Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So Tubs hit me, A book Pod…they bring 3 books? 1 from their childhood, excellent. One that changed their life, ooh niiice and the 3rd?

"Guess!"

Made them happy? "No"

OK, made them laugh out loud? "Nah"

Hmmm a gifted book? "Wrong!"

A book they'd love other people to read? "Ha! No!"

A toilet book? "No, no, no, waay off. A book that made them cry!!!"

Eh, Tubs are you sure that's gonna sound OK on the promos? Have you listened back to yourself saying "... a book that made them cry"?. It's gonna be a hard switch in 30 seconds to go from jaunty, to sad and back to jaunty again…are you sure about this?

"Hold my ice cream"

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

RT: "Noel, it's a book about their childhood, one about a life changing read and a book about DEATH!"

NK: Ah Jaysus Ryan, you can't call it a book about death. Too on the nose and you don't want to be saying that every episode. Need to keep it light and airey. People have to want to download this thing….."

RT: "Okaaaaay………..erm, how about a book about MISERY!"

NK: "No, again it's too downbeat. We need to keep away from the whole death, misery, illness thing…."

RT: "But……. I love all of those, Noel?"

NK: "Ehhhhhhh, what about 'a book that made you cry'. Would that be a good compromise? You could have on a lot of women and gay men. Happy tears. Tears of joy could be the angle……."

RT: "Brilliant! I love you, Noel"

NK: "I'm off to Aintree. Don't call me for the rest of the weekend okay"

RT: "Okay, buh bye Noel! XXX"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People making up imaginary conversations in their heads is more at home in the Liveline thread. Wat culler was de car?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mentioned the podcast to a few people - their response was - boycott easons until they cut ties with Tubridy - such is the toxicity of his “brand” these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Not only is Tubbs living rent free in some people’s heads but he’s now also having fictional conversations with his business manager in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

The fall from grace continues. He’s been badly advised. He needs to pack it in and live off the millions he’s already conned from the Irish public via his salary from RTE.

The listening/viewing figures from this podcast will be hilarious. Really living in a different world but reality is about to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭hawley

His three favourite books. Two that he read as a child and his other favourite he read as part of his Radio One show bookclub fifteen years ago. The other book that he reluctantly left out was also part of that bookclub. Does he really expect people to believe that he's a book worm?

https://evoke.ie/2024/04/14/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-books-shaped-me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Another Sinead O'Connor name-drop.

Appropriate title for the book that made him cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Still leeching off a quote Sinead O'Connor may or may not have made. He's shameless. A horrible individual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

God in a hoodie is back!!! Wow.

I genuinely thought even RT had realised he’d wrung every last drop out of that.

Tubs must be the only person in history who’s been mugged yet walked away unscathed with €150,000 in his pocket.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

he must be saving up the U2/moped story to regurgitate when times really are bad and he needs an angle to get a story into a newspaper…..

The moped is Electric isn’t it? That could be his angle…. Though I suspect the moped is sitting gathering dust somewhere with 7km on the odometer….

Incidentally, an electric moped would probably be an epic mode of transport for London life… he could even get one of those open faced helmets so people could still recognise him….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Books that shaped him? Being literal about it, that would explain a lot. :)

Regards…jmcc

Perhaps as a tribute to Spike Milligan, the title for his autobiography should be "RTE: My Part In Its Downfall".

Regards…jmcc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Rick O'Shea did regular zoom interviews with authors during lockdown. Talking about their favourite books. It was enjoyable.

Maybe that's where Tubridy got the idea from 😉…

O’Shea really must be an innovative thinker to come up with the idea of a book show with a guest.

Wouldn't be surprising. Rick O'Shea seems to be part of the literary landscape in Ireland and he really seems to like books. Just Googling for some Irish literary and books podcasts shows that it seems to be a competitve niche. Tubridy's "three books" angle seems to be an attempt to format a show around Tubridy rather than the prospective guest.

Is there any kind of scale for the number of books someone would read in a year that would indicate whether someone is an occasional book reader or an avid book reader?

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I think we can all agree that the idea of a book show with a guest is not particularly innovative, so it's surprising that it has taken Tubs so long to get his podcast off the ground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, I have said it previously on here, Rick O'Shea has had huge involvement in this area, long before Tubridy tried to get in on it.

O'Shea is a true book lover, and a voracious reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭yagan

• Advertisement

He is an avid devourer of delicious books. With a voracious appetite for the written word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭hawley

I'd imagine that you'd want to read at least one book per week to be called an avid reader. So, if Tubridy is an avid reader, he'd have read over seventeen hundred books in his adult life. Yet, the only books he ever mentions are ones that he read as part of his Radio One book club in 2009.

Maybe one of his low paid researchers read those books and gave him the bullets points.

https://fullfocus.co/what-every-author-should-know-about-radio-and-television-interviews/#:~:text=Don't%20expect%20the%20interviewer%20to%20have%20read%20your%20book.&text=And%20whatever%20you%20do%2C%20don,list%20of%20questions%20to%20ask.

Don’t expect the interviewer to have read your book. Many first-time authors complain that the interviewer didn’t read their book. Trust me: this is the norm. Assume that the interviewer hasn’t read your book, and you won’t be disappointed. And whatever you do, don’t embarrass them on-air by asking! Instead, make the host look smart by providing the producer with a list of questions to ask. Nine times out of ten, they will ask you these exact same questions.

He doesn't seem to be an avid reader. Rick O'Shea's reviews are very different to those of Tubridy. Being thought of as "literary" seems to be important to Tubridy while O'Shea's reviews (the few that I've read) are very much focused on the books and encourage people to buy based on his recommendations.

Publishers will supply books to the media in the hope of a review. It is part of the business and after a while the endorsement of various media people becomes important for various genres. (Some reviewers are good for detective stories, others for SF, others for Fantasy, others for Chick Lit, others for History etc.) Tubridy doesn't seem to have the momentum to carry a book review podcast on his own. This makes the guests necessary for it. It may get an audience from his Irish Instagram fanbase but it would be difficult for it to attract downloads from outside that.

Regards…jmcc

I go through phases of being an avid reader, at least a book a week in my teens, 20s and 30s, but I rarely ever read anything based upon a radio interview.

An avid reader is most likely to seek out material they've read around.

He mentioned The Wager by David Grann in one of his radio programmes in 2023. That book was not around in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

There is literally no actual lover of books, or anyone with an appreciation of what a good book could be, who, when asked the question - "Name the book that changed your life" - says The chronicle of the 20th century. (Alan Partridge's favourite Beatles album was The Best of the Beatles.)

The other option being a book which is read in one sitting at less than 100 pages (Diving Bell and the Butterfly).

The power of literature and the joy, delight and emotion it can bring to those who love reading is something enjoyable to listen to. Tubridy's fake schtick is books because he doesn't have any other interests, can't feign an interest in sports, and can't even read enough books NOW to maintain this fake persona that has been concocted for him. Just start reading books Ryan, you'd get away with it.

Where is Vogue Williams in this podcast or was that something that NKM pretended?

I think people in general don’t read as many books as they used to. So much time is now spent by some people mindlessly scrolling through social media etc looking for a quick dopamine hit, something to be outraged by, or to feel like part of an online tribe.

It’s very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

tubridy is an intellectual pigmy. It’s getting sad at this stage.

Advertisement