Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Look, we've seen the size of the breakfast plate he uses posted on Instagram:

It's actually a small plate. I know the chips are in a separate bowl, so potentially a bigger plate would be warranted, but it is a small bowl, and the combined volume would not constitute a very large plate.

A google search for "Ryan Tubridy Cone" only brings up ice-cream cones.

Are we seriously going to condemn the man as a living Alan Partridge for enjoying ice cream? We'd all be guilty as charged!

As for the final example, if anyone has any evidence of Tubridy or his associates being involved in any abuse of a monkey, I will be the first to condemn him. But until then, the charge cannot be reasonably leveled against him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The thing is though, Partridge sketches are cringe comedy, it works so well and we laugh because we know its a skit, but with Tubridy, it's the same levels of cringe, but it's actually real life. It's him. It's not intentional. And it's funcking hilarious!! exactly because it's not meant to be...

The only credible way he has out of this is if it turns out his entire career is a skit, and he's trolling us all, and actually he's the greatest comedy mastermind in the world.... Phase 1 of the masterplan (convince Ireland) is complete, and now he's onto Phase 2 (get big in U.K. and convince them too)..

Them eggs look like they've been sat in a warming tray for about 4 hours.....

if that's his idea of heaven, he's a man with very few ideas in his head.

Are we seriously going to condemn the man as a living Alan Partridge for enjoying ice cream? We'd all be guilty as charged!

Like Tubridy, we all probably enjoy an ice cream (I love ice cream).

But unlike Tubridy, we all probably don't photograph the occasion for posterity, and then post it to social media, sharing to the world that we happen to enjoy one of the most common frozen dairy treats in the world. But in fairness, we're not senior hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭GSF

You can certainly get better breakfasts than this in London. Lots of places round by Fitzrovia for starters and he might get to run into some BBC commissioning executives 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

We don't know that this is a buffet breakfast.

Even Tubridy wouldn't be daft enough to document his involvement in the theft of a traffic cone, if such a theft had occurred.

I have no evidence that any of his associates were involved in the abuse of a monkey, but that doesn't prove that they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I just love the balls out denial of reality that Tubridy engages in. I mean, it goes well beyond a semantic argument about his culpability in the payments scandal vs RTE. He can make the case all day long that he was an unknowing innocent in that and it was RTE who should shoulder all the blame. Plenty of admirers will carry water for him on that one.....

But yesterday's entry just goes to show Tubs is in no way backward about completely rewriting history in order to bolster his own whiter than white image. Pretending that he had some agency in ditching RTE last summer is just complete BS that anyone who has followed this story will see for what it is. If he's prepared to come out with tripe like that then IMO he's well equipped to deny his own portion of blame for the scandal last year. Which is why Bakhurst had to send him packing. He wasn't going to admit any fault and would probably have used his first show back to settle scores live on air. Queue mass walkout of his radio show team and Tubs getting taken off air on week 1.

I still believe he will eventually make it back to Montrose but the date is getting pushed back into the distance all the time. The whole RTE fiasco will have to be as old news as the banking crisis of 2009 is now.

Posing for a photo with an ice cream is a very common publicity endeavor. It signifies a leisurely connection to ordinary people and mutual trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I would say, yes to the first question; for the second one, I'd say it won't happen until has bank balance suffers from the lack of RTÉ and Renault funding. The third one is a bit too specific. He's more likely to befriend a troubled bookshop employee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm still incredulous at the fact that Bakhurst was prepared to have him back, after everything that had gone on. And while that was on a much reduced salary 🥴 it was still crackpot money for the hours and the work involved.

Absolutely agree - I firmly believe that would have been exactly what Tubridy would have done, as soon as his feet were safely back under the desk in RTE. 'It wasn't me, I'm not to blame, I have been wronged.'

I think it's depressing to see that D'arcy was recently handed a renewed contract involving ridiculous money. Some things definitely have not changed. I lost faith in Bakhurst early on anyway, and that confirms to me that it's business as usual in Lala land. Montrose.

So Tubridy returning at some point doesn't seem at all far-fetched, unfortunately. A new broom was needed in RTE, Bakhurst is not that new broom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

That's it. An english accent doesn't make him an outsider, especially since he had done a 4 year stint at RTE in the early 2010's. The right result was arrived at with Tubs leaving in August, but that was down to Tubs himself, not Bakhurst who was bending over backwards to retain his services.

To be fair to him though, he always did talk about the expensive legal quagmire that RTE would be drawn into if it got into the habit of sacking high ranking individuals mid contract. In his mind, the famous 150k lost to Mr Tubridy's rainy day fund probably stacks up well against what they would have had to settle for if it had ended up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think he'd abuse a monkey but he sure does enjoy watching animals die 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Bakhurst's halo has been slipping fast. He has been shown to be just another company man. The. new D'Arcy contract shows the nature of the new broom sweeping through Montrose 🙄

Bakhurst did his utmost to keep Tubridy on board, but Tubridy's arrogance and hubris made it impossible for him to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He'd be roaring at them during their tennis training sessions if that project ever got off the ground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

When he went back in to the committees and was still saying 'I will have to check that and come back to you' I think it was about the photographer contract that was something to do with Fair City, I was starting to think 🤔 ...

And yes, I think seeing what D'arcy is signed up for, for another four years says it all.

Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

You couldn't have picked a nicer and humbler bunch of people in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's just shocking....we all know if D'Arcy was offered 150k for the 4 years he would have had to accept it. I don't understand the logic of "we won't pay more than 250k" so "we'll give 250k".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

Loads of famous people and no Tubridy? You're slipping, Gregor. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Huh? Post 2462 has the pics of Tubridy and the ice cream. That post was to show that it's a common theme among pictures of other high profile and successful people.

Or did you just want to see him with an ice cream again? I can certainly oblige:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Chocolatier

Bertie. Another liúdramán with a big FF head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,297 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can see Tubs back in rte some day, especially once KB goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

It hasn't been revealed yet if Ray D'Arcy will be getting 250, with his new contact.....

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/tv/12568385/rte-ray-darcy-new-contract-pay-deal/amp/?espv=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If Tubridy is going to get back to RTE, he needs to do it fast. A lot of the old guard who would be his friends and who run the show in there will be leaving if possible over the next couple of years. They'll take the big redundancy packages and go back to the house in Mount Merrion.

Those who are left will view him as the pariah who steered the gravy boat onto the rocks. It doesn't matter how responsible he was, he's regarded as the poster boy of the scandal and all the waste associated with RTE. There's a load of people in there who won't get the benefits of their predecessors, for them the big party is probably over, with the media watching their every step.

They are also bitter as many of their mates are losing their jobs over this, and the channels have been blocked for their kids to continue their own little mini-dynasties in RTE. It occasionally sticks its head up in public, just witness Emma O'Kelly's vitriolic reports at the height of the crisis.

If Tubridy were to come back, he'd have trouble finding anyone to work with him, and those who are forced to won't put the effort in.

Along with this, any DG will have to take a load of flak for it, and for most of them, it's far, far more trouble than it's worth.

and that's before we even bring up the fact he's a sh11t broadcaster...

And as has been proven, it was never him, it was the time slot that had the listeners, never the presenter.

There are probably radios around the country that haven't changed frequency in decades, and people will gladly listen to whoever is on R1

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Just on Tubs moving to any Irish broadcaster. It's highly unlikely.

Bauer strategy is to buy up Radio stations. Neither of the 2 national stations since Bauer took them over have added any star names to their roster of DJs/Presenters. If they were serious about Newstalk both Andre Gilligan and Sean Moncreiff would have be dumped long ago, neither have helped "move the dial".

It's likely that The Yuff Regional stations will start to simulcast some programming from Dublin with a regional based morning and drive time shows and some news. A simulcast of Tubs won't work on those stations unless the plan them to go older, which might be what they do. If they buy Classic Hits perhaps there is a role there for Tubs. But I just don't see Bauer heading hunting any major names in the Irish Market for any of their stations.

Wireless (who own Q102) are largely local, I can't see them taking Tubs just for Q102, maybe a syndicated hour long show at 9am? But are wireless wanting to move out of the Irish Market?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭mountain

Just listened in to him there,

another story, all about himself

In half of these pictures, they are not 'posing for a photo'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭Karppi

Advertisement