Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would not be sure as you are writing him off ,there will be plenty of FFG voters floating this time towards the right and I am saying mcnarara is not here nor there ,Eddie punch,freedom party lad and Aontu lad are low profile ,voters wont be shoting from the roof tops that they will vote for Blighe but at the end of the day people are rightly pissed off with with current policy and like the referendum all the main party canidates are not going to see much sympathy votes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

People who aren't terminally online won't have a clue who he is. My parents got leaflets in the door today for him, no idea who he was or what he stood for...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most will not know one thing about him, even if they agree.

SF have 2 people in Dublin whose views on migration etc would be much more radical free market than Thatcher at her worst yet how many SF voters will be aware of that.

Name recognition is often the be all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This was indeed accurate. I took a walk just now and saw FG, Labour, SF and Independent candidate posters all up. Came across two different crews putting them up as well.

• Advertisement

Got a Derek Blighe flyer in the door today. As expected most of it is about migrantion. However he must have felt that he'd better have some other policies on there as well. They don't appear to be exactly fully fleshed though, for example:

"Agriculture: To reverse reckless agricultural policy and seek to have total food security and self-sustainability" - pretty sure we are already self sustainable and indeed produce far in excess of our needs leading to massive agricultural exports

"We will seek to review our membership of any military partnerships i.e. PESCO, NATO" - Er…what?

"Climate: Development of all natural resources in Ireland" - That is so vague as to be essentially meaningless

It goes without saying that this is all national politics stuff even though he's running for Europe.

He also spelled Padraig Pearse wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Padraig Pearce....

Says current Government are far left and his party are centre right 🫣

The far-right are always trying to pull off that particular Jedi mind trick. They realise that they are toxic but are trying to gas-light people into thinking that they're actually the ones with the sensible opinions and it's everyone else who are extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I will listen later/tomorrow, but yeah Ming tbf had a big tent last time round, so its possible he may not be able to hold onto some. Malooly I always thought had a chance, but the issue for him was is their 2 seats for him and Peader? The midlands is just a mess to predict as I don't their is anyone totally safe at least in the other 2 a few of the big boys (and lynn) won't have a sweat.

Out of curiosity in Dublin my opinion is Lynn and Regina are safe enough, and then its a massive fight between Cuffe, Andrews, Daly , Smith and N Boylan for the other 2 slots,,,do they disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Do FF run the risk of splitting their vote in Midlands-West by running three candidates in the European election?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Short answer: yes, they do risk that. Currently they don't hold any seats in the constituency. The conventional wisdom is to run not more than one more candidate than you optimistically hope to get elected. Applying that rule, three looks like too many.

But you can see what they're doing. The constituency is large and diverse. Their three candidates are carefully chosen to appeal to different regions within the constituency - Blaney for Donegal; Cowen for Laois-Offaly; Chambers for Mayo. The hope is that this will maximise their vote across the constuency and, having secured somebody's first preference, if there is good discipline in the party and strong loyalty in the voters, these votes will then transfer to other FF candidates.

But it's a risky strategy. It might work, but, if it doesn't work, it could play out quite badly for them. Everything depends on how loyal voters are; if they give their first preference to FF, will they also give their second and third preferences to FF? Or, if their vote has been won by appealing to regional and local loyalties, will they give their second and third preferences to local candidates of other parties?

Historically FF voters used to be quite loyal (or "sheep-like", depending on your point of view) compared to voters for other parties, but this has been less true in more recent times.

They ran 2 candidates in the previous 2 elections in that constituency and in both cases they didn't win a seat. Running 1 candidate both times might have got them a seat (definitely in 2014, maybe in 2019). So they have form in running too many candidates alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I never heard of Blighe until 2 weeks ago. I am not in Twitter or wherever he resides. He comes across as an angry idiot at first glance. I don't think he has a hope.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

To be fair - you can probably use that description for 25-33% of the candidates in most elections - but in Blighe's case it does seem particularly apt.

