Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, but the Minister for Finance hasn't. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭crl84

This is pretty meaningless without knowing what the total numbers and chargers per capita are.

Anyone can set piss-easy targets and exceed them, versus setting ambitious targets and failing to meet them (yet still have far more than the country with low targets).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭wassie

Its based on internal EV uptake projections (links in the article @innrain posted)

As an observation, in my experience of travelling around all parts of the country for the last 3.5 years in an EV all throughout the year, I think those stats are pretty bang on wrt Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭wassie

EV startup Fisker has had to announce to the market its on the verge of bankruptcy in line with compliance reporting obligations. This is no surprise as the writing has been on the wall since late last year.

So unless they get thrown a lifeline, it will be curtains for the Fisker show.

They have been slashing prices on the Ocean. In the UK, prices have been reduced by up to £14,000 on some models. i.e an Ocean Ultra that retailed for £58,000 can be had for £44,000.

Could be a bargain to be had, provided you overlook the build quality and buggy software.

Oh….and make sure you read the fine print at the bottom of the page

Due to the current economic situation of the manufacturer Fisker Group Inc. and the Fisker sales companies in Europe, there is a risk of limited support and limited services for the vehicles. Buyers must expect a permanent loss of the enforceability of claims for material defects and warranty claims. By concluding a vehicle purchase contract after April 3, 2024, the buyer of a Fisker Ocean declares that he has been informed accordingly and nevertheless wishes to purchase a Fisker Ocean in view of the risk described.

There are going to be some very, very unhappy and extremely concerned Ocean owners…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've been planning a long UK trip and looking around on Plugshare. One thing that struck me is the large amount of 7kW points. I've rarely seen them here. Where I have has been mostly an old almost domestic style installation that happens to be public, stuck on the side of a hotel or bar. But over there, 7kW is very widely available. Not necessarily a bad thing either. One location I may use is a large hub at a train station park and ride, which is mostly 7kW*, which makes sense for people taking the train into town for hours.

150kW CCS x 2

100kW CHAdeMo x 2

22kW x 8

7kW x 24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I might be wrong but I seem to recall there's a lot more people over there without driveways, so public AC would be a lot more popular

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

Pretty sure would be popular if it would have existed in Dublin. From the Dublin LA EV strategy document in Dublin City only 56% of residents have access to off street private parking.

This means that the remainder of 44% would be nicely served by some form of AC charging. People would feel confident to buy an EV instead of an ICE. Whatever they say in that document you cannot cater for 44% of the population with one or two DC charging hubs. BTW the said policy was released June of 2022 and nothing happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭markpb

UK councils have been proactive about installing and managing AC charge points. Irish councils are waiting for someone to tell them to do it or, more likely, give them a reason not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Or money to install 100 and they'll install 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

the Import policy unit of Revenue. 
    It seems from the 1st of May veichles bought in NI from a dealer or once they have been in private ownership for more than 90 days will no longer need customs clearance and can be brought directly to the VRT without pay 10% duty 

I highlight in black what is probably going to be problematic when you get to the VRT 

"I  refer you to our guidance and in particular examples provided in the appendix. From 1st May 2nd hand vehicles sold by a motor dealer do not require a SID as the dealer should have completed appropriate customs formalities on entry into NI from GB.

In relation to vehicles purchased privately there will be no customs formalities once the vehicle has been in private ownership in NI for a reasonable period of time. This will be on a case-by-case basis as it should be a legitimate sale following private use for what could be considered as a realistic period of time. For example, is the vehicle purchased and used by a private individual or organisation or is it a sale by a motor dealer? Is the vehicle resold quickly to subvert customs formalities or VAT? Are there extenuating circumstances?  "

• Advertisement

I agree, but unfortunately Ecars and the Dublin councils don't and are focusing on DC charging in the short term

Basically Ecars said AC chargers don't make money here and so DC charging is more likely to pay for itself

I've always maintained that the reason AC chargers don't make sense is because Ecars insist on having dual 22kW units with a meter connection per pillar, which means you only get two charging spaces at most

Since most EVs on sale today don't charge faster than 11kW your utilisation almost never goes above 50%. Only on the off chance two Zoe's plug into the same charger do you use the full 44kW

Whereas if you had 6x 7kW chargers on the same connection your utilisation would be closer to 100% and sell more kilowatt hours (the stuff you make money on) over a given day

You're very optimistic, I'd be surprised if they managed more than two 😬

Jokes aside, there is already a scheme which allows councils to apply for funding up to 75% of the installation costs of charging equipment

Last I heard only 3 councils had applied, although that was over a year ago. Maybe they're doing better now but it's likely a lot of them don't want to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Interesting article on the reliability of EV batteries.

They have gotten alot more reliable over the last 10 years, going from a 7.5% failure rate to 0.1%.

https://insideevs.com/news/717187/ev-battery-replacements-due-failure-study/

The most common failures were with the 2013 Tesla Model S (8.5%) and the 2011 Nissan Leaf (8.3%).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭sh81722

Just watched this at the lunch break and it's looking good for the Model 3 owners at least with Panasonic batteries. Ignore some glaring miles/km errors from this love/hate presenter.

420k miles is aprox. 670k kilometres, covered with the original 7X kWh battery and the drivetrain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LR has ~78kWh with just over 4kWh buffer, said to degrade a fair bit over the first year then taper off

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭denismc

This really should be posted on social media sites any time someone posts a "I have a friend" story whose battery failed/ blew up/ ran off with his wife etc.

So to clarify, these aren't failures due to age related degradation. This is for cars with batteries that had manufacturing defects and thus lower capacity when delivered, or degradation beyond what the manufacturer guarantees

Have I got that correct?

One thing they seemed to leave out was the age if the car at replacement time. For example the cars from 2011 were much worse, but how many got new batteries in 2011 versus the following years

I guess the majority of cars from that year were Leafs which had a 5 year battery warranty IIRC. So they wouldn't have replaced any batteries after 2016, plus that was when the 30kWh pack rolled out so Nissan wouldn't have had many replacements anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

amazing stuff.

There was an article a few years back on a businessman from Liechstenstein who had lots of customers in Eastern Europe and he ditched his private plane when he got too old to fly it for a Maybach, so one of the most overengineered ICEs possible.

After approaching 1 million km, its still going like new BUT the list of stuff that had to be replaced over the time was long including something like a couple of engine rebuilds, gearboxes and endless brake replacements.

Costwise it makes no difference as the guy can afford it but still it shows how even the very best ICEs are prone to failure over time with their exceptionally complicated engines, and a simple electric motor on the other hand keeps on going.

The one thing I dont get with the Tesla reports is how people arent needing suspension replacements after high mileage. Are the things air suspension or is there some specific reason ? Or is it just that they are all relatively young and suspension failure is more age than usage related so doesnt affect them, yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭sh81722

Yes, any well designed car can last for a very long time once you keep on top of servicing and maintenance. Many a car are sent to early grave for pretty small issues if maintenance is let to slip earlier in their lifetime as fixing it all in one go would be too much money.

In case of the Model 3, the upper control arms have been mentioned as potentially a weak point. The issue seem to affect mainly early builds, the design was changed sometime before 2021. We shall see what happens with ours when it ages, but in case of this particular model of car they are quite firmly sprung and I'm in opinion that stiffer suspension results in less wear and tear in the shocks and joints as there is a smaller range of movement. But I have no hard data on this and I may be totally wrong too.

Incedentally, I just changed the front wishbones in the 2016 leaf last weekend as the bushings were pretty bad at 108k. The front was wandering and when the car was jacked up there were visible cracks starting to appear in the rubber joints, and in general what causes that apart from aging is when the joints are streched to the extremes of their movement. NCT will be in June and I thought I'll be ahead of the game for once. As of other wear, apart from this known issue in Leaf all the rest of the suspension still feels tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The very best ICE doen't mean the longest lasting ICE and I'm not sure what is overengineered about a Maybach. Over complicated more like. My far more mundane Megane 1.5 diesel is approaching 600k kms and shows no sign of needing an engine rebuild or gearbox. The original front brake pads and discs lasted about 325k kms and that wasn't motorway driving either. It depends how you drive them. The car does not have a DPF and i think it has solid flywheel.

I 've had more replacement of the rear discs and pads as they got so little use that they rusted and scored with the pads separating from their backings - just as might happen with an EV that rarely uses its friction brakes.

The other unscheduled work that I needed to do on the car was suspension and steering. Front springs, front shocks, top mounts and inner tie rods have been replaced once as has one of the rear springs. If I got 600k kms out of a heavy EV with that amount of wear and tear suspension and brake work, I'd be delighted. Obviously I've had oil and filter changes and timing belt kits that wouldn't have on a EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Are used EVs a rip-off?!

Carwow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Having brake pads make 325k is criminal tbh. There is no way they are in a good enough state over that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You'd wonder are they actually engaging at all with that mileage before replacement. They're supposed to wear.

They'd deteriorated just from age and water ingress alone. Completely unsafe.

Said with such confidence. First he says it's "criminal" because of the mileage then moves on to "completely unsafe" because of age and water. In actual fact, you have no idea what age the pads were as I didn't state it. You also have no idea of the effect of water ingress and obviously, no idea of the condition or remaining friction material thickness. FYI the pads (and discs) could have gone more than 325 kms, were in fine condition and nowhere near the NCT thickness limit of 1.5 mm. Their replacements are in situ for over 200 k kms and are in excellent condition.

Do you, as a habit, go around accusing others of criminal behaviour when they do something you don't agree with? How does that work out for you?

What we have here seems to be a case of EV fan Butthurt that it isn't just EVs that can have very low friction brake use. I'd suggest improving your driving and learning how to read the road.

EV fan ? My friend I've just bought an ev in Feb. I run a diesel van and 3 petrol motorcycles. I service my own vehicles. Currently today replacing the injector in the van as she's running soft, leak down test showed that injector 2 was returning 46 percent more fuel to the line. So not gone but going.

Anyone running brake pads to 325k needs a kick up the hole. Visual checks will not tell you how the aged material is performing being that old in weathered condition.

I said criminal yes because it's not safe.

So EV fan, sure why not. But all vehicles that move. More accurate.

I'd also suggest bringing your vehicle to a different mechanic if he's advising you that they're OK.

So in other words it's unsafe because you say it is. And you still don't know the age of the pads.

I'm aware that you work on your own vehicles and only recently got an EV. I recall a post from not too long ago where you mentioned cutting a brake disc off with an angle grinder. Given that I also work on my cars and despite infrequent pad and disc changes, have never had to do anything like that, which of us needs to examine our approach to brake maintenance?

Also I have a different 25 year old car family owned from new that has never had the brake fluid changed or topped up and is on original brake lines, calipers and cylinders. Have had many confident individuals tell me over years that not changing brake fluid was going to cause all manner of problems including rusting the brake lines. Bollocks - brake lines rust from the outside in.

And to bring this back to the topic of EVs, if not changing brakes often enough (by your definition) is unsafe, then there goes one of the maintenance advantages of EVs that fans like to boast about. So the car isn't wearing its brakes - but it'd be criminal not to replace them anyway.

... actually why am I arguing with someone who thinks 325k brakes are grand. Even at high miles they'd be 11 years old. Crazy shenanigans.

Post edited by listermint on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well if you were doing 900km every single day you'd get that milage up in a year. Maybe that's what happened? And they had a Flintstones Flap so they could drop their feet through the floor to stop.

• Advertisement

Advertisement