Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes, the labels cost a fraction of a cent each. But the new label had to be designed by someone. The label printer had to be reconfigured with the new image. Someone had to print out thousands of the labels, and someone else had to remove the old labels and apply the new labels. All these steps have a cost, and so that cost has to be passed on to someone.

CFO thinking: No-one would notice a 1 cent increase on the item, and inflation might go up even further, so lets just add a cent to cover the current change expense and future possible eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nobody is forcing me to bring my trash anywhere. But I am forced to bring home the full containers when I buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Most people don't do their shopping first thing in the morning before they have to get on with their busy days.

I have no idea why you are trying to cause an argument over someone's real life experience of this scheme.

It's absolutely nothing to do with your situation but you feel compelled to insert yourself into it, not everyone is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I've been on many clean ups with different groups.

When possible I always tried to separate the recyclable stuff. Not always practical but it saved them from landfill.

The discarded damaged beyond use in an RVM containers will only be picked up by the people who always picked them up as part of a clean up initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They "say" it will happen. So it's just an aspiration. We've been told a lot of stuff about recycling & this scheme that has turned out to be dubious \ misinformation or just plain lies. The Green Party got excited about diesel, remember how that turned out. They get "excited" about a lot of things that don't pan out the way they thought it would. How "excited" a politician gets about a scheme and whether the scheme will actually deliver on that are often strangers. Thinking about it "logically" there's no direct connection between the two.

This is true, they say they will recycle what we return to the RVMs but we don't actually know what will happen unless an investigative journalist does some digging on the matter or we get a whistleblower on the case. I still think it's more likely they recycle than burn them though. They were not wrong in their excitement about diesel at the time, it splurts out less CO2 than petrol, they never considered the other issues such as NOx but the CO2 claims were correct

Didn't the Green Party get excited, encouraging us to put cans and bottles in the green bin so that could be recycled? Well, how did that work out?

We had a return rate of ~60% whichwas too low. If everybody did put their stuff in the recycling bin (remember it's not green for everybody) then we wouldn't need this scheme. I find it ironic that glass is returned to such a high level despite having no deposit. I wonder if there was no deposit, just RVMs, would this scheme be as successful

Remember the head of Re-turn telling people to contact him (!) if they had trouble with returns, or home deliveries.

No, I don't actually recall that happening . I believe it happened though. Re-turn is an auful company tasked with one job they couldn't get right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe Return will print off a few sticker badges to reward them..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Someone needs to bring a case against the state for interfering with free trade between EU states.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Severe Doth Protest Too Much from this guy, he posts lengthy ranty Twitter threads which ignore the fact that the bulk of those product labels are already illegal here and need to be overlabelled as it is - but they get away with flouting that law and are annoyed they can't get away with flouting this one.

Alcohol products need to have an EU contact address and the measurements in metric; most US products imported here get sold with no EU contact address and often imperial only measurements.

Also from next year, they'll need cancer warnings on them so at best you'd buy a few months of not needing to put an even more severe sticker on them. That'll apply to glass bottles too (and expect some French wineries to refuse to allow their product to be sullied with such a thing and hence not sell to Ireland at all)

There is zero basis for an EU trade case; requiring different labels is a national competence and most countries in Europe already do require specific things on alcohol labels. You'll see cans/bottles with five different health warnings, five different deposit scheme logos and so on already.

Often they're grouped together - I'm seeing a lot of imported cans that have the Irish, Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish logos on them but no others; very rarely you'll see the Danish one. This applies to other specifics too - spirit bottles for the UK market need their duty stamp on the label so can only be sold in the UK; whiskey bottles for Germany need to mark if they have caramel colouring and most distilleries don't want to admit that so have German specific labels and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

This was 2021 but it can't have changed much.

Ireland ‘overly reliant’ on exporting waste for recycling - EPA

Seventy per cent of plastic packaging generated in Ireland was incinerated in 2021 with only about 28% recycled

And some of that 72% is waste that people believe to be "recycled". Better to incinerate it than landfill or worse burn it in your back-yard though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/environment/2023/11/28/ireland-overly-reliant-on-exporting-waste-for-recycling-epa/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.facebook.com/HewittCameron/posts/pfbid04JMX5t7JYH88QcLwFaLxik82naJ1FXxFMvwcYxt3GC8v3LYCqCUNbAckGckgqi1Nl

so many good ideas out there, have a look through some of the comments as well.

we are so bland and anti-intuitive in this country its depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Have been to several European countries where it is common to see homeless people collecting cans/bottles in order to return them to fund the purchase of relatively cheap alcohol.

Thanks to MUP being introduced in Ireland (to protect us from ourselves), alcohol is too expensive here for this to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

That is a good idea. And in fairness, something like it could work here. A bit like the plastic bag tax, this could go some way to help solve the litter problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Had my first interaction with the scheme today (if you ignore the time I was charged the deposit for a can that wasn't in the scheme). Before it came in I had stocked up on cans, avoiding the tariff.

Today I had some empty qualifying cans, so decided to try it out before doing my shopping. Both machines were out of order in my local Lidl. No way I was going to carry them around while doing my shopping, then take them home again, rinse and repeat. The cans went into the general bin in Lidl (the only bin they had).

I'm going to treat this scheme as the tax it is. I'll factor it onto the price of whatever I buy, I'm not bothered with the hassle.

The only way I see this scheme being rolled back is if it actually decreases the rate of recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

exactly what the government was hoping for.

making money of something we are already doing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

A small can of Pepsi was one nice roundy euro before this scam came in. Now, it's 1.55 plus deposit, so 1.70.

But don't worry, according to return, this doesnt cost the public anything. That seventy per cent price increase is just our imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Video says - @3.00
    "only 7 million out of 193 million deposits, paid out, in the first couple months of the scheme."
    "Government raking in millions from unclaimed return deposits"

But is that really the case - where does the money go? Do re-pack and the shops not keep it?

Thats a lot of left over cash for only a few months.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I happen to frequent an educational building. Lots of late teens and early 20 year olds, with small open bins dotted around classrooms. The bins are emptied and put with the rest of the rubish. These bins are filled with cans and bottles on a daily basis that were bought from the on site restaurant that is excempt from the return portion of the scheme.

Now, this type of thing would always have been an issue, even before this scheme. What exactly does this scheme do to change the behaviours of the people that dont take their used items to a return machine? What happens the stats if ALL of our similiar educational institutions in the country have a similiar setup and worse still what happens if people of this age dont engage at all with this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I think a lot of it is coming down to what spec the machines are.

My local SuperValu has two large machines in a multi-storey carpark - it seems to work very well as there's loads of space and capacity and it's all neat and tidy.

Cans and bottles all fed in and it spat out a receipt without any issues.

I think the fact you can't just scan your Supervalu Rewards club app or something is a bit Stone Age but it seems we just copied it from cash-is-king, long-live the fax machine Germany, despite the fact that most Irish customers seem to have an expectation of contactless phone-based payment everywhere now.

Spitting out bits of paper in 2024 is just a bit archaic.

You'd think they'd just have a Re-Turn app, and you could just tap your phone.

The issues I encountered were with the smaller, low spec machines. They were absolutely useless and fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So it's the shops/producers scamming you for more profit, with the price increase, not the return scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

They used to be cheap in Argos - but I can only find currys now… 30 euros…

https://www.currys.ie/products/sodastream-spare-gas-cylinder-21656710.html

There are devices you can fill yourself - but you would need to be sure you are using food grade gas source - nothing that has oil or anything in it.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭jj880

Rolled back into the Re-Turn coffers for "future recycling initiatives".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tiny machine in my local shop seems bullet proof.

RVM Systems is the maker, seem to be Swedish. Looking at the specs and that vendor of machine does actually support loyalty card refunding - I don't know if the rules would allow that as an option here; it couldn't be the only option obviously.

Lidl's large machines appear to be made out of cardboard and bailing twine based on how 'reliable' they are; dunno who makes them. Could be the same vendor for all I know

Me nearest stockist of a sodastream refill states:

Quick connect cylinder(€33): Only works with the Terra, Duo and Art Sodastream machines
    Never run out of sparkle: Keep a spare Sodastream gas cylinder so you won't have to run out of bubbles
    Long lasting C02: Each gas cylinder makes up to 60 litres of your favourite fizzy drink
    Gas exchange: Refundable deposit is not included, when your cylinder is empty, you can use it to exchange it for full gas refills in participating retailers & get €10 off
    Be the change: Reduce your plastic bottle waste by making your own fizzy water at home with the help of our easy to install gas cylinders

So the initial one is €33 euros, assuming you are exchanging an empty one for a full one all subsequent ones will be €23 and it makes 60 litres. With a 10 euro Pepsi syrup container, I can make 8 litres of pepsi.

So, ignoring the cost of the machine,

33 gas

20 syrup(2 containers of syrup)

53 euros for 16 litres of Pepsi is €3.3 per litre or €1.10 for 330ml of pepsi. Still about double what I currently pay for my slab of pepsi from Tesco. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

Its both. Retailers and manufacturers can shove it for their price increase, and return can shove it further for their scam which enabled it.

I didnt buy the drink, but had to laugh when i saw the rvm in the shop was, as always, out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Why would kids bother? Since working from home I rarely buy junk food but I was out yesterday and felt peckish so I picked up a packet of King. It was €1.60! A kid could pick up 10 cans, if they can find 10 that will scan, and still not have enough for a bag of crisps.

That's pretty poor value.

I know if you're a fan of sparkling water, you can get under-sink filter/chiller units from Grohe for example, but they're seriously expensive, coming in at over €1000 and going off into totally mad money at the upper end. They're kinda one of those 'roll it in with the price' kitchen items for people with more money than sense.

In theory some of these systems could be a good solution to the endless amounts of fizzy drinks bottles but not at that price.

Soda Stream always struck me as more of a gimmick than anything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement