Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Might be of interest to i3 owners; https://youtu.be/OrjX-UGl5go?si=iuQI385c31N1aOLL

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Looks like a fairly handy repair.I wonder what they paid for it? (Must admit I skipped through the video to the key points because I couldn't stick a whole video listening to them 😀)

I’m guessing less than half it’s retail value. They usually go through all the numbers once it’s finished and ready for sale. Crazy to write off a car with such little damage. Little wonder car insurance is so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭tlaavtech

Tyre Question: Need to change the rears on my i3 (175/60 R19). Do i really need winter/summer tyres or will summer only do - I live on the coast with not a lot of hills on my commute?

Choice seems to be between Michelin and Continental. Ratings are the same (AB) with the exception of noise 68db (Michelin) vs, 70dB (Continental). Anyone have any reason not to go with the quieter Michelin (assuming I am reading that correctly!)?

There is only one option for all season is the Bridgestone P600 and they don't have spectacular ratings (CC 70dB).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

I got 4 new tyres around September, i wanted to go for the Michelin E Primacy, a little more expensive, but sopposedly better comfort, and less noise. but could not get them, tried a few places in May/June, one place priced it, but when he went to order, they were not available. He told me they make them in batches, and it could be months before they make the next batch, so went for Continentals.

One only has a few choices with the i3, so make sure what you want is actually available before you order.

btw, Michelin do offers periodically, like the one below, and if i had been able to get them, i would have gotten €115 off :

https://car-offers.michelin.co.uk/roi/spring2023

• Advertisement

I’d be guessing, as i don’t often drive my i3 on Motorways, but i’d say around 175kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Personally I’d avoid the continentals , switched to them when the Bridgestones wore out and I feel they have less traction in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I got Conti Ecocontact 6 last year, €152 each from Oponeo (175/60 R19). They were the best rated overall at the time from the ones available to me and reasonable money

I would be biased on priorities though, dry grip is far more important to me than wet grip. If it is wet, I do not drive like a lunatic. If it is dry, I do 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Yeah, tbh that was why we switched from the Bridgestones, the continentals were generally getting better reviews…. BTW No lunatic driving involved! They just seem to have less traction pulling out of junctions in the wet than the Bridgestones but YMMV

I'm sure most of you will have seen this, but for those who haven't:

• Advertisement

2016 i3 with tiny mileage, what a waste of a car for whoever owned it; https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-2016/36518022

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

At least range anxiety was unlikely to be a problem…😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Maybe it was. Hence the low mileage. Extreme range anxiety. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭eagerv

Like many other things, probably would have been cheaper to rent it by the hour..😋

Definitely but it would make for a nice fresh example now for its next owner. It’s obviously not the cheapest example but it’s sometimes worth paying a bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If I was in the market for an EV right now I'd be going to look at that ASAP.

I can't really see the attraction if I'm honest. It's not cheap, got the econo seats and a poor spec by the looks of it. What does it matter if it has 10k km or 80k km?

i3 extras like sunroof, harmon kardon upgrade, leather seats, adaptive cruise control, are not that common, not rare either, but the bulk of examples, don’t have them. It is a little expensive, and would be negotiable

someone i worked with before had this issue. They bought a brand new Alfa Romeo, they had it it, just a few days and were transferred at work to the U.S. unexpectantly, car was garaged for 4 years, just a few hundred up on it, when they moved back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭sh81722

An i3 noob here. Bought a August 2017 built 94Ah car with pretty much all the options ticked to replace a 30 kWh LEAF. Drove from Cork to North Kildare yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with the actual attainable range.

Needs new tyres, going for Continental UltraContacts. The car has currently 175/60-19 all around but the fronts look wrong on the narrow wheels. Went for the staggered tyres as specified.

Should the iDrive be capable of being online? I tried to activate the car on My BMW app but never received the iMessage with the code. The car's menu doesn't list the option to update services or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭tlaavtech

Congratulations! It's an amazing little car!

iDrive is online and there is no fee for the SIM unless you want the live traffic updates. Got registered on the app the day I bought it 2 years ago and never been an issue since. Trying to remember the procedure but can't. It was a bit of a faff at the time, but I think that was because i wasn't used to the iDrive system. I just remember multiple codes attempts. Can't find anything on YouTube, but I presume there is something on the BMW site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭sh81722

Cheers tlaavtech, loving it so far. And the Max Batt Capa is at 28.0 kWh so the battery have fared well over the past 7 years and 76k.

I followed this youtube from Wisely but there is none of the options listed below

Advertisement