Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I think intra-Dublin rivalries would develop fairly quickly so it wouldn't be long before the supporters of each divisional side are not supporters of any of the others! But if, in the short term, we get even more interest in Dublin, as supporters from each divisional side follow and support the other ones, that would be a good outcome too.

It's because the GAA isn't a court of law, and is a sporting organisation, that it can be done. The argument has been won on the merits of a split (decades ago in fact) due to the current unfairness. So it'd be a matter of explaining the merits of split, apologising to Dublin for allowing this situation to develop and then proceeding. Sure, there may be some cranks in Dublin who would refuse to participate if it's only via fairer divisional sides. But if the choice was between competing in a divisional side, or not competing at all, most players would opt for the chance to challenge for Sam Maguire. And even better, they would know they are no longer doing so from an unfairly advantaged platform so they could take real pride in their successes, unlike at present.

Again without a Kerry split Gaelic games will slowly die , Kerry supporters only come up in big numbers for finals , attendances are down in Munster due to Kerry's advantages for over a century , Kerry dominance in Munster 84 ridiculous titles and 38 All Ireland titles is the biggest issue in the GAA .

I think 2 Kerry rivalries would develop really quickly actually , and there supporters might start enjoying there victories again , also it would give the weaker Counties in Munster a little hope after over a century of Kerry domination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

sounds like what Kerry have been doing for a hundred years. I agree it’s not the best solution but how is it any different to the model in place now? You can’t argue it’s suddenly not ok because it’s Dublin rather than Kerry

your commentary really is a joke at this stage. You don’t actually know if you’re coming or going. On the one hand you talk about integrity and fairness yet on the other hand you refuse to engage on any of the myriad unfair advantages that it’s been pointed out exist for your own team

Tell you what, why not let RoyalCelt answer instead of sticking your oar in with your standard nonsense. You after all a) are incapable of seeing the wider, longer problem, b) don’t care about Leinster or provincials (except when someone has a proposal that might affect your own counties dominance of Munster) c) given a) and b) you have no concept of how unlevel the playing field has been since long before Dublin were on top

Would the finals be less poorly attended than Kerry-Cork games?

But you claimed that that structure was and is unfair? But you're okay with it in Dublin's case. Interesting- shows your partisan bias again, which contrasts unfavourably with those of us who just want what is best for the GAA as a whole. Not saying I agree with you, just pointing out your hypocrisy, again.

Your information is quite out of date anyway. Excluding the covid years, the provincials-semi-final only route hasn't existed since 2000. There has been the backdoor, the Super-8s, the group stages etc since then. Even then, pre-2001, no county had the advantages that Dublin did. And Dublin's unfair advantages are much worse today too.

It's because I focus on integrity and fairness that I hone in Dublin's unfair advantages- it's the biggest issue facing gaelic games. No comparable advantages exist for any other county, especially not when you take that Dublin have those unfair advantages in combination into account. So when it comes to unfair advantages, the only thing worth discussing is Dublin.

RoyalCelt can answer too, my post doesn't stop him from doing so. I look forward to the response actually as he is one of the posters who fully recognises Dublin's unfair advantages, which is important for progressing our discussion. And it's important too that you are educated on your partisan viewpoint and how it may differ from people who just want what is best for the game. It will help you better understand the need to split Dublin.

So a) it's because I see the see the wider problem b) care about Leinster (and all counties) and c) understand how Dublin alone are uniquely unfairly advantaged in the GAA that I want Dublin alone to be split

• Advertisement

Per head of population, Kerry vs Cork was far, far better attended than the Leinster semi-finals this year, which Dublin participated in. Which shows again how not splitting Dublin is harmful to the game in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

It is quicker - GAA has been rearranging Championship set up for years, what's one more change

It is cleaner- see above, no messing with boundaries

It is fairer - means more even spread of competitive games so thar counties like Kerry, Dublin don't get clean run at quarters. Also every team now guaranteed 7 games, against random opponents, so a Summer full of matches.

You repeatedly say 'clear advantages to all counties' without saying any of them except Dublin will be weakened, so bit more chance for Kerry, Mayo, Ulster winner to win. I can see minimal impact on 90% of teams. Your solution seems to be split Dublin and all will be good.

Yes, I think getting rid of league and replacing it with open draw might lead to some mismatches, but that's happening now anyway. Would the novelty of Kerry travelling to Louth, or Dublin away to Clare not bring interest. As well as mid teams fighting to stay in Championship bring excitement. More games for everyone, more interest and then a straight knock out. 16 games almost each weekend, some of them have to be crackers.

And I keep coming back to make Provincial councils more powerful, and get them to prioritise their province's well being rather than individual county's. Spread the wealth, and resources.

It involves a lot more matches, a lot of restructuring of games etc. Whereas Dublin would just be a matter of divvying up population. No need for new stadiums or anything, just some new jerseys and crests and away we go. But most importantly, it definitely isn't fairer, for the reasons I've given- as Dublin are still a single entity, their unfair advantages in population, funding, playing at home etc have not been addressed. We'd be back discussing how Dublin alone are competing unfairly again next year, as always. That's the main issue facing gaelic games.

Splitting Dublin alone helps all counties in multiple ways, but the main is that the competition is being harmed terrible atm because of Dublin alone being uniquely unfairly advantaged. But if we split Dublin, we address this, which enhances the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition and by extension all teams who participate. It may benefit the smaller counties more, yes, as they are less competitive currently than the stronger teams, but I'm happy to make that tradeoff.

