Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

More lies. From that paper…

These results suggest that part of the excessively high
    unemployment observed among Africans can be accounted for by their risk of having
    been exposed to the asylum application system in Ireland, and the scarring effect of
    having been excluded from access to the labour market for an extended period.
    However, even accounting for the impact of the Asylum system, and controlling for a
    range of individual characteristics that can influence labour market outcomes, there
    nevertheless remains a substantial ‘unexplained’ African disadvantage, one that is
    particularly severe among women. This unexplained residual points to other aspects of
    the African experience in the labour market, such as racism and discrimination, that
    have been identified in previous research (Kingston et al, 2015; Michael, 2015), but
    whose impact cannot be investigated using Census data.

The paper identifies asylum restrictions as a likely cause of higher unemployment amongst Africans and other asylum. It then offers evidence, via other published research papers, on the effects of racism and discrimination.

Nor is there mention of Polish or Korean migrants setting up businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sure they will have migrants voting too, anything to get a vote, get back in etc.,

You should be a citzen for at least 5 years before being allowed vote or run in elections imho

@suvigirl I really do not know what else to say to you if you think we are not full or services not affected by the large influx of IPAs

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

I see how you have not disagreed only deflected, this simply shows you agree 100% with the housing example amd the lifeboat comparison. Thank you for conceding if only by accident.

My plan is just the same as everyone else's. More housing, hospitals, schools and infrastructure.

More training for the trades and skills needed to deliver these. More visas and work permits for the people with the skills we lack. No visas or work permits for any non-traded or skilled role.

Automatically place every country on the safe list and only add current countries at war eg Ukraine.

Partner with the UK and move all asylum seekers not on the unsafe country list to offshore processing.

P.S. I was going to say to somewhere underpopulated like Roscommon but that might qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no idea what you're trying to say. I'm not blaming immigration for our housing crisis, I would have thought that is very clear. Housing is not an inelastic supply. It has been artificially made so. And restricting demand is not the only choice. You seem to believe it is though, so my question stands, who do you wish to restrict?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I think you are beginning to confuse yourself now - it is exactly what you suggested. You even say it again on the last line of your post………..

Referencing some of your previous posts:

1: If it was easier for some people to come here on visas, then we would see a reduction in some claims

2: Perhaps visa requirements need to be looked at? Change them to make it easier for people to come here.

etc etc.

Yet again you completely miss the point of all this.

1. What you are suggesting is not the point of the visa system.
    2. Making it easier for people to come here for the purpose of reducing the numbers claiming asylum defeats the purpose of both systems.
    3. What does doing this actually achieve with the exception of reducing the numbers claiming asylum? It literally addresses none of the problems.
    4. You do realise there is a reason these people have not applied for a visa in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see they are trying to silence Niall Boylan.

About to be suspended from classic hits and Boyd Barett saying he peddles the far right message over the air waves.

Doesn’t feel like we’re living in a free and open democracy anymore.

Why is it just IPAs though, Why not all immigrants? surely everyone in the country used and puts pressure on services

Isn't reducing the numbers seeking asylum generally seen as a positive, given the strain on housing, services etc?

Especially where people fleeing persecution can still apply, to either system.

What's your suggestion why 'these' people have not applied for a visa?

I knew it was only a matter of time before he was cancelled by the wokeratti!

Nothing to do with longstanding airtime election rules.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sunjava

It's good to see people admitting that a factor in their displeasure at the current situation is where these people are coming from and who they are. Typically, people won't want to see people arriving from places they wouldn't choose to visit themselves. If we are see increasing numbers coming from such places we're entitled to have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So citizenship shouldn't come with the basic rights of citizenship? Ineresting idea of a republic.

There are many people from safe countries claiming asylum, I'm sure that there are those that are successful. However, safe countries are in general,

'those that on the basis of the legal situation, the application of the law within a democratic system and the general political circumstances, it can be shown that there is generally and consistently no persecution [...], no torture or inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment and no threat by reason of indiscriminate violence in situations of international or internal armed conflict“.'

There are those that do not meet the criteria, those persons clearly wish to leave their own country, for whatever reasons. Claiming asylum can be seen as a last resort/last ditch attempt to leave their country and start a better life.

We have currently a shortage in many different industries, including trades, health care,social care etc etc Creating visas with less restrictions (such as having a certain income very month) in order for people to come and start a working life, is most definitely not an abuse of the visa system. Allow visas for people to train, in jobs.

Why though, why start with them? Are their numbers as high as visa holders? EU citizens living here?

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If we extend just giving out visas to anyone what’s the point in having a visa system to have some control over limiting entry to those who have skills we need?

Would a lad from Somalia with no English or limited education be given the same visa as a nurse from the Philippines who could walk into a job here and would face trouble getting accommodation because she’s competing with said Somalian and all the new receipients of visas.

But of course the reply is we need to suddenly magic up 10’s of thousands of new houses to accommodate all new arrivals and maybe our native population if they are lucky. Given our size , we’ll never catch up on housing, is it not obvious we can only house so much of the worlds population?
    Nigerians are coming here in increasing numbers, we have obviously become very a attractive destination for a country of 200 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭lmao10

The woke right are having a meltdown and it's going to be even funnier after the elections!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭lmao10

How do you explain why 200 million of them haven't already come into the country? Isn't it just as easy as just hopping on a flight?

Who suggested anything of the sort? New visas with new requirements, because we have a shortage of workers in certain areas, and a lot of people would like to.come here to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Theres a part of Tallaght known as little Lagos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's shocking that the partner of a member of the Irish freedom party has a sob story that completely falls in line with her child's father's political leanings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

That being the entire point, there is no correlation with successful immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Modulok

I literally wrote that the root cause is the collapse of the native population, i.e. collapsed birthrates of the native ethnicities. I would blame that before I would blame immigration. Immigration has or is in the process of destroying the social cohesion and national character of the European nations that embraced it, so it is of course an enormous problem. In the mid 90s to early 2000s immigration was still of a scope and scale that was just about manageable. But it i a runaway train now, and shows signs of accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How long do you think would take to build enough houses for those stuck in direct provision awaiting own door accommodation as well as those in tents not to mention all those Ukrainians living in hotels looking for houses.

Need to factor in the predicted 15000 asylum seekers due to arrive every year.

Last and obviously least houses for the local population

It'll Take a lot longer if we don't start now. And I'm not just talking about asylum seekers or Ukrainians

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Helen McEntee saying over 80% of IP are now coming down from the North. This is just extraordinary. They are coming from the UNITED KINGDOM, and we are then putting them up in hotels at great taxpayer expense as well as social cost.

Now the UK are implementing the Rwanda plan. We could see a skyrocketing of numbers coming here. UK received 84k applications last year for asylum. If just 20k diverted to Ireland instead, we would see a doubling of numbers here and complete social disintegration would result.

It could get so bad that the resulting far right parties that get into power may end up putting up a hard border. How ironic after all this that it wasn't Brexit at all that put up a hard border - instead it was our woke and Green politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

HHehe, SF are simply gagging to go into coalition with FF or FG or both! If you don't believe me then just ask them when they come canvassing. And don't be fobbed off with their stock answer " we have no intention ". There's already tension coming from the real SF headquarters in Belfast who are getting tired of free state SF failing to make it into power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement