Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Our i3 has the drving assistance thing. Ive tried it on the M50 and works OK for the ACC part. The lane keep you have to be on a motorway and drving less than 30 km/h for it to work. Found that strange. Also has Park assist. Not really needed in such a nimble car

• Registered Users Posts: 64,796 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You can get that programmed to whatever speed you want. For someone who has done that before, it's a 5 minute job.

And yeah, I agree with you, the self parking is pretty absurd on such a small car. Mine has it too, never even tried it. My Tesla Model S has it too, summon even, where you can drive the car while you are not in it, via your phone as a remote control. And that is a huge car, used it once when I was blocked in returning to me car 😂

Been meaning to get bimmercode and try one of the OBDs i have but never really got around to it. Dont think the Mrs will let me mess around her car either. Coincidentally we went looking at cars with her today, mulling over replacing the Family wagon. I really wanted the Polester 2 but that failed the family test with the transmission tunnel. Looked at the new EX30 and the interior in that was too small!

The ID family is OK, but if you cannot get basic functionality like scheduled charging right, then you deserve the negative press you get around it

In think the i3 may have ruined her for other cars..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

i3 is hard to beat from many use case perspectives. Unless you're after a giant boot or definitely have to have 5 seats, it's such a versatile car - let alone EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭handpref

All id's should be on 3.2 now, scheduled charging works so I wouldn't discount them - It was also an issue for Ioniq 5's and ev6's..amazing how many manufactures failed to do what nissan did with the original leaf...shame about the ex30 being small, I have to say I was disappointed when I saw one on the road, lovely car though..

• Advertisement

Talk about scheduled charging, I find it a bit flakey, anyone else have that? It seems to revert to "charge immediately" and when I change to "charge in time slot" in the app and send update to the car, nothing changes. Not until I manually kill the charge switch in my house

Now this is only relevant for me if I charge the Tesla (on the zappi) and the BMW (on the granny charger) at the same time, which is rare enough, but did so last night

I know they are now but it took more than a year to resolve . Dont you still need to add the location to the schedule or something of the sort?

I rented an Id3 for about 10 days in the UK and its was great. The Airbnb i staed at had EV charging so just plugged it in without care so didnt try out the scheduled charging

Never had an issue with whatever program I select or charging.

If on the charger and charge immdiately is selected and its starts charging, will it really suspend charging to the scheduled time if prompted from the app? I doubt it but never tried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭fafy

I time slot charge my i3 from my Andersen A2 charger, never any issues.

overtime, have regularly being using more, the i3 scheduled departure via the app, and always use it for early morning departure times for longer journeys. So not only is cabin warm, the car is fully charged at departure time, assuming of course, i am leaving, before the night rate ends at 8/9am.

Unkel, i am wondering if your issue, is because you may not have, an active “BMW connected Drive” package, so car does not receive your app time slot charging commands ? Its an annual subscription of €89.

It should suspend, but it doesn't

@fafy - indeed I do not have an active subscripton and have no appetite to sign up for one. The car is 4G internet connected though, I can see where it is in my phone app. Like I said this is rarely an issue, only when I charge on the granny cable. And that is from a waterproof outdoor socket, which has its own group in my CU. If I was bothered, I could put a contactor / switch like a shelly on it so I can automate. But I'm not bothered 😂

And when I am charging on granny cable, it really does need a charge, so I don't mind if it charges for a chunk outside of my night rate as it will just charge from home battery (unless I am really low)

• Advertisement

Sorry I must have picked you up wrong, I thought you meant that vw haven’t got the timed charging sorted on the id’s and it may have put you off. It does work and works well, selecting location such as home takes only a second and it’s always there on the drop down menu once saved - same in the born-

Only took them nearly 4 years but 3.2 is how it should be - can’t fault it now.

I get the odd glitch from the i3 , timed charge but kicks on for ten minutes and then off-

@unkel it won’t time charge on the granny cable - mine has only ever charged immediately on the granny cable since day one.

I get the odd glitch from the i3 , timed charge but kicks on for ten minutes and then off-

Isnt that when battery below 7%? even with timed chargingis set, it will charge upto 12% to mitigate battery being at too low charge. The Chemistry setup of the earlier i3 was such that there was no issue with High SoC (Obviously for reasonable time), but low SoC was to be avoided.

Do not have any subscription and never had an issue sending commands to the car

Good to know, so, what exactly does the annual subscription give you, the maps is a seperate purchase, so thats not included

@fafy Didn’t know there was a subscription- the app isn’t too bad to be fair. Screen shots below in case you’re paying for stuff that’s free- I don’t use maps. App response works but not as quick as the Tesla one.

Mine is similar, but without the Rex, i do use the sat nav (voice commands)etc regularly, and Alexa while using Car Play, but it is is a little unclear what precisely the subscription adds, does the voice commands and realtime traffic info and online navigation work, where one does not have a subscription ?

I am not bothered about BMW online. My one has enhanced blutooth with under arm rest inductive charging, and tbf signal phone is much better when its in there.

Defo no real time traffic, I have to rely on Google maps for that.

But same in Tesla (or pay €10 a month), the id3 uses apple play or some app connect and has full Google maps and Spotify menus on the big screen - real time traffic is a must for me, painful using the phone.

Just to note that all Teslas bought before 2019 or so have free unlimited premium connectivity for life 😀

And thanks for explaining the timer doesn't really work on the granny charger. I will have to live with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ricey3509

i3 timed charging set in car or via app works perfectly fine with granny cable, I’ve done it loads of times over 5 years of ownership without any issues.

I'll try set it in the car and report back. Setting it in the app doesn't work for me on the granny charger. It loses the setting next time I charge and reverts to charging immediately. When I click on that, it remembers the 2AM to 5AM timeslot alright, but when I click on that and update to the car, nothing happens and it keeps charging.

• Advertisement

Is that just with the granny charger or the same with your home charger? Might be a software issue in the car , ours is a 2016 BEV so we may have a later sw version.

Pretty sure I have the latest version of the software in the car. But will double check

I have only noticed the issue with the granny charger, as the main car charger is a zappi and it only allows charging between 2AM and 5AM, so there is no problem there 😁

Gotcha. I have a zappi as well but don’t use its scheduling capabilities.

With a smart meter and super cheap night rate, it's a must! I pay 5c, so can charge the car up from empty to full for about €0.80 😂

That way you can leave the car on to charge immediately, which is handy if you ever charge elsewhere - believe me it is easy to forget to have to change charge settings when you are out. And you don't want to come back to a car that hasn't charged at all, when you really needed it to. Plus risk a parking fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

What kind of real world range are people getting from the 94Ah cars? Lets say worst case in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

Last week in the sub-zero I was getting about 130km, maybe a bit less - didn't exactly do a "run dry" test! In the middle of the summer, closer to 220km. My commute is half urban, half 80km.

That more or less aligns to what was on my GOM on the larger i3 120Ah battery, it was about 210 km, during our recent cold snap, but would be 300 ish km in summer.

And aligns with my 60Ah too. In the summer I could get 150km in ideal circumstances, but not on motorways and I'd have to be gentle enough (but not having to resort to hypermiling). In the cold snap it would barely be 80km or so with the heat on, despite having a heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Thanks for that info folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

What kind of range does the 120Ah deliver at 120kph at average temps, say 12C?

Advertisement