Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Options
  • 02-11-2023 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭

Teaser Trailer

Opens May next year

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is set several generations in the future following Caesar’s reign, in which apes are the dominant species living harmoniously and humans have been reduced to living in the shadows. As a new tyrannical ape leader builds his empire, one young ape undertakes a harrowing journey that will cause him to question all that he has known about the past and to make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The first trailer for this has dropped. A couple of the writers and producers of the reboot trilogy have returned, which is good. No Andy Serkis involvement though, sadly.

I really enjoyed Dawn, Rise, and War so hopefully this maintains the same quality, although it still looks like it's another prequel to the events of the original PotA. Hopefully that doesn't wear too thin just yet.

Edit: Coulson beat me to it. Mods can delete!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Feuding Apes

Released 24th May 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Looking forward to this, but I'm a bit unsure how they're going to wrap this into the reboot trilogy. But the new trilogy is one of the very few examples of a reboot of a famous series that worked really well, so there's hopes it'll be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just seen the trailer for this in front of Dune 2 yesterday. Must say it looks good. I look forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ms

I went and seen this yesterday. Excellent film, beautiful scenery and characters you really care for. It has been 7 years since the last film was done but I love the way what happened in that film at the end was not forgotten.

I would give this film 10 out of 10.

Its a must see in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It has been 7 years since the last film was done

No it wasn't. Don't be ridiculous.

checks Google…

Fuck me.

😥

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Was alright. Nothing groundbreaking. Took awhile to get going. Guess they are gonna make a few more 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I haven't seen it. But the trailer seems to give everything away. Apes and humans get on. Then they don't. Apes hunts humans. And the film is a huge build-up to the inevitable battle. I could be wrong of course. In any case, I will stream it when available. Always liked the planet of the apes movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I haven't seen it, but Kermode's review said there's a planned trilogy and that led to this film lacking pace of its own

Ms

All wrong and if you liked the films you would go seee it in the Cinema.

Ms

Its a film I will happily go see a second time in the Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier, cracking film. Far better than I expected. Very reminiscent of the original 1960s version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ha ha.

So I have to go to the cinema to watch any movies that I like? Ya? I am not allowed to watch films that I like on the TV in my own home? Is that what you are saying.

I am a single father, with 2 kids. Every time that I want to go to the cinema will cost me about €50 in child-minding, and cost of cinema. I wouldn't get to see too many movies by your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭winstonia

Doing well at the box office anyway. $128m opening weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Take no notice that posters starts threads about watching films on their 5” phone screen because they don’t want to go the cinema.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My favourite thing I've ever bought for my house was my cinema surround system.

Av receiver, 5 wharfedale diamond speakers, subwoofer and 55 inch tv and a big, comfy couch. Only people I want in the room with me.

I'll watch a movie here over cinema any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,208 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's brilliant that we can have properly decent home setups now (have 120 inch projection setup here - far more affordable than you'd think, if ya can get past having to close the curtains to watch earlier in the day), but for me nothing beats a proper cinema experience. Even with a good home setup, i'll never get utterly lost in a movie at home the same way I will in a theatre. It's always such a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes – 5/10

I’m getting sick of all these IP based blockbusters that only exist to set up future installments. The lacklustre new protagonist ‘Noa’ only served to remind me how much more engaging Andy Serkis was as Caesar across the previous trilogy.

Some cool post-credits style things happen at the end which are intriguing as hell. Maybe they should have put those things in the middle of their 2 ½ hour film and explored them rather than serving up a dull ‘filler’ quest movie?

The CGI work is incredible and there are some good sequences, but this is diminishing returns. They’re threatening to make 5 more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just got back from it and I quite enjoyed it. It's not quite the film the trailers made out it would be which is no bad thing. I loved the small references to ancient Rome and the tension between Mae and the apes.

I didn't care for the previous instalment so it's nice to be pleasantly surprised.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Saw this tonight and thought it was excellent. As others have hinted, the trailers don't spoil it. Thought the pacing and character arcs were excellent and probably the best use of CGI I've ever seen (take note Marvel and DC). Also agree with a post above that it reminded me a little of the original 1968 movie in some ways.

Really looking forward to where the series goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Haven't seen any of the other movies apart from the one with John Lithgow in it, but watched the 12 minute recap and knew enough going in.

Enjoyed it thoroughly, it's sufficiently stand-alone to watch without knowing much about the previous movies, apart from knowing who Cesar was. Shocked at the CGI quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Post deleted and infraction issued. Keep it civil, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

I really thought the CGI had reached the "yeah, they've just filmed real talking apes there" levels at the second film but the quality in this film's trailer in 4k is spectacular.

The Kermode review also mentioned that they are considering including a cut in the eventual Blu-ray without the CGI, just the actors in their motion-capture suits which I'd love to see but I cannot see them actually going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I liked it. The story was a little thin but I had no problem with the pacing or the characters. A few reviews have complained that it spent too much time setting up sequels but I really didn't feel that at all. And I have to say the quality of the CGI and mo-cap work was excellent (bar a couple of moments when some of the larger apes scaled up things quickly, which looked a little shonky); it gives me a certain amount of confidence, at least on the technical side, for the live action Legend of Zelda movie the same director is now signed up for…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

One thing that I love about these films is the world building. You could see the cultural simplicity and peaceful nature about Noah's tribe meanwhile the kingdom was so obviously brutal and colonial in its approach.

Advertisement