Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase query

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

How do you know what portion of the mortgage (interest /capital) the tenant is paying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP consider your goals carefully: the politics of good vs amateur landlords, and vocering mortgages vs alternative investments are not relevant to whether you can find an alternative place to live.

Personally I have accepted an over-whats-allowed rent increase, to avoid giving the LL ideas of selling. I 100% believe it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Post #1

He says the rent no longer covers the mortgage on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You won't be the first HAP tenant to get a rent increase, can you check with them what happens when the rent goes up?

Surely they will pay some of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Again, you are just making up your own narrative to fit the thread.
    If you have some insight into the LL’s finances that goes beyond what the op has posted, please share it with us.
    The op has asked for advice on where to look for info if the LL increases the rent, then along you come and make all kinds of assertions which have to basis. We don’t know how long the LL has the house, whether it is in negative/positive equity, how much the mortgage has gone up, what his circumstances are etc etc, but you seem to know his financial position. That is impressive.

Thats the OP's comment. Maybe the LL meant the interest only? My point stands that you don't know, and neither by the way do I.

The LL will have other costs too and maybe they just dont have a profit anymore and kept going as long as they could making a loss. Again, the OP, you or anyone else does not know the LL actual financial position.

It's not wrong to want to make a profit on an investment in property. The professional / institutional LL definately are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, coming to some sort of agreement with this in mind is what I’m thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

sorry but this wrong. If costs have gone up such as mortgage and labour costs. This will directly have a bearing on the feasibility of rent.

In a normal setup, with costs going up, rent would typically go up(as long as the market allows it) however with the rules. It’s artificially blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Imagine if a landlord said that about a HAP tenant that was tearing the hole out of the system at the landlords direct expense.

There's a big subliminal hang up in Ireland about the title of landlord, it's an outdated word no longer applicable to the general population.

Most landlords these days are ordinary working people with 1 or 2 houses rented and they probably follow more savvy shopping and spending habits than their tenants because they have to.

There's never been any support, recognition or discussion about the accidental landlords who were spawned by the crash of the Celtic Tiger and who are still working all hours to supplement the crowd that think because 25 euro a week is stopped out of their free money that they are the victims.

The powers that be want small "landlords" out of the big picture and they will achieve their objective because the horse has already bolted.

The vulture funds were well christened by the people who created them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Most landlords these days are ordinary working people with 1 or 2 houses rented

People renting out 1 or 2 houses are not ordinary. They are already within the top 5% wealth in the state.

Vulture funds and REITs are not the same thing - institutional landlords are very rarely ever vulture funds, vulture funds buy distressed assets and attempt to squeeze any money out of them, they do not buy Irish rental property.

And accidental landlords have the option of selling, very very few would still be in negative equity after all this time. Its incredibly rare.

Have you data @timmyntc to back up that statement that people with one or two rentals are amongst the wealthiest 5% in the State?

Your anti landlord, but clueless about the rental sector postings continue.

How can you say 'Someone that owns 1 or 2 houses is in the top 5% wealth in the state ? Is that just based on made up on the spot percentages?

What is the amount of unencumbered wealth /asset and income that gets you into top 5%?

Not all properties are worth many hundreds of thousands and not all properties that are let out are mortgage free (as evidenced by your responses to OP).

Vulture funds are investing in residential property. Institutional Landlords can be Vulture Funds. Where is the source of your statement to the contary?

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

Rough calculation, but if his/her assertion were true, every LL with 1-2 properties would be worth just shy of €1m net. If you excluded the value of LLs primary residence and the population who don’t own rental properties from the equation, the percentage would be vastly different, so I’m going to call BS on @timmyntc statement.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I actually don't understand why people referring to it as a "title" at all. It's a person who owns a house they aren't living in and so rent out. There is some victim mentality among some that they are some sort of persecuted "group". Owning a house is not exactly a unique achievement (albeit it is unfortunately out of reach of many younger people at the minute).

I would lump the entitled brigades all in together in the same group. Whether that is the "foreva home" brigade or the "What do you mean my rent shouldn't be high enough to pay my interest and capital repayments and tax and have drinking money left over as well. And why shouldn't I be allowed to turf out my perfectly compliant tenant on a whim if I want to. They shouldn't have any rights" brigade.

In the same way that not all those availing of social schemes are in the former, not all those that rent out houses are in the latter. That fact shouldn't prevent anyone from criticising the ones that fall into those groups.

Well you can call whatever you like based on nothing more than your "beliefs" or what suits you if you want.

The figure I can find is that more than about 750k wealth put you into the top 10% in 2018. So timmyntc probably isn't wildly far off in reality. It doesn't state his claim verbatim, but based on your own figure of a million quid, it's probably ballpark even if not exact.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-hfcs/householdfinanceandconsumptionsurvey2018/wealth/

Feel free to provide an alternate source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭C3PO

Of course he is out by a large amount just because he counts no. of properties and not the value of them, mortgagd or owned out right. It was a baseless generalisation on Timmy's behalf.

Not sure if you are following the thread.

One poster said those with 1 or 2 houses rented are in the top 5%. Another poster gave a ballpark figure for wealth for such a person as being "€1m net" and saying that would be way off. I posted that based off that figure, the original poster would be in the right ballpark.

You link shows that 788k would get you into the top 10%. So even if there was nobody in the country with wealth between 788k and 1m, the original claim of 5% could only be off by 5%.

Take it up with @Dav010 for making said baseless generalisation then. I only used his claim of 1m.

• Advertisement

I believe It was Timmy that introduced the top 5% claim and Dav010 did not agree with it either.

Timmy introduced the 5%

Dav10 introduced the "€1m net" figure.

More than 788k (as other poster linked to) gets you to top 10%. Surely there will be a percentage or two with wealth between 788k and 1m? Even if it was only 2%, then that still gets you to top 8% at 1m. If there are 5% between 788k and 1m, then Timmy was bang on.

What is the argument here? Or the point of it? You're arguing off stats than can be at most off by 5% (of the population.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

I've been served a rent increase notice for 3rd year in a row, has anyone any experience in appealing it with the prtb?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

It’s perfectly ok for someone selling fuel, cars or food to set prices in order to maximise their profits- so why can’t a house owner rent out his property for a price that the market will deliver? If he asks for too much then he won’t get a tenant. If the shopkeeper’s bread is too expensive then he won’t sell it.

Also, any landlord that turns a profit can’t put this taxable earning into his pension and lower his tax, like he could with taxable earnings from any other venture. Can someone explain this one please?

My point was that that Timmy just threw out 5% with no facts to back it up.

Personally, I don't think owning 2/3 properties up to €1m (again Timmy put no figure on what the threshold for that was) will get you in the top 5% or even 10%. Even if it did, thats not anywhere close to being wealthy.

Using Timmy's 5% figure, that means 95% of Irish people are not wealthy. I would find that hard believe given the values of some peoples homes (again Timmy included home ownership as or in his wealth category). A lot of people in expensive homes are not living lavish lifestyles, including those with multiple properties. Reason: they cannot afford to

Enjoying watching the gymnastics here, this takes the cake though:

Using Timmy's 5% figure, that means 95% of Irish people are not wealthy

Eh? Original claim was the landlords renting out 2/3 properties were just ordinary people, being in top 5% or 10% of wealth holders is not ordinary, for those engaging in pedantry

Post the source of your claim that people who rent out 1-2 houses are in the top 5% of the population in terms of wealth. There will be no need for gymnastics when you post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭C3PO

Interesting maths … 10% is twice as much as 5%!

• Advertisement

It was your claim about their wealth etc. I don't see how you can make that claim without a credible source.

Advertisement