Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,402 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As somebody who likes the Eurovision I think some of us wear rose tinted glasses when thinking of old Eurovision's.

Im looking forward to this Greece 2005 is one of my favorite winners.

Three Eurovision Queens: Helena Paparizou (Greece 2001, 2005), Sertab Erener (Turkey 2003) and Charlotte Perrelli (Sweden 1999) will be gracing the Second Semi-final on Thursday 9 May when they will invite the viewers to partake in a special sing along segment.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Today's rehearsals from semi final 2

Can't find a compilation video for today's big 5 rehearsals so just the UK will have to do

It's looking pretty good, but the song is still pretty tepid. Hopefully Olly can get a decent result.

Doesn't look like Rory/Panti will be tunning in this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Well, a couple of years ago a load of broadcasters threatened to pull out if Russia were allowed perform, so the EBU banned Russia.

Well past the time for that now, but it wouldn't have been impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

CEASEFIRE. While I wholly support the spirit of this, it’s very much like a political message if true. Not good, especially as there’s one country in the lineup who would have no problem raising a stink to cause as much trouble for us as possible given our general stance towards that other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the Israeli's themselves have turned up with a political metaphor of a song (supposedly about a relationship, but in reality about October 7th), so I wouldn't be paying too much credence to complaints from that quarter.

100% agree and they have no issue with making a political point but it’s double standards and they will shout the loudest and jump up and down the most if they feel another country is taking a political dig at them. It’s sad but true and it’s far easier sanction us than actually deal with the underlying issue by telling the Israelis that since their song is thinly veiled political spin, any other comment on their actions is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yup, That’s why I said this was risky on Bambie’s part. Now let’s see how bold that certain delegation will feel in possibly raising it as an issue. Keep in mind though that they already have a neck like a jockey’s xxx in being there with that song in the first place, and with the planned protest outside the venue during their performance etc.

Yup. That’s why if I was Bambi I wouldn’t get involved in the game. I think the best action with a country like Israel is to ignore them and put your own best foot forward and do your best to follow EBU rules. That is, don’t give Israel any rod to beat you with, because they’re not subtle and will seize the opportunity. I do think they should have been excluded but we are one of the few countries willing to call a spade a spade where Israel are concerned. We are very much on their radar.

• Advertisement

Ireland now up to seventh in the overall betting. This is the highest we've been at this stage since the 1990s….we're still several days out from the first semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭supereurope

Thinking of Linda Martin during this difficult time for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And up to 6th favourite to qualify from semi 1 too!

I think it's very slowly dawning on the fandom that the song might even be a contender to win - all year it has all been about Croatia, Switzerland, Italy, France, Ukraine, Netherlands, Belgium etc with Bambie written off as an absolute no hoper who mightn't even qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,350 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I know what you mean. I think it’s because there were SO many good songs in Liverpool last year that 2024 was always going to pale in comparison.

Personally, even now I’m still listening to ‘Tattoo’, ‘Who The Hell Is Edgar’, ‘Cha Cha Cha’, ‘Promise’, ‘Because Of You’, ‘Mama SC!’’, ‘Blood And Glitter’, ‘Unicorn’ and ‘Solo’.

Even the ones that didn’t qualify (‘Breaking My Heart’) - plus ones that weren’t even in the contest (Dadi Freyr’s version of ‘Whole Again’)!! 🙂

I’m currently rinsing the 2024 playlist on Apple Music, and there are only maybe four songs max. I’m loving.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Been so much build-up it almost feels like Eurovision should be tomorrow in some epic all day event with the semis in the afternoon :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm getting bloody really excited now…. were flying to Lithuania on Sunday to spend a week in our house there, and I've it set up properly (55" 4K TV on the wall and a soundbar/subwoofer combo….) and can't fcuking wait…… The only downside is they are 2 hours ahead over there so the shows will only be starting at 10PM… and the final will probably go til about 2am!!! (but it'll be worth it when we win).

Also, does anyone else thing Croatia have 'peaked' too soon?

The more I listen to it, the less excited I am by it…. 1st listen I thought it was brilliant, but like a sort of gimmick, it seems to wear off with additional listens…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It has probably occurred to you already to try to stay on Irish time for the duration :)

The thing with Croatia is a lot of people voting will only be going on first listen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

I still love Croatia, it has been my winner since I first heard it (barring a win for ourselves of course).

I think some of the other favourites are faltering a bit post rehearsals (Switzerland, Netherlands, even Italy) so they're in a good position. Would be great to see a new country win it too.

Looking at the odds I reckon we'll soon be overtaking Luxembourg into 5th for the semi.

• Advertisement

Good point about Croatia. The song was favourite to win Eurovision a whole two months ago. They have never finished in the top 3 in Eurovision….it would have been much better from their point of view if they had gone on a Bambie type trajectory and started creeping up the rails in recent weeks. Very hard for a small country to start building momentum in Eurovision week if they have been the favourite for two months - momentum may switch to other acts.

And perhaps a good example too of a country peaking too soon…in mid-March last year, it was all any Eurofan could talk about. But they messed up with the staging, it wasn't bad, just underwhelming. They had such a great chance to do something brilliant with it, but it was just 'meh.'

I'm thinking Croatia is this year's Austria, early hype, has lost some momentum as the contest comes closer and the staging looks terrible. It'll still do well, but I don't think anyone should be making provisional hotel bookings in Zagreb.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I worry that the hope will kill me. The great thing over the last few months has been that no clear favourite has emerged. Yes, there's been talk about Croatia or Switzerland or Belgium but none of them have stood head and shoulders above the other contenders. I thought rehearsals might have made things clearer, but they've only confirmed to me that there is no clear favourite and the winner could be anyone, and as things look today, that anyone could be us.

Some of the rehearsal footage of the favourites has been very underwhelming making me wonder if any of them want to actually win this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ever since day 1, I've just felt that Doomsday Blue could win the contest… Its the first Irish entry probably since The Voice that I just feel its a potential winner.. it's utterly brilliant.. and I honestly just can't shake that feeling… and the last few days, seeing the rehearsal clips, reaction videos, comments on those videos, the odds going down etc… everything, it just all feels like it's coming together and falling into place.. (My OH is mostly following from the Lithuanian perspective/media, and they've all been blown away by Bambi).

The Dubstep/Metal crescendo at the end is going to sound (and hopefully also look) f u c k i n g amazing in the arena… I cannot emphasise that enough… its going to blow the roof off the arena. And the baseline through the accoustic/pink section is absolutely killer…. and the fact they didn't show any of either of those sections in the rehearsal clip was a great move in my opinion.

I'm expecting a huuuuuuge reaction in the arena on Tuesday.

I was shocked (but delighted) it won Eurosong, and the spidey senses have been tingling ever since..

And then it turns out Bambi is half Swedish….. and it's 7-7, going into injury time…. it's written in the stars isn't it?

I was watching an interview with Bambie's Spanish stage director and he says the first 30 seconds is by no means the best part of the song, there's much better stuff coming later - it's a great song and performance that holds your attention for the full three minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It stood out big time versus the competition on the late late (I had a bet on it!) I also have a bet on top 10 in final, I think that is very realistic, I just can't see it winning personally, I can see top 5 at a big push. Picking this over the safe, dated options was a no brainier.

In my opinion Ireland has a lot of legacy issues, a series of very poor songs, poor singers, poor performances, has left a lasting impact on our reputation, especially Dustin, it's all good sending something out there but that was a complete piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,181 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Marty Whelan again it seems.

RTE are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Would you by any chance know where that was said? Very keen to read up on it

Yes, it's a long interview in Spanish but you can switch on English subtitles.

He says they deliberately chose the first 30 seconds to showcase, as they didn't want to reveal too much about the rest of the performance. It sounds like the entire three minutes is epic and in the same vein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Government must be sweating a bit in case there is a chance we will win it.

With everything else going on here at the moment it will be much the same in 12 months time and staging the Eurovision is probably the last thing they want!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement