Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Which ones? The ones which have almost 3,000 in tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭lmao10

The far right scum in the country are the ones in for a shock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hard to disagree. The silent majority trope has been around for a while. We're told that the public are overwhelmingly obsessed with immigration only for them to reject the Kellys and Littlers in favour of FF and FG.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The only worrying thing is what these scumbags will do once they realise they have no hope politically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think we already know. More victim rallies, public disorder, disinformation, and racist conspiracy theories on social media.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Well we were also told that most people were going to vote yes/ yes in March and that didn't happen. The landslide no/ no votes shows that there is truth to the silent majority 'trope' and the public are not as taken in by FF/FG as they once were

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You know the vast majority of the country are not far right racist conspiracy theorists right?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Just as well normal people who are concerned about unlimited migration aren't far right so.

Give peace a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭redunited

I would suggest that calling people "far Right Scumbags" will only push people into the hands of the far right.

Do you not honestly believe people have concerns about immigration? Is anyone happy at the scenes on the streets of Dublin of Tent Cities as we head into the tourism season?

The lack of housing, and facilities to house hundreds of migrants in small rural villages?

Polls are showing there is a huge number of people who now take issue with immigration, surely not all of them are so-called " Far Right Scumbags"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think there is huge engagement around immigration as an issue. But there aren't very clear alternatives and only a number of independents will benefit this time.

It could be a massive issue in the presidential election though, although I hope it won't be. It will certainly be a huge issue in the next general election, which is less than a year away. I would expect FF and FG to move to the right quite a lot in the coming months.

• Advertisement

Where do you get off calling people far-right scum?

Seriously, that is the language of the hard left, is that what you are? Do you think that sort of language is constructive?

I could see them getting more violent and unfortunately an attack on a politician is inevitable the way things are going. There are just a small amount of scumbags directing traffic when it comes to the far right in Ireland and they are all on the police radar I'd imagine so hopefully the gardai are on top of things but they will need to be proactive and go after these lads and I reckon it will take a politician being attacked for them to do it.

There could be a substantial move to the right in the EU elections, not necessarily from Ireland but the other EU countries.

As previously stated, if this does happen the current mainstream parties have no one to blame but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

We are in new territory now.

A completely different ball game.

Politicians can be attacked on either end of the political spectrum. In the UK, both Conservative and Labour politicians were murdered. The former never really gets mentioned though

The vast vast majority of people do not want to and have no intention of attacking a politician. They just don't want tents in our city centre and are worried about hundreds of men being put into towns that are already stretched to breaking point. Those people are being called 'far right'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The idea that Ireland will swing towards right wing or far right politics in large numbers does seem to stretch credibility. It's not part of our political DNA and we've never had any Enoch Powell or Nigel Farage types in mainstream politics. Also, the public here would probably associate right wing politics with FF under Dev and Catholic conservatism and this would be another dissuading factor.

If we look at our near neighbours, they are traditionally far more of a right wing country, rooted in an imperial past, their love for the British army, the Tories being the most powerful party for 200 years, their right wing press and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Our Neighbours are joining in the debate, I notice, with relish it appears. From the Belfast Telegraph, 'In a social media post on Friday, TUV leader Jim Allister said the current difficulties can be traced back to the Irish government’s post-Brexit insistence that there must be no physical border apparatus on the island of Irelad'….."You reap what you sow!”, Mr Allister said. "It’s hard to find sympathy for those so driven by their all-Ireland agenda and poking the British over Brexit that they insisted on the very thing now swamping them with immigrants!" he added.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, commentator Ruth Dudley Edwards said: "For a country that mocked Britain’s desire for sovereignty, and sought to use obstinate insistence on an open border as a means for punishment, it is a brutal comeuppance. Ireland’s elites are being hoisted by their own petard."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The minister for justice is helping it out with outlandish statements like “an attack on our democracy” in response to recent events we cannot discuss here.

Of all the issues, crimes, troubles we have as a nation that’s what gets her back up and is an attack on democracy?

This is not in direct response to you, but I personally think withholding data requested by TDs and withholding the advice of they attorney general(when it suits) are far worse attacks our democracy than an event we cannot discuss here.

The far right lads are a genuine threat and should be seen as such and I would imagine that is the case in the gardai. A softly softly approach was done for too long and we finally saw good policing last night. Moving forward we need to see these scumbags who operate from the safety of their keyboards getting done. It's either that or we inevitably see more murders like we saw of the poor Croatian lad. Immigrants, gardai and politicans will be the targets. These scumbags online would love to see anyone from those groups murdered. These far right scum think that there is a global conspiracy against them.

Should we also expect the same treatment for the far left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do we have domestic terrorism legislation here?

This is the US legal definition and I think it's time we looked at something similar here.

the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that— (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States;

If there are any far right people breaking the law I'm sure they will be dealt with. But what of those who aren't and are not a threat but just don't want thousands of men sleeping in tents in the city centre and pushed into small rural towns where housing, services, GP, schools, are already stretched and are still being called far right. What do you suggest they do?

Offences against the state act?

You would want to be very careful going down this road though.

What are the far right though?

Look at what the so-called far right are standing for,

Ireland for the Irish,

Irish homes for the Irish.

Irish services for the Irish.

The last time a group of Irish people stood up for those statements was our founding fathers when they overthrew the British government in Ireland.

We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭creeper1

There is some talk that the Rwanda plan is exacerbating the problem.

I'm not sure I buy that but .....

If it genuinely works as a deterrent then things will get worse before they get better.

However if they cut off at source (which is probably pretty unlikely I grant you) then long term Ireland will benefit from Rwanda plan.

In such a scenario it's just arrivals at Dublin airport that'd need dealing with.

The far right have murdered 2 MPs here. It's a real concern.

H. H. Asquith

But you've no suggestions as to how they or we should sort it out?

What exactly are the EU doing wrong on immigration, and what would you suggest they do differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's actually a lot of truth in what you are saying. But keep in mind that the Irish revolutionary movement did indeed lead to a right wing and Catholic conservative Ireland for the first 50 years of the state. Even someone as charismatic as Collins would probably be classed as a right wing Catholic conservative these days.

That form of 'right wing' Irish society of the past would be different to the modern right wing populist stuff though - it was more rooted in religious nationalism than anything else. It wasn't really anti-immigration….it was anti everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement