂

Unlimited mileage! There are some ultra long distance taxi services in California that copped onto this early. I bet per mile their Model S taxis turned out to be the cheapest taxis to own in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Cheapest face-lift Leaf I have seen. Looks to be in excellent shape. Top spec. Won't last long. Minor front lip damage, DIY or don't. 8.7k. Could be got for 8k.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-2018-ev/36952248

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

Advertisement