Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The rest of the semi final 2 rehearsals

And here's the automatic qualifiers

The UK one has got a bit of a reaction 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

UK, I don’t see the issue? Who doesn’t like to see a bit of gay action on the ceiling? So many prudes around these days………

Germany :

Sweden: no words to express how forgettable this entry is.

France looks like trying to set some kind of record featuring distance of singer from mic, to points awarded ratio.

Spain, can’t be bothered.

Italy, not so “boring” to me. One of my favourites and I think she will finish in the top 5 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The UK one is confusing the **** out of me. Is that a live stage performance? How are they on the ceiling? Were they all bitten by radioactive spiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭supereurope

The draw has taken place to decide which half of the grand final the Big 5 perform in. Olly has drawn first half, as has Germany. France has drawn second half, which should help their televote score. Italy and Spain are "producer's choice." Not sure how I feel about these new categories, but I guess I'll just have to see.

https://eurovision.tv/story/malmo-grand-finalists-draw-halves

Post edited by supereurope on

Désirée Nosbusch, presenter of the 1984 contest (40 years ago today!) and presenter of the Luxembourg selection this year, will be the Luxembourgish spokesperson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A Eurovision documentary on BBC Radio 2 tomorrow (Monday 6th May) at 2pm - focused on 1974 Brighton (so covering similar terrain to the recent BBC4 night). There may be Wombles.

Abba and Beyond: The Story of Eurovision 74 with Scott Mills: Scott Mills examines Abba's victory at the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with Waterloo at the Brighton Dome, featuring interviews with the band's Bjorn Ulvaeus and Anni-Frid Lyngstad.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambie attended the Red Carpet event this afternoon and has fully recovered - looks like the food poisoning was just a 24 hour thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Best of luck to Bambie this week and hope they’ve recovered well from the food poisoning dose. Great to have a different feel around Ireland’s Eurovision entry for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Marty Whelan has a great tan to be fair.

He is giving me Pat Mustard in a suit vibes...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bambie meets Spanish hotelier Tony Martinez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tony "seafood special during happy hour" Martinez?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bambie’s odds have just gone down after being pictured with Marty 😁

AH YEAH!

Things really kick off in earnest today, with the semi-final 1 dress rehearsal this afternoon, followed by another one this evening, and that one is run as if it were the live show (I believe this show will be recorded and used as a back-up in the event of any issues during the live show.) This evening is also when the backup juries will vote.

We may well get videos from the arena today and I do know there is a Spanish website that likes to publish TV clips from the evening rehearsal.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

As much as I'm looking forward to the action starting tomorrow, there doesn't feel like a huge amount of suspense as to who'll qualify. There's about eight qualifiers that I think will make it with ease, whilst Serbia, Slovenia and maybe Portugal will battle it out for the last place or two. I was initially very nervous about Ireland not making it but the reaction to our rehearsal clip has restored confidence.

I also think by the time Saturday rolls around Ireland will be listed as one of the favourites to win. I don't think we actually will be a contender, but any time Ireland sends something decent and qualifies the market always overreacts. At one stage we were third favourite heading into the 2018 final, and we were as high as second back in 2011. I hope we will actually be a contender though, I think Doomsday Blue is one of this years best songs and this year is definitely ripe for someone to emerge from nowhere and steal the win. Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Good to hear Bambie's rehearsal went well although I'm not too keen on the costume change but we'll have to wait & see how it all looks on screen. I think we're a sure qualifier and for once I'll be hugely shocked if we don't qualify.

It'll be interesting to see the social media reaction tomorrow night and how the odds might shift wildly again…

I managed to catch one minute of the official TV feed and I think we're winning Eurovision (!!) This is off the scale staging and camerawork…..think The Common Linnets from NL in 2014, but even better and more artistic and cinematic. Goosebumps for every single moment of it (the arena videos don't even begin to do it justice).

Think I saw the same video as you and I thought she sounded shaky vocally? It looks incredible though, looking forward to seeing the whole thing!

• Advertisement

I'd say it must be the best filmed Eurovision entry of the last ten years from any country….the camerawork and cinematography is absolutely out of this world.

I wouldn't worry at all about Bambie's vocals. It was an afternoon rehearsal and they were probably just holding back a tiny bit vocally and concentrating on the choreography and picking out the right camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

I saw 2 minutes & 20 seconds leaked video. One word…… showstopper!!!! Vocally Ok, however it was only an afternoon rehearsal, but visually stunning. Ireland now 6th in the odds table!!!

Also up to 9th in top 10 betting odds...brilliant to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭squarecircles

SPOILER ALERT Leaked footage of todays official rehersal of Bambie, this is PHENOMENAL personally this obliterates all the competiton… iv never seen camera work executed so well in all my years watching the ESC up to 4th to qualify now, this type of momentum is crucial at this time frame

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Eurovision channel just uploaded Bambi's cover of in your head by the Cranberries it's brilliant 👏 👌 I'm saying this now ,if Ireland fail to qualify I will cause uproar , but thankfully we are favourited

Good chances of even finishing in the top 10 on Saturday, I still personally think Israel shouldn't be allowed in it ,if Russia ain't allowed for invading ukraine then same should apply for Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

I love that Bambie won the press poll and is shooting up the odds again.

This is so exciting after all the years of utter shite we've had to endure as Irish fans!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement