Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your slurry/fodder situation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭50HX

I'm not talking about the farmer making minimum feed every year....that's poor business sense or baling out the lad that's driving on numbers & no allowances made

I'm referring to the fact that where I am it's rained since the middle of June last year, if you get locked up with tb or heavy ground that's failed to get 2nd cuts out of you are snookered if you get a bad 3 months either side if the Xmas.

2013 was the last time the perfect storm came here & people got caught.

Far from emotional blackmail..…more like dying farming community spirit in certain areas

As an aside I got a call earlier with the offer of bales if I wanted,we gave him feed in 2009...no charge, wheel always turns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Maybe easy to say but marts are usually good trade, and any man with lost second cuts, even now it's worth selling excess stock if takes pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you not remind him? Would he been a cute hoor or just forgot about it.

Best drawing a line under each transaction at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Tough fortnight ahead as the weather is promised sh1te until the 15th of April. Even if the weather was to clear that day you'd need another few days drying before cattle could go out. I'm feeding rolled barley to the cows now to spare the silage, but thats not free nor a long term solution. I think there's room for more to be culled this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Tileman

no I was too shocked. He is a mechanic but it was literally just a 5 min job so that my father could finish the mowing in the morning. He was passing the door.
    oh we never fell out but wouldn’t be going offering him feed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

more than likely enough til end of April and realistically cattle could be in til then.
    Land is saturated.,

cattle as fed up as myself,

They broke out of the yard last week when I was agitating. They ran up the road, turned around and went back into the shed.
    just hardship at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The weather is bad when the cattle say fnck this and walk back into the shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

three weeks fodder remaining, ok for slurry storage.
    land is shocking.

Heard prices in mart were well back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have cows out as they calved (calved all indoors except first one this year) and was worried would run out of grass on fields grazed first. ( had to move them around quicker than normal due to wet ground) but more optimistic this morning as can see bit of growth coming. Beef cattle still in because they go to outside blocks and while it's possible to bring them back they will stay out when put out! Had cows out for month of Feb on "saved grass" which saves a lot of silage, but wetter winters have me considering not doing this in future even though I find it great to get cows fit for calving compared to being couped up in shed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

7 days of silage but have a shed of 100 bales of hay ranging from 1-6 years old ranging from the finest June hay to 70 percent rushes.

A week in the tank. Have them booked to move a few tanks which should sort it.

• Advertisement

serious drying today. No rain and the sun is out . Much better than predicted. Some amount of bales on the move on. Roads this morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Conversations 3

Lovely day yesterday, gone 2 steps backwards today.

Had to get the slurry gun out to get some pressure off the tanks, no other choice.

Bit of pit left and 40 bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Very wet day here again all cattle still in never as late getting stock out. Buying silage also, its a costly winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

no cattle out here bar 7 that weren’t incalf and been fattened in a field of stubbles . 50 cows and calves in and 10 still to calve. Have plenty of bales and barley to roll. Taking out a couple of tanks and spreading on stubbles as I go along. Had a herd test last November and department want to test me every 4 months till they deem me ok. I refused to do it by the 28th of march as too much goin on so got a letter saying I’m now restricted. Haven’t had a reactor in 20 years but the big dairy men around me are all down. So I’m guilty until proven innocent. Shower of ba$tards.

you should raise that with farmers journal or agri land . Show the absolute nonsense the dept are at. Saying they will support farmers and then act like that.

Another 14 days of sh1te weather ahead going by the forecast. Slurry back up to the bottom of the slats again, the place was dryer the last time I dropped the tank down.

Out of rolled Barley now, bought a pallet of beef nuts from the coop, the prkks shoved up the prices too over the last week. 13 days feed left, not looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What part of the country are you? looking like it might be a bit drier in the south and east next week

West Clare. Land was dryer here a month ago but its non stop raining since. Plenty grass in the feilds after the mild winter but it wouldn't last a week unless it drys out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s a good chance of high pressure for the second half of next week imo, hopefully it happens, badly needed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Dozer1

In Limerick and some of them are going out for the 3rd time on Monday regardless as all feed will be gone and tanks are full forecast is improving. Any bales I've seen lately have been poor enough stuff I'm going to try and avoid buying more of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Is that action by the Department even legal ?
    If you have never had a reactor, had a clear test in November and yet you are restricted ? It’s the same as they insisting on two clear tests after a reactor .Why would one clear test not be enough? Especially in a year like this.
    The Department of Agriculture needs to be pulled into line badly and if the farm organisations don’t have the balls for it, it will be up to individual farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Have any of the co-ops started sourcing fodder yet in conjunction with the governments fodder transport subsidy scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭straight

I have about a month of silage left and a foot or two left in the slurry tanks. Had to travel with the tank a few times in slippy conditions and did damage.

I had 200 bales of silage for sale earlier on the winter but there was no interest. I think it was @Mooooo on here that said to me, he never depends on spring arriving until May 1st anymore. (Or something not that effect).

Lesson learnt for me anyway is to sell nothing. I just thought I had way too much and wouldn't be able to use up my pit enough before I cut silage.

yea I sold some on jan and wish I hadn’t now.
    another neighbour gave 30 to a relative in jan but has to go out and buy some now himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭50HX

I don't know is it in conjuction with the support scheme or not buy I heard kerry supplying pit silage at 50p/tn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Preasure high yesterday and today. Can't make out why the fook its taining at this pressure. Never seen it rain at 1023..

fecking serious rain again this afternoon and evening here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,185 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got another load of silage bales today. Got slurry out with pipes on Tuesday. Cows were out today. Hate listening to them bawling wanting to go out as they're coming out of parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I asked the lad in my local Kerry store Wednesday if they were going to be be sourcing stuff and making it available locally. Said he would find out for me but it's tumbleweeds from him since. A neighbour has since got in contact and said he can see me out with what I'll need. Hopefully if there's an improvement in the weather a couple of weeks will get some of them out on the drier ground. One of the tanks is looking like it will need a few loads taken from it early next week again.

Need to find a lad with a quad and weed licker to give a run to a few meadows as the rushes are starting to creep up but they're hard got now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

I have 4 weeks of bales left for my cattle. If temperatures increase and cattle do go out, the grass will grow fast and it will get too strong to graze. Il be left with alot of silage to cut or else alot of topping to dp on my fields as it be hard to keep on top of the grass.

Advertisement