Again, how does a weaker Dublin benefit smaller counties? Ok the All Ireland quarter ffinals onwards become a bit more competitive, but that benefits the Sligos and Carlows how. Pride in being knocked out at the exact same stage but at least the Semi final was good?

And what happens to this idea if suddenly its Dublin v Dublin in a semi final or final - you think a split Dublin won't be able to attract in even more sponsorship.

And I love the way the split is just so simplified as 'divvying up population' - 'you can have Tallaght but we want Clondalkin', 'The Liffey cuts through Lucan so they'll have to be divided'. Are the Dublin Leagues to be 2 county now as well, who qualifies for which team, can players transfer? Is Parnell Park home for just 1 team, does a 'South' Dublin team get visitation rights to Croker? What divisions so they go into in league? All simply enforced?

And also regards 1st point you raised, how does it involve a lot more matches.

Provincial Championships replace O'Byrne and similar, Open draw replaces league, quarters onwards fairly similar. Pretty much exact same number of games a year, only a bit more mixed up, more gate receipts for smaller counties as they get bigger games than just division 4 matches, some tougher or easier games for all but no different than the mis matches we see in Leinster and Munster now, except Kerry, Dublin, Galway and Mayo may suddenly be facing Donegal, Derry, Roscommon early for positional rights in quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Eh?? I didn't mention anything about Dublin being split. You're barking up the wrong there buddy. In fact, a few pages back (if I recall correctly), I think I mentioned that my opinion is that Dublin should not be split.

As I said already, it enhances the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition- just as all counties are currently harmed by Dublin competing off of a platform of unfair advantages, all counties will benefit from splitting Dublin. Interest and participation will increase, particularly for the less competitive teams. The improvements will be marginal to begin with, but will be more pronounced over the years. One thing is for sure- not splitting Dublin will do irreparable damage to the competition and all counties who participate. I actually had a similar discussion with another poster, Yeah Right, recently where I showed to him conclusively how splitting Dublin helps Leitrim for instance.

The boundaries will obviously a bit of discussion, debate, negotiation, compromise but it's really not that difficult- it could be done in a few months. Stadiums and etc can be shared so no issues there. Yes there will be some details that need hammering out but it's easily doable.

I think sponsorship should be centrally pooled and shared with all counties anyway, so your point about Dublin SouthEast vs Dublin NorthWest in a final isn't really relevant. Even that would be preferable to the status quo though, where all Dublin's unfair advantages are concentrated into a single entity, doing terrible damage to all counties.

Oh yes, you did say you'd abolish the league tbf, so probably would break even in terms of games, apologies there. I wouldn't agree with that though, think the league is often better than the championship these days. Look, maybe your proposal has merit, maybe not- it can discussed and debated, just so long as Dublin are split first.

Again you don't want what's best for the GAA. This is pure nonsense , all you want is to get Kerry back to dominating by splitting Dublin .

The biggest issue facing Gaelic games is Kerry's unfair advantages for over a century , you don't focus on integrity and fairness , that is clearly nonsense . All you care about is Kerry continuing with there advantages ,you 100% don't care about the absolute sham that is Munster, hopefully going forward you are educated in your partisan view and that it will help you better understand the need to split Kerry .

Post edited by dunnerc on

• Advertisement

More nonsense , everyone knows Kerry supporters only support there County in big numbers for finals . This shows again how not splitting Kerry is harmful for the game

Again more nonsense ,no argument has been won on the merits of any split , however due to the current unfairness with Kerry dominating Munster with 84 ridiculous titles and 38 All Ireland titles won with over a century with unfair advantages , they should be split , it would be a matter of explaining the merits of the split , apologising to Kerry for allowing this situation to continue for over a century and then proceeding . Sure there maybe some grumps in Kerry refusing to participate , but most of them the players would opt for the chance to compete for Sam and be happy in the knowledge they were doing it in a fair way and take pride in there successes, unlike at present .😁

Again Kerry are uniquely unfairly advantaged for over a a century, if we split Kerry we address this and this will enhance the prestige .integrity and fairness of the competition , this will benefit all Counties including Kerry .

Again all issues can be discussed , just as long as Kerry are split first .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The problem is Dublin won't agree to a split and it's unfair to do so while they still lag behind Kerry in total titles won. Kinda embarrassing because Kerry is a real county but who cares.

For now just put them directly into the AI group stage's or let Dublin compete in a different province every year so they'll only be in Leinster every 4 years. That would bring excitement to every province.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Leinster is fine. Don't care about the AI stage. The priority needs to be to save multiple Leinster counties from the Dublin depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah ok, I thought thats what you were getting at.

Anyway - to the point you challenged me on; would it really be an advantage for Dublin in your view if they went straight to a Quarter Final. For years, Galway went straight to the semi final in hurling, and actually there was a debate as to whether they were helped by it as they were straight into big matches against battle hardened teams.

The trade off could potentially be a revitalised Leinster Championships that will of course lead to the return of the Royal county as a vibrant force in the all Ireland senior mens football championship. Thats a trade off worth taking.

When youve got lads like Dean Rock saying they dont know how many Leinster titles they have, then you really have to say that Dublin dont care about this competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Unless it works for Wicklow v Cork changing Dublin is only a temporary sticking plaster, that only benefits the next most dominant club at that time.

Then is it fair to make Wicklow on par with Cork. Doesn't feel like it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement