Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options
1301302303304305307»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On WISP vs. MBB, mobile has its place in the hierarchy being national networks that fill the mobile and fixed wireless niche, backed by large MNOs. WISPs are always going to be limited by spectrum availability and regionality.

My brother uses a 4G router going on 2 years now, with a €10 per month SIM, and wouldn't even consider the reduced €50 per month Starlink sub.

WISP coverage has pretty much disappeared in our area bar Imagine of course, if you have decent line of sight to one of their scarce masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

Phoned Imagine to cancel this morning. Kept me on hold for 15 minutes and came back with an offer of €29.99 per month for 24 months. Would be fine if they could give me Starlink speeds for that. Anyway, 30 days notice and bye bye Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I wonder when Amazon's Project Kuiper will launch? Will there be price war between them and Starlink then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just a quick information for all interested re: off-peak hours as there were confusing and sometimes contradicting infos posted here. It's 1am to 7am.

It's well hidden on the website, search box returns 0 results, google won't give anything useful either.

Browsed through articles and found this one:

https://www.imagine.ie/support/#/articles/why-is-my-usage-so-high----8d51e2d5-3905-48e2-80fc-8cdcca19ea3b

Funny thing: asked on their chat and rep answered (after good 10 minutes between question and answer) "well, I think it's 11pm to 8am". No relevant link given despite asking, finally redirected me to their tech team, they're not really helpful either (what a surprise! LOL). At that stage that was already approx 1 hour of my time wasted with them, but in the meantime I kept browsing articles and eventually found what I found. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fichtl

Has there been a price increase lately? Wondering about the difference between this and last month's bill

• Advertisement

Have they also jumped onto the 3% + CPI sub increase every April bandwagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭KildareP

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

With NBI finally arriving I've been left with the P2P receiver from my old Imagine subscription that they chose never to pick up. Does anyone have any knowledge on what the receiver actually is and if it's able to be reset and paired with another P2P unit?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Imagine kit operates in the 3.5GHz spectrum, for which they have a licence and you don't. Even if you could get it working, you can't do so legally.

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/tipperary/news/tipperary-td-warns-of-catastrophic-broadband-blackouts-if-suppliers-withdraw-before-nbi-rollout/a624818513.html

Michael Lowey advocating for Imagine Broadband in the Dáil yesterday

Imagine are in financial dire straits by the looks of things. Starlink may be gaining some new subscribers in the coming months.

A Tipperary TD has warned of the possibility of “catastrophic” broadband blackouts across large swathes of the country if a leading supplier withdraws before the National Broadband Plan (NBI) rollout is completed.

Despite being plagued by delays, National Broadband Ireland has stated that it is confident that all areas will be completed by the beginning of 2028, said Independent TD Michael Lowry.

As a result, existing commercial suppliers of broadband, like ‘Imagine’, have an immediate and serious financial viability problem, he said.

“They are now closely examining their immediate future in the market and the outlook for them is bleak without Government support,” Deputy Lowry told the Taoiseach during Leaders Questions on Tuesday. “Imagine currently have 47,000 customers across every county in Ireland with 2,400 of these in Tipperary.

“These are predominantly rural connections. If Imagine is forced to wind down in the coming months without a planned transition to NBI there will be a broadband blackout for an unsuspecting 47,000 customers,” he said.

“The impact of this would be catastrophic. Allowing the unplanned wind-down of this commercial provider would set the impacted regions across the country back years.

The actual discussion between Michael Lowry and the Taoiseach in the Dáil yesterday https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2024-04-30/speech/31/

The Indo published an article on their financial problems back in February

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We shouldn't be bailing out Canadian investment firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What's their turnover, can't be more that 30 million per year with the current (shrinking) subscriptions base.

There is zero chance this company will survive the next 4 years, that Canadian investment company have lost their shirt on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ciferos

Cant say I am very surprised.

I was with them for maybe 1.5years a few years ago, it was hard to get them out to collect their equipment and the speeds were very hit and miss.

I suppose it was better than nothing at the time, but definitively would not be using today with all the other offers on the market. They should have expanded their offering and especially their speed reliability.

Advertisement