An economic migrant, who now campaigns against migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is he related to the former British Royal Navy captain who likes to punish his crew?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

His late father was Denis Blighe, trade union and Democratic Left activist, who quite vocal in campaigned for refugee rights in the early Celtic Tiger days. No idea of lineage beyond that.

There seems to be a flaw in their logic. If people are loyal enough to FF to continue their preferences to the second and third FF candidates, who do not live in their area, then surely they would have given them the 1 & 2 if there had been no FF candidate running in their own area in the first place.

The FF logic seems to be that they can thread the needle of getting them to vote for a local candidate to play on their desire for a local representative but then transfer based on party allegiance.

People either want local candidates or they want party candidates. Running a surplus of candidates based on the notion that you can somehow get people to have both of those desires fulfilled seems misguided. I can't see it ending well for them.

I think the FF strategy is trying to reach people who are a little bit inclined to vote FF but will be pissed if FF doesn't offer them a locally-known candidate. If you give them a local candidate, the theory is, you don't piss them off and they vote FF down the ticket.

The other possibility is that I'm completely wrong and this is not a strategy for reaching voters at all. It could be, e.g., that FF didn't want to piss off the party organisation in Donegal/Connacht/the Leinster Midlands by freezing one of the three out of the nominations — even though it's suboptimal from an electoral point of view, they run three candidates to avoid dissension/demoralisation within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But the nomination process was by party members, no?

The late adding of Chambers and Blayney to the ticket was not a balloted thing or something demanded by members. In Chambers case I believe it's Michael Martin trying to throw her a bone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭corkie

Don't know another way to link this so will just share the Tweet.

^^ https://www.cnam.ie/online-safety/

Wed, May 15th. Topic: ‘Supporting Information Integrity Around Elections’.

Doubt if I will be tuning on Zoom, but maybe interesting to hear the Outcomes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I read an interesting poll On voting in the Euro elections ( The Journal ) where it claims the independents are the largest group in the upcoming election.
    For the record, I’m over 65 & I damn well won’t be voting FG as the poll suggests in the trends.

I wanted to Post the link but cannot. Has Boards blocked links now. I used to get emails too when a post pertaining to the threads I was following appeared on the page, but that’s gone too.

Do the party members get to decide how many candidates will be nominated, or just who will be selected to fill whatever number of candidate slots the party officials have decided will be offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭corkie

As far as I can make out the only say the members had was in the selection of Barry Cowen for the initial one spot available. The decisions to add two more candidates and who those candidates would be were made by party HQ. Pretty undemocratic really but they wouldn't be the first party to put their thumb on the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭poppers

AFAIK Cowan beat Blayney for the nomination at the convention. i believe the NW cumman kicked up a fuss and he was going to run as an ind so they had no choice but to add him or he would have hoover up all the remaining FF vote up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Blayney running against FF? Never! :p

The deadline for the local elections is coming up so I was just looking at what sorts of numbers are the proliferation of far-right parties running. There's quite the variation:

1. The Irish People - 55 candidates
    2. Irish Freedom Party - 23 candidates
    3. National Party - 9 candidates
    4. Ireland First - 6 candidates

For a brand new party those are some serious numbers for The Irish People.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭MFPM

93 candidates propagating alot of hate, will there be 5 elected? The overwhelming majority will get abysmal votes.

• Advertisement

Their European candidates don't have a prayer of getting elected. I'd be surprised if any of their local candidates got elected this time around either. You usually need >1000 votes to get elected and I can't see any of them getting that.

I think they're setting the groundwork up for future elections. They'll learn from this campaign. What works? What doesn't. Which types of candidates do better and in what locations. That kind of thing.

The thing to watch with them this time around is where does their vote transfer to and on that note what parties will go out of their way not to criticise them. I'd imagine Independent Ireland and Aontu will be hoping that a lot of those transfers come to them.

Advertisement