Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Isn't that why McEntee/FFFG are trying to bring in the thought Hate speech laws, so if you criticize the Government then the Gardai can turn up at your door and arrest and imprison you for your comments opposing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

Exactly. The hand-wringing from Sinn Fein is laughable. They couldn't care less about most issues. Their sole agenda is to criticise whatever the govt have done/said/not done/not said. Sadly a lot of people are taken in by it.

Re the junkets - would be interesting to see the hypocrisy if Sinn Fein were to get in next election - does anyone think they won't be milking Paddy's day around the world drumming up support for a united Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So you want TD's to get off Twitter because of online bullies?

How would anyone think that is a good idea? why should people be forced off twitter because of a group of "people" online?

Why not get rid of the trolls or people cop the f**k on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah that's exactly what I said. Twitter is making you a little unhinged. Maybe you should give it a break rather than keep reporting how upsetting it is.

I don't give a fiddlers what TDs do with Twitter. I have never seen the point of Twitter.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Sinn Fein already do, they had a Gala in the US for fundraising. Nothing to do with improving Irish business relations in the US, just a money maker. Yet their supporters will waffle on about others going on government duty

That's what you said. Maybe stop making personal comments.

I know you want a reaction to run to the mods but a bit of cop on. It's embarrassing now

It's not just Leo, you see TD's trying to go out with family or to the shops and people up attacking them

Then the answer is to tell the victim they should change and not the actual scumb*gs doing it

Then the say people will cry about the issues with crime. Hilarious

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You make it sound as if he's only just become a TD/Minister - not since 2011 and not having held 2 ministerial posts in that time as well.

My view of him is based on his abysmal track record, the completely uninspiring and superficial way in which he comes across, and that as a result of both of these factors he's even MORE unsuitable for the job than his predecessor (whiich, I'll grant is ONE achievement I suppose!)

Yes and if he gets voted back in again, the same people will spend the next 5 years complaining about moaning about it.

Isn't that what we had for the last 5 years?
    So why do you think it will change?

The current government got voted in by the people yet the online abuse since the last election hasn't decreased and has escalated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

He has not been given an EU job.

What EU cushy jobs are you talking about exactly?

Be honest now. You don't think being an EU Special Representative is a cushy number? Consider the expenses and the fact that you never hear anything from Gilmore. He failed Labour badly and got a nice cushy number in EU. He was originally linked to a commissioner role but he ruined that chance.

Your own Dara Murphy was making corrupt expense claims and getting someone to use his fob in the Dail so that he could get to Brussels and network. He had a nice position lined up in the EU Commission before the expenses scandal broke.

A good exhibit here of why politicians are getting out of the game. Full of populist mumbo jumbo.

I have spoken to councillors from all hews (Green, Labour, SF and FG) over the past few months, due to a local issue we are trying to sort with a unfinished development that is causing pollution issues.

The one thing they all have in common? Trying to get people to run for local elections, especially women. No one wants to do the job, or the flak. Why?

The online world is one of the most repeated reasons. Many of these people are just ordinary people with families and live in the community. Why on earth would they do a thankless job when you have fools online taking petty potshots at them day in and day out behind anonymous accounts