Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ronnie sleep walking to number 8 eh?

Bingham was brilliant tonight.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Augme

Most of the young hot shots haven't won a WC though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

JOURNEYMAN??? Former world and Masters champion.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Only 1 player in the top 24 left standing. Wilson will never have a better chance

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bingham's run in 2015 is one of my favourite sporting memories, he seems to have found that form again, he probably will be favourite this time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I look at that final 4 and I think of poor Jimmy White....

6 finals lost.....he was so good aswell....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah and he beat Ronnie, Trump and Murphy to win the WC, not like he had a handy draw either.

Mark Allen now World number 1.

Jak Jones only up to 24 even though he's made a World quarter final last year, and World semi final this year.

There was a time a few good Crucible runs would have you in the top 8, but with all the tournaments now, unless you make the final in Sheffield, you need to be performing all year to stay in the top 16

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I said earlier he needed an unlikely set of results to hold onto the provisional no.1 spot, but there you go.

Bingham is probably now the favourite which means he'll definitely lose his next match.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ONky 3 players have more maximums than bingham too and 2 of those are considered the best ever and another has 4 world champs.

Bingham has maybe underachieded considering his talent(world amateur champ too) but far from journeyman

If Kyren Wilson doesn't make the final, John Higgins drops out of the top 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Looking at the last four looks like a big chance missed by Ronnie ,Hendry will be happy tonight. Wonder will Stuart keep it together he would have to be fav now .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,050 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bingham on form is a monster player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Augme

Great result by Bingham. On his day he can be incredible, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he lost against Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Bingham the clear favorite now, Ronnie just couldn't find the form, really Bingham was his first test, Page and Day just couldn't muster anything even though they had the chances, especially Day…I mean he should of won that match.

He'll be kicking himself because he'll probably never have an easier run in to the final again, had he won tonight he'd of been a shoe in for the 8, I just couldn't see Jones, Wilson or Gilbert putting it up to him even with how bad he was.

Only downside is probably a whole weekend listening to Wilson go on about Bradley and Finlay. They are his sons, fair enough, enjoy yourselves at the event, and good luck to you all, but to be honest mate it's only of limited enough interest to the outside World.

Ronnie did play well enough this afternoon and evening, probably would be enough to see him home against the remaining players, Bingham just played out of his skin and didn't wilt when Ronnie tried to put the pressure on.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Bingham was considered a journeyman before the increase in tournaments because of the amount of pro-am stuff he used to play.
    No way he’s a journeyman this evening. Or for the past 10 years.
    Some players can stay composed, even when Ronnie opens his box of tricks, like he did earlier. Others, as seen this week, hand him the win before a ball is potted. Day couldn’t function against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

He mentioned them in his interview on Eurosport after his match against Higgins. And other members of his family, his brothers I think. He also talked his wife Sophie. I'm sorry, I didn't ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I turned off the TV and went for a walk when at 10-10 Ronnie on an easy blue to middle messed up position and missed a red playing it I think left-handed. I thought that's it, it's over.

Ronnie’s antics earlier were interesting. Pulling the ref on her placement of the black, then refusing to play until he had silence in the arena.
    You’d think he’d be well aware and used to the two-table setup by now.
    I felt he did the latter to try to and unsettle Bingham, which failed miserably.

I’ve seen him pull these stunts before in an effort to dominate the refs. She showed absolutely zero authority; pleading to get him back to the table and appeasing him by lifting and re-spotting the black numerous times after stating she was happy with its position. Pathetic.
    He even told her to chill out at one point.

Anyway, this evening, it was a sign of smoke coming from under the bonnet. A last gasp effort to swing the match back in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

PPoor tournament with many of the older crew showing their age! There's a changing of the guard going on, the only questions are how long it will take and how good are the guys coming through! Snooker needs a character or two, when I look at the semi's I just have a big yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Haven't seen anyone play better than Wilson this tournament tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"He'll be kicking himself because he'll probably never have an easier run in to the final again".

Ronald has had equally easy runs in previous WC winning years. Bingham played well, but couldn't say he was on fire or anything remotely close. He needed 4 chances in the last frame to get over the line.

I think some people turn a blind eye to just how bad the standard is at times or just don't see it. Look at some of the players who were in the World Championship this year. Journeymen is what I 'd call them, as I did earlier in the tournament.

I don't agree that Bingham is a journeyman, but he's provisionally ranked number 31 I think at the moment. He's down there for a reason. I believed if he turned up and played decent he could beat O'Sullivan, which is what he did. So that should say something.

When you look at the 4 semi-finalists, it's not awe inspiring. I've never rated Wilson, and his nickname "The warrior". Pfft! He got mauled by Higgins last year 13-2. He was equally mauled in the 2020 final(in the running for one of the worst Championships ever) by O'Sullivan. I'm pretty sure he hasn't won a triple crown event. And he's the only ranked player left.

Gilbert is a journeyman.

Jones is a journeyman.

Bingham has 2 triple crown titles to his name, the 2015 WC and the 2020 Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Think you watched a different match than me. Sort of amusing watching Ronnie wind himself up while Bingham stayed perfectly focused and ignored it all. Ref did her job getting people to their seats after a player complained.

She actually asked the crowd to be quiet just for this one shot as it’s an important one.

EVERY shot is important at that point of a world quarter final!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The BBC don’t help with the Wilson Family chat. They had a segment where Hendry and Murphy scribbled words on a blackboard in chalk. Supposed to sum up a player. And what was one of the first things Murphy wrote about Wilson? “FAMILY”.

I started laughing and thought his nickname should be Kyren “I have a family” Wilson.

I think the thing that annoys me about Wilson is that he acts a part almost. Tries to look and sound like what he thinks a World Title winner acts. But he hasn’t won one!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

And someone tried to tell me this is the strongest field ever? Definitely the weakest. Weakest semi-final pairings I've ever seen. If this was the early 00's, the lot of them would be also rans. Dearth of talent in the game definitely.

Delighted O'Sullivan is gone. Absolute fraud of a player. Always tries to be controversial for it's sake, completely disingenious most of the time. Thinks he's being like Alex Higgins or White, but they were genuine working class lads. This guy has got a bad boy people's champion reputation, partly cause his parents went to jail and he partied (mad b*stard eh!), but they don't realise he's always been a privileged toff, who looks down his nose at others. You see that self rightious indignation in his attitude, a nasty streak, that only a certain type of person carries. Has the armchair fans fooled.

Even in his attitude to the game and tour in general. It's easy knowing he was always handed everything in life. Bitter and arrogant, when he loses he "didn't want to win anyway" and "doesn't care", to belittle the achievment of others. Can't handle defeat so carries this nasty streak. A hallmark of the self righteous toff, who was always told they were the best and handed everything. Good riddance to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bingham is a journeyman in a decent field. The problem with snooker, the talent of the field has been in decline since circa 2005, as the players aren't coming through. The sport has simply declined in popularity since.

So you could say Bingham is solid by the standards since 2005, but a journeyman in the era that came before. Most of todays field are journeyman by them parameters tbh

Advertisement