Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you are in a 4/5/6 seater then 4/5/6 people are going to be elected. So by only voting for 2 candidates you are leaving it up to everyone else to decide who is elected.

Personally I'd recommend that you do at least 4/5/6 votes based on the amount of seats, if necessary voting for your 'least worst' option at each step if you don't have anyone left you feel positive about. That way you theoretically have some say in every seat allocated. Entirely up to you obviously, and at another level I'm not bothered as by definition you increase the power of my lower preferences by not doing any yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

He is wrong for one simple reason. Ireland won't be an outlier. The implication of his argument is that Ireland should vote along orthodox lines so that we won't be the 'gadflys' of Europe. However that would be far from the case. The EU has a serious problem with democracy and accountability and there is barely a country in Europe that isn't acting accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never voted in EU elections but I will this year, so I have to find out how it all works.

There are a couple of things I don't understand

1/ Why are candidates running as representatives of Irish political parties. In the state you'd be voting for a party to be in government but that does not apply in the EU because it doesn't work like that.

2/ Why are there constituencies? Why can't I vote against those hard lefties in Dublin. I don't want Brid Smith in the EU parliament but I can't vote her down because I'm not in her constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's an interesting (and not doubt time consuming) piece of work to by the Dublin Enquirer to be fair to them to get responses from every running candidate on a range of topics.

Not really helping the notion that SF candidates won't open their mouths until head office tell them what to say there folks 🙄

Now, this is the kind of refreshing honesty I can get behind 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a note on each of the responses from the SF candidates in Ballymun/Finglas:

Note: Ballymun/Finglas LEA Sinn Féin candidates Anthony Connaghan,
    Mick Dowling and Leslie Kane submitted all their answers jointly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. It is probably unlikely that your 20th or 21st preference will become effective, but stranger things have happened. If your first prefernce goes to a candidate who stays in the race a long time but is eliminated on (say) the 10th count, your vote will be transferred to your "next effective preference". After 10 counts, a lot of the people to whom you gave your 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc preference will already have been eliminated or elected, and your vote will transfer to the next candidate to whom you have assigned a preference who is still in the race. That could be quite a low preference but, if a low preference becomes effective, it's just as effective as your first preference would have been.

Conside this hypothetical: there's one seat left to be filled, and it's going to be filled by either the grandstander or the fantasist. Do you have any preference at all about which of them should fill it, or are you genuinely completely indifferent as between these two possiblities? If you have even a mild preference for one of them over the other, give that one a higher preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’d definitely give him my vote if he were in my constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

1. The Irish political parties (like parties in other member states) are part of political groupings in the Parliament. E.g. Fine Gael are part of the European Peoples Party (Christian Democrats). While the European political parties don't form a government, their respective strengths in the Parliament do influence the makeup of the Commission and the allocation of the Commission portfolios, and of course it also determines the allocation of parliamentary positions, chairpersons of committees, etc.
    2. There are constituencies in the EU elections for the same reason that there are constituencies in national elections; to make the voter's choice manageable. It's bad enough to face an EU ballot paper with maybe 25 names on it; do you really want to have to face a ballot paper with 75 names on it? Plus, electing candidates based on geographic constituences fosters a connection between voters and their representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For #2 we have always used geographical constituencies. It makes sense in many ways - it allows the candidates to be able to canvass the entire constituency though admittedly that is somewhat skewed with such massive EU constituencies as Midlands North West. It also has ensured a wider spread of representatives, and has probably increased voter participation as you 'know' the candidates better. I personally wouldn't be beholden to the geographical constituency model and there may eventually be a better way.

#1 is an interesting question. I'm not sure why it is done that way. I guess it gives recognition (and hence advantage) to people who are standing for the traditional parties so it may be as simple as that. So maybe someone from FF/FG decided at the first EU elections that party names would be used and that's the way it has continued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You can be sure that local people in communities who have experienced the so called Dept of Integration might beg to differ. What use are local councillors if they have no say in what happens locally.

These elections will be used by the public to give the incumbents an almighty kick up the arse and may well bring them crashing down.

As to OP, I'll vote for any sane candidate not aligned with above shennanigans

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh absolutely they won't care a jot if that happens it was more a comment on what is likely to happen due to the saturation of (in the main) one issue independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭dmakc

With regret I will not be voting for a local candidate who has helped me in the past, on principle alone I can't bring myself to vote FG this term.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You can be sure that local people in communities who have experienced the so called Dept of Integration might beg to differ. What use are local councillors if they have no say in what happens locally.

Councillors, like TDs and MEPs have a specific role. A councillor has pretty much no more influence in who rents a building than you or I do. However, the council may have a role should the use of the building contravene planning or other rules.

These elections will be used by the public to give the incumbents an almighty kick up the arse and may well bring them crashing down.

To be honest, that is just a waste of a vote so don't come back complaining about how your council isn't working for you if you decide to vote for whatever anti-immigration eejit who has no actual interest in overseeing your area (as long as there are no dark skinned people around)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It the local reps who are members of any of the established parties (fg,ff, greens, sinn fein, SDs, pbp) really gave a crap about immigration crisis, tourism, or anything else affecting communities they would have already resigned from those parties.

Don't ever be fooled by fookers speaking with forked tongues telling the locals one thing, but still supporting the hierarchy in charge of this calamity.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yes but how else do the electorate communicate their dissatisfaction with the status quo? And make it heard.

I write on occasion to public reps expressing concerns. Do I ever hear back? No.

So if they're not wont to listen, then the only solution is to not vote for them and kick them out. What else would you suggest in a democracy? Either that or riot.

Take the planning issue in Wicklow ongoing, big investor building 'emergency' housing without planning. Local Ind councillor organises a public meeting, one other local rep attends. The rest hide like cowards even though planning and local governance are quite relevant. They all deserve to be removed from local office.

I notice some are trying to play this as if local councillors who are members of the parties in government or in opposition have absolutely nothing to do with the state of things.

They may not be able to vote in the Dail, but they are giving their complete support to the people that do by simply continuing their membership of the parties and running for election for those parties.

If you do not agree with what parties are doing in the dail then how can you vote for any of their members.

It is the same party, the councillors (and MEPs) have the same leader as the TDs that troop into the dail to back their leaders in votes.

If we want change in Ireland you will not get it by voting in the same old parties.

If you want the parties in the Dail to really listen to you now, you will not get them to listen if you back their MEP and council candidates.

They will continue to p**s all over you as your vote is taken for granted.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Feel free to vote for whoever you want but the local election should not be used to punish the actions of TDs. You should vote for someone who will best manage your county in the way you want. If it turns out that your (and others) protest candidate gets a seat and turns out to be an absolute cretin who has no interest in getting services to your area or improving infrastructure, etc then don't start moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just for the sake of completion it's up to the individual countries to decide how many constituences they want to have. Most countries only have a single national constituency. The countries that don't are:

• Belgium (3)
    • Ireland (3)
    • Italy (5)
    • Poland (13)
    • Germany has a mix of a national constituency and 16 state level constituencies

The countries that vote on a national basis mostly use a list system.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭mcgragger

doesnt matter who we vote for.

Independents cant do anything alone and the parties are beyond saving at this point.

• Advertisement

Correct. Likewise the European elections shouldn't really be used as a protest vote (as someone recommended earlier).

That's how we ended up electing people like Dana, Kathy Sinnott and Mick Wallace to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Independent only. A vote for a party candidate, no matter how good they are locally, will be viewed as an endorsement of national strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'll be voting based on

A) Hard work they do representing the community

B) The party they represent

I normally wouldn't vote for centre right parties. This time I will vote the entire ballot strategically in a way that might potentially block racist far right candidates. The way I see it there are at present 2 racist far right candidates who will be on my Local ballot, and 6 maybe 7 on my European ballot.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes I will use my vote to protest. It's one good way to deliver a message these days. Alternative to protesting outside their houses as we know that's not liked. There's a serious democratic deficit as far as I can see. The lack of regard politicians at local & national level have for the public is palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭zerosquared

EU: Whether the candidate supported Putin and didnt represent the people of Ireland and EU

Local: Whether my road be paved this century instead of filling potholes that develop in potholes

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭StoutPost

It matters very much that people vote. It's not true that independents can't do anything.

Examples (this doesn't mean I like or dislike) Tony Gergory, Luke Ming Flanagan - that will provoke them that are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭StoutPost

I will be voting for Independent Ireland candidates in local, European, and General Elections - unless something changes! I'm in MNW so Ciaran Mullooly will be getting my first preference vote in the European Parliament elections.

My main issues are

1, European Union directives/regulation over-reach and our member states additional red tape burdens.

2, Disability/health services.

3, Cost of living.

People complain about fragmentation of politics but this doesn't occur for no reason. I would agree with Michael Fitzmaurice assessment that like them or not, the green party have had candidates elected, are holding the balance of power, and getting their policies enacted.

I don't like the green party, which doesn't make me either right wing or anti environment (wait for it 🙄). I dislike their support of policies such as the Nature Restoration Law, which has a fluffy title but is about controlling the land I own the deeds to. And to pre-answer the accusation, keep your money.

Yeah we should vote such luminaries as the ex beauty queen, the ex jockey, the ex president of the GAA, etc, etc.

The old establishment are getting worried me thinks.

Funny how if things were going well we would told to vote for the candidates of the party that has done this, that and the other for you.

What will the excuse be when it comes time for the general election?

Let me guess, ff and fg strategy will be "you have to vote for us or the shinners will get in and they will be much worse".

I was responding to a post saying something along the lines of "local elections are important so don't make a protest vote - save that for the Euro election".

People can vote for whomever they want but I think it's a bit weird people voting for candidates for Europe that they wouldn't dream of voting for on a local basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Nearly given up on voting such is my lack of faith in Politicans actually doing anything.

Crime is the biggest issue in our area & the Aontu candidate is the only one who gave me a reasonable response to my issues so i'll vote for him.

Advertisement