Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It looks like it has been put together by a top film director. Really beautiful and cinematic and camera shots that take you by surprise - for example when the dancer appears in front of Bambie out of nowhere at 0.29.

This is pure art : even Loreen's cinematography last year wasn't at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

We've just gone top five in the odds, ahead of The Netherlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

John Creedon is going to play the alternative version later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

About time they got some more airplay on RTE radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know crazy and I want Netherlands 🇳🇱 to win 🏆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I suppose now is as good a time as any to welcome all the Non-Eurovision-Loving boardsies to this thread, who are only here to watch Bambie qualify!

Where were you when the rainforests fell, etc. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I’m surprised Johnny Logan wasn’t cast in the upcoming Mad Max film - he has the look of a grizzled tribe leader who remembers ‘the before time’.

He has the distressed leather jacket too. 🙂

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

it’ looks like I’ll have to go back and multi quote the 10-15 or so times I said we were going to win the Eurovision….. and I’m still convinced we are winning.

That looks epic….

• Advertisement

Today was the first time I thought the same. I've had us down for top 3-6 for the last week or two (backed Bambie at 33/1 last week), but the TV clips we've seen today have moved the thing to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

favtastic! Much better than last years entry prancing around in a shiny pants that looked like they’d been picked up off the floor of a jacks after he had explosive diarrhoea! Well done Bambi!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"You weren't there during....Donna and Joe...Sarah McTernan..."

God in fairness the list of dreck goes on and on doesn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That camera work is impressive. Is that something Ireland's team would be responsible for in terms of scripting and choreography, or is it just one team doing it for all entrants?

The whole thing is done by Bambie's own creative team (they've hired a young, relatively unknown Spanish stage director). Camera shots and angles, the lighting, graphics on the big screen etc would all be designed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

The good reception online to the Irish entry is getting my hopes up. I don’t want to cause it usually ends up in disappointment. If we can be in the last 10 countries to get their televotes announced it’ll be a decent result

Best of luck to Bambi today! They deserve a qualification I think. Even if things don’t go as hoped I think there’s a big lesson in this for RTE. Bambi have their own people looking after the serious stuff like presentation and videography and it shows. We wouldn’t be doing so well in the polls but for it.

The days of picking some half baked entry on the Late Late engineered to win because their manager is buddies with the RTE in crowd and then sending them off with half arsed staging and production are over. No matter how Bambi get on now I really hope this lesson dawns on RTE. I get the feeling the plan wasn’t for Bambi to win Irish Eurosong. They did though and were all the better for it. It’s honestly great as a long term Eurovision fan to actually feel like we have a dog in the fight for once. I don’t think I’ve felt this way since the 90s if I’m honest and I don’t expect a win but if we get to the final, which I kind of expect, who knows!!

#NeverForget

this is where we were only 12 short months ago…

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

Oh RTE absolutely didn't plan on Bambie winning Eurosong. Placing them second in the running order, fast tracking the Louis Walsh boy band and Erica Cody and giving them the best slots. They haven't got a clue.

I really hope this is the catalyst for change going forward but I'll believe it when I see it.

I will say that whoever is managing the RTE One twitter account is doing a great job at the moment, so much more promotion than usual and interaction with the fans.

this is going to be epic from within the arena….

The candles appear to have not worked as they should during this performance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Like much of the country, good luck to Bambi and all that but I won’t be watching this year.

Can anyone tell me why Russia was rightly banned last year but Israel is not being banned this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The jury will be afraid not to put the witch through to the final tonight. They do not want to be turned into newts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

bring back the turkey

Don’t forget Bambie is fourth in tonight’s running order.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This was Cruachan's entry, maybe a wee bit repetitive, but comfortably better than most of the songs that got through to the national final, they were unlucky not to make it that far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

That staging looks so creative and yes, beautiful. With the camerawork which looks to be impressive as well, I would be so disappointed if Bambie didn’t qualify through this evening - but I’m sure they will!

I love how you can hear a smile in Bambie’s voice when they sing, they really are such a unique artist. You can see that they are enjoying themselves in this ESC madness. It’s a case of an an artist coming from the alternative scene, being very widely recognised and embraced now, and they seem to be sweetly appreciative of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭corkie

I don't get people not watching as form of protest, as if your viewership is going to have any effect on the outcomes of Palestinian.

In fairness to RTE though, they have given Bambie and the team a huge amount of artistic freedom with staging the entry and haven't blocked them at all.

well Israeli flags should also be banned by the same token. This really is the EBU’s mess by not kicking out Israel at the first opportunity. There should be no exceptions. It’s a shame the Israelis are treated with kid gloves which would justified given past wrongs but with their current stance they deserve nothing different to Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I did watch the music video for the Irish song and it’s certainly different than anything before.

It seems from everything I’ve being seeing is that we should qualify, which would deprive us of the now near annual Marty Whelan melt down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement