Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crusade against the motorist continues...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What DART stations got their parking reduced? And can you provide your source for Ryan's view on the issue please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Portmarnock.

And his response is on the dail record as it was parliamentary questions.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2023-10-05/10/

I won't hold my breath on the multi storey

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

SeanW - "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the Green bird is going to **** avacado on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seriously, is this what you're referring to?

It is my understanding that it is likely to be multi-storey. The Deputy is correct that as part of these improvements to the DART station, there is a temporary reduction in car park spaces, from approximately 270 to 170 spaces. There is a short-term reduction but, subject to planning permission, the current spaces are due to be replace with a more significant parking service.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link, very insightful, and quite contradictory to your original claim.

Deputy is correct that as part of these improvements to the DART station, there is a temporary reduction in car park spaces, from approximately 270 to 170 spaces. There is a short-term reduction but, subject to planning permission, the current spaces are due to be replace with a more significant parking service.

Is it? Where's the planning application? You must have that to hand right?

You're choosing to blame him for a plan (which is outside of his powers) to develop a multistorey car park?

As for your comment:

Eamon Ryan thinks they are inappropriate for dart stations.

Where in your link does he say such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

True, but I think that normal people should not hand spaces like these over to the eco-jihadis without at least asking some serious questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If I was opening a business, in particular a retail one, I would not be looking at Dublin city centre to do it.

I'd be looking at the big retail parks where my customers have the option to drive if they wish.

Thankfully, I have no reason to go into Dublin City Centre these days (now I work outside it) and personally I would never go on a shopping trip without my car. So retail in the city centre is out for me. Big retails parks where my car as well as my business is welcome, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i ever commit genocide, a fitting punishment would be to abolish me to blanchardstown shopping centre or kildare village for eternity.

Blaming him? No. But I do consider it dishonest to refer to it as temporary. Unless temporary is allowed to mean years.

If you read further down you will also read where he refers to park and ride not really being for those within 2 or 3 km radius. Which encompasses our neighbourhood barely 1.5km away with no pedestrian or cycle access.

Not sure who else is expected to use a p+r facility in Portmarnock other than those within reasonably close proximity. Portmarnock is not a particularly accessible location.

Sure look whatever. It's grand. An already oversubscribed park and ride has lost almost half its spaces. Suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Interesting perspective… Ikea have said the opposite, they are trying to find locations in city centre and suburan locations. Their big box out of town stores are struggling to maintain consistency because younger clients don't necessarily drive and if they do, they don't want to drive to out of town retail parks. They are also more likley to cycle or get public transport to the store and arrange delivery rather than fill a car and take the stuff away. These are the people that we need to accomodate moving forward, not the older generation who are more car dependant.

Ikea are trying to open more small suburban units and recently bid to take part of the new Clery's building in Dublin city center.

You can be fairly confident that if they are saying something like that, it is probably a good indication.

And let's just forget about all those who can't drive or won't drive.

IKEA delivery charges are not cheap! As it happens, I'm going to IKEA tomorrow, and it would be hard to bring a bookcase and a chest of drawers home on back of a bike, even if i had one, so it will be Carrickmines for me. :)

Seems madness to me, for IKEA to open a city centre store, for customers to then pay up to €50 for delivery and have to wait a week for their goods. Doesn't scream convenient to me at all, but each to their own. I would have thought that's what online ordering is for!

€50 is cheap if you don't have to pay for the expense of a car… I spend at least €50 on petrol every week.Add to that insurance, motor tax, upkeep etc. that Ikea delivery is looking very cheap.

Aren't you always saying that anything that can be done with a car can be done on a bike or on public transport? So apply that to those who can't or won't drive. They can use public transport or order for delivery or online.

My point was, if I was considering opening a retail busness, in the here and now, I wouldn't consider the city centre, where there is / will be limited access to / no parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just as well you don't operate a retail store then? The City centre is a great place to shop, loads of stores close to each other, i.e in Henry street, Grafton street, Jervis, Ilac. Stephens Green centre, parking in the shopping centres.. Lots of public transport options around you, and after shopping there's endless choices to go for a Beer..

Footfall in city centre areas make it ideal for retail to operate…

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Spidermann1

Motorists really are just a cash cow in this country. Making roads more miserable for car drivers while offering no other alternative means of public transport! We can't all cycle or get the bus to work!

Rather than supporting the big corporate Global multinationals such as Ikea, there's the option to get free delivery on orders over €100 from local Irish companies such as Bargaintown, and chances are the products will be delivered fully assembled so will save you time from unpacking and assembling your Ikea flatpack furniture..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ok. But so what? Lots of other people do open retail businesses and food and drink businesses in the city centre. People don't go into the city centre to buy bookshelves and that is not because of traffic restrictions.

I guess it is.

i worked in multiple locations across Dublin City Centre (north and south) for the best part of three decades, two of them spent commuting by public transport and am famiiar with all the places you mention.

Even when I worked there every day, I didn't shop in the city centre. I'd save my shopping trips for weekends, when i didn't have to carry stuff home on a bus after work.

Luckily, there is genuinely nothing I can think of that I'd have go into DCC for, including beer, if i wanted it. Which is also just as well, considering these days I'm a blue badge holder and increasingly car dependant. I wouldn't like to be thought of as holding anyone up.

Sure there's something for everyone isn't there.. Out of town retail parks, ultimately soul-less but perfect for motoring convenience, and there's city centre retail with plenty of choice and a great place to dine and drink too, with multiple transportation options..

I looked in Bargaintown, but on this occasion they didn't have what I wanted.

They do have parking at the Belgard Road shop, which is handy and local to me. :)

Though they charge for assembly as well as delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

e50 only? Let's say I do own a car, I have to take the item out to my car-it would have to have lots of space-I ten have to drive home and take it out of the car, most items require 2 people, in this process I also risk damaging the item/s I paid for and risk injuring myself lifting them. e50 is very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭zerosquared

The irony of Green Party using ChatGPT (which requires electricity and datacenters) to generate generic party propaganda text and post on a server also in a datacenter requiring electricity over a network requiring more electricity

Is intense

The Green party have many faults (as do all parties) but seriously is this the worst you are able to think of?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That bot is very unlikely to be connected to the Green Party, or Ireland for that matter.

• Advertisement

& the crusade againstcar drivers continues… the massive increase in road deaths is due to: speed, lookking at mobile phones, drunkeness, cocaine use…

Nowhere does it mention that a child died because they weren't wearing hi-viz, even though that is the main method used by the RSA and the car lobby to combat road deaths.

https://www.thejournal.ie/what-is-causing-the-increase-in-road-deaths-in-ireland-6338626-Mar2024/

Advertisement