Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The crusade against the motorist continues...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,195 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the traffic isn't going fast enough to injure you, its going to be slow enough for someone to follow you and hence no better than there being none.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You imagined that you could pass a Mini giving millimeters of passing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Personally, the section in ble I would have restricted car access

How popular am I? I would even go out as far as the castleknock gates to the park

The park should be shut down to traffic altogether, that was plan years ago and never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

You know if you stopped posting on line you could save Megawatts of power and help save the planet .

You must be running a server farm to keep up the tsunami of posts on nearly every thread on this site.

You wouldn't be trying to change the subject away from your comparison of a bike with passing space to a car with no passing space, by any chance?

• Advertisement

Not sure where you get off accusing me of drugs/drinking. Been driving all day. Horrible accusation.

if you think my posts are non sensical and the poster above me resonates, then we should not ever try to engage. It wont end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And technically correct is the best kind of correct.

The frequency of getting stuck (which is much more often behind cars) wasn't the point.

It really means getting more cycle and bus lanes in place and that bus lanes should probably be given priority over cycle lanes where the dimensions don't allow both.

Frequency of occurrence and impact of occurrence would be key factors in any decision to prioritise. Both would be fairly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,195 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ever heard of stopping? Taking a break? Getting a coffee, bio break? Surely its fairly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Pedestrians are more likely to vote with their feet and avoid pedestrianised area at night which potentiallly have more anti -social behaviour. Thats why Henry street is a dead zone in comparison with Grafton. Street after the shops have closed.

I think maybe ideology is preventing you seeing this.

I certainly agree that ideally less cars and more pedestrian areas everywhere are better. The realities of crime and policign and lack of public transport should be taken into account also

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Of course people will avoid antisocial areas. However the earlier claim was that by removing private cars from Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay you would suddenly make them antisocial was complete rubbish.

Anyhow trying to intertwine a measure to speed up public transit with antisocial behaviour is based on zero facts and thrown out there simply to protect the traffic status quo. If people are concerned about public safety in Dublins city centre then that's an issue for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

Aston Quay is already full of antisocial behaviour. The idea that people passing through in their cars would prevent this is nonsensical and as you say shouldn't be intertwined with this measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Its just some people's opinion that regular passing traffic provides a level of passive supervision. "Passive supervision" doesn't mean every person in the area is like some NYC "guardian angel" always ready to run in a makes a citizen's arrest. It clearly just means that some crimes are more common in places where people aren't being observed. Its disingenuous to say "can passing cars can prevent crime?". No more than my elderly mother walking down Henry Street at night could prevent anti-social behaviour.

Does passing motor traffic offer better passive supervision than passing pedestrian traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

Its the inconvenience thats the issue, as I said I drive through town to go to the northside of the city and J turn left at Pearse St, go to the airport this way too( sometimes), sometimes I get the aircoach but if im visiting family Im not taking a Dart or bus as i could end up anywhere on the Northside on the day.

So I like hundreds of other drivers will turn right at Pearse St and cause congestion somewhere else in the area, we wont stop driving our cars, why would we, we pay insurance and motortax snd we love driving and we dont want to spend two hours getting from A to B, getting drenched in the rain and then picking up bugs on overcrowded public transport.

So what is the point in removing the left turn, its not as if there is any attraction on Pearse St, is it so we can open more cafes, What are the plans for all this public space.

As I said get the basics right first, sort out the anti social issues by employing more Gardai, use the army if too many gardai are gone to Australia.

Install public toilets and maintain them, install more bins and empty them, ask people what they want and a few mins less on the bus journey wont be a priority.

Someone suggested closing Arnotts carpark, very bad idea, Arnotts brings quality customers to the city, those with money, close the carpark and Arnotts mightnt survive, many people also cross the city to go to Arnotts, no Arnotts they will stay on grafton st, these people arent interested in hanging around Capel Street and they are the ones spending money.

Just drove to Westwood Leopardstown, an entitled plonker on a bike cycled from the N11 on whats s very narrow road to westwood, perfectly good cycle lane beside him but has to inconvenience a long line of traffic, the selfishness of these cyclistsI gave him a wide berth as i dont want him messing up my insurance but the driver behind went too close, probably to teach him a lesson.
    Serves him right, use the friggin cycle lanes, dolt!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People avoid Henry St at night because there is absolutely no reason to be on Henry St at night. The bottom of Henry St around Mary St is a lot busier as there are pubs and a McDonalds open. Henry St is not a particularly useful thoroughfare unlike Grafton St. None of this has anything to do with pedestrianisation or anti-social behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Lol at "change the subject" … isn't that what you do whenever anyone starts a thread about the behaviour of cyclists? You above all accusing anyone of "changing the subject" is a little bit rich to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Cars should be too expensive for idiots to get behind the wheel. Insurance premiums rise until it meets that price point unfortunately.

Only when people pretend to be concerned about road deaths and injuries, while they ignore the causes of 99% of road deaths and injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

How pedestrianised genuinely is Grafton St though ? I almost got flattened by a van Thursday morning!

Are other streets that are going car free REALLY going car free? I can’t drive so no skin in this game!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is open to traffic for deliveries in the morning until 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Oh thank you that helps!!

I rarely walk that way but I’ll know now!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ARX

Are you referring to the cycle lane on Leopardstown Road? It's not "perfectly good". It's probably the worst in Dublin. It's certainly the worst I've seen anywhere in Europe. I've ridden on unpaved minor roads in the back arse of Poland that are better than that cycle lane.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be fair, "perfectly good cycle lanes" are only ever "perfectly good" to people who have never used them.

The irony that gets lost is that it if they were actually "perfectly good" then why is the claimant not using it!

Isn't there two lanes for traffic on most of the section from the N11 to Westwood. Classy on the 'serves him right' angle though. I hope no bully uses their vehicle to intimidate your daughter when she's cycling.

Why didn't you use the M50 entrance to Westwood anyway? I don't know why we bloody pay to build these motorways when drivers won't use them

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

As I recall the threads you used to hijack had little if anything to do with road safety but were instead from pedestrians venting their frustration with many in the cycling fraternity who don't seem to know what a footpath is for or what a red light means. So to see you above all people accusing someone of trying to "change the subject" was … amusing to say the least.

These threads bring back not-so-fond memories. One: of being stuffed into bottlenecked, sardine can trains and Luases when I was "lucky" enough to live near a railway, and two: of having to negotiate with two-wheeled menaces who treated footpaths like their own private racetrack.

But yes, the REAL problem in Dublin is supposedly not the awful and sparse public transport, but the people for whom this isn't a realistic option. Got it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, Westwood have a gym beside the racecourse iirc. And if they think that cycle lane is 'perfectly good' they have zero credibility when talking about cycling infrastructure.

Yes, that's a great example - drivers kill about 40 pedestrians each year, nearly one each week, and pedestrians want to vent about cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm looking forward to government councillors and TDs knocking on my door over the next 12-18 months.

I'm going to walk them out on the road where footpaths and cycle routes were promised a decade ago. See if they'd be happy to walk the 1km of road to get to the dart all the while dodging cars and vans.

Same dart station has had its number of P+R spaces cut in half recently. Eamon Ryan thinks they are inappropriate for dart stations. Shouldn't encourage people driving to such suburban stations apparently.

Cabbage head

Advertisement