Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So now that the Brits seem to be getting the Rwanda plan working we can expect even more of these illegal economic migrants to make their way over here.

Martin sounded like he was blaming the British when all they are trying to do is cut the number crossing the channel.

It would be more in his line to tell that useless Minister for Justice to start doing her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Madeoface

This country can afford the asylum seekers as they get processed. It's a question of accommodation capacity and not affordability. Which would not arise if the invasion of Ukraine had not led to 106,000 people needing accommodation here.

The government is also legally obligated to provide for people seeking international protection. Most people on here don't appear to grasp that. Or that all of this is temporary.

By all means chuck out the fakers and second country chancers. But I've more issues providing freebies for life for the inter generational non working welfare work shy than I do people fleeing the Taliban.

As for calling people right wing in this discussion piece. Proper right wing thinking would all be for slashing benefits anyway, especially domestically. Perhaps the only right wing bit they like is the xenophobia piece??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

nobody likes being lied to and ignored by the power that be, but going around causing trouble isn't going to solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rowantree18

The course was a masters in public health/epidemiology, taken in a Scandi country with a lot of experience in the refugee issue. Naturally what I've outlined does not refer to migration based on skills and access to employment. The experts were professors in this field, researchers and published academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks I had a quick look at the offences against the state legislation and I think in might need updating.

I'd guess this guy was charged because he made threats against a garda station specifically, whereas burning property for government use etc presumably wouldn't be covered. Likewise intimidating politicians in a less direct manner.

The act also seems focused on prescribed groups, where what we have now seems to be less formal structures organising around social media channels.

• Advertisement

And that was what they thought was it? That there was only one possible outcome from IPAs?

Was this specifically in a public health class? Sounds more like sociology/social policy to me?

Any names yet for these experts?

I've had a quick look on public health research and asylum seekers and I can't find anything at all like you suggested.

Any luck with those names yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't need to be bullshitted by the far right, just watched the first two stories on the evening news with ROG saying 400 a week coming in from the UK, next up homeless numbers up.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rowantree18

If you have access to pubmed and check out Public Health Ethics, The European of Public Health (just 2 examples) there are a myriad of published articles using both qualitative and quantitative methods. The regugee/asylum issue has been a major issue for several decades already and there's a lot of research out there.

BTW- being interested in this arena, discussing and debating it from various angles does NOT make one a racist. It makes one a realist. Two very different things. If for example, a refugee brings ebola into a country - that's a public health emergency. Europeans brought measles to Hawaii and nearly decimated the entire population. Migration causes issues. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, the legislation is based on proscribed organisations, not individuals as such. But Lisa Smith was convicted, even though it wasn't proscribed organisation. Definitely needs an update though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Even with hundreds of IPAs living on the streets some people can’t see the necessity of having people who don’t qualify deported very quickly. It’s crazy. I don’t think there’s any point in arguing with such people who won’t face reality.

I have never seen anybody argue that people shouldn't be deported quickly. I have seen some people explain why it's not simple, but I don't believe anyone thinks deportations should not be done quickly

Being interested in this issue doesn't make you a racist, falsely suggesting that 'asylum seekers can't integrate' is a consensus opinion amongst public health academics certainly makes you look that way. Your little rant about feeling like a minority in Blanchardstown only adds to that.

I had a look in those journals, didn't find anything like you suggested. Plenty about public health needs for asylum seekers, specific challenges, prevalence of illnesses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,682 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is a rapist but the judge worried about him a foreign national in prison and away from his family, would you really hear the likes of that anywhere else, ffs he should be locked up for a lot longer and I'd say that for any rapist no matter the nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Who will it be, elaborate.What are you basing your prediction on?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Amazing the way these pop up migration centres never end up in a field in Foxrock, Goatstown or Malahide etc…

Stick one up beside one of the private girl schools in one of those areas and let's see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

An extra 31 Asylum Seekers homeless since Tuesday. We now have what seems like a permanent and growing tent city in the middle of Dublin

The state has lost control. We need serious decisions made fast because this is extremely worrying . The scale of this can't be fixed. It will only get worse with each passing day.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/04/26/palestinians-sleeping-rough-in-dublin-face-intimidation-as-1758-asylum-sleepers-now-homeless/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

This supposition is fatally flawed.

We are currently de facto opted out. To maintain the strength of the CTA with the UK we should absolutely stayed opted out and infact we should join with them and enforce the Rwanda policy here also.

The Rwanda policy, which is currently costing £2 million + per deportation?

Longer term estimates expect the cost per deportation to fall to £200k + UK expenses + a yearly fee for as long as the person stays in Rwanda. (I find that quite optimistic)

That's what you want us to sign up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Northernlily

So this is getting a lot of international coverage from the big publications now.

Are the Govt just using it to deflect from their shoddy immigration which wouldn't surprise me or is there real truth in it.

Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭noc1980

You can easily tell the people who are unaffected by the housing crisis, business closures, the strain on our services etc… They're the ones who call those who ARE affected "far right" - Their lives are going grand so bring in unlimited numbers of immigrants they say. Not only is it not a problem to them it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

We don't want asylum seekers in tents on streets, but everywhere we try to house them, people protest and burn private property. What do you suggest?

I really hope someone competent and firm goes with her.

I actually think Ireland will eventually become the case study on how not to do immigration and will probably eventually cause the EU states to rethink their strategy.

Small country, big and quick impact.

Looks like MM just talking shite to me.

Nothing out of the ordinary there.

It's very much unknown that the Rwanda bill is having any impact on migrants coming to the UK, not to mind moving on to Ireland yet.

Rates of movement fluctuate all the time, it'll take time to measure the impact, if any.

https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DfG22LODqQNs

No all you have to do is mandate illegal entry makes you permanently ineligible for any sort of leave to remain.

You get two options, forced return to your origin country or relocation to a holding facing in Rwanda or Eritrea or Haiti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Why so? Other countries strip people of their citizenship for serious offences?

It's not going to happen but it would be fitting. Give these people some perspective on what asylum seekers experience.

It's not a conundrum, tight immigration controls ensure we are the beneficiaries of trust and desire from similar sensible countries

The people coming are coming from places we neither want people from or ever want to go to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,682 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So you want anti immigration protesters shipped out of their own country and welcome in undocumented unvetted individuals from any where?

It is not just vigilantes at these protests, ordinary scared vulnerable residents also

The government are not coming out addressing these protests as why they are happening as clearly they do not want to listen, yes condemn and punish the vigilantes but address the cause

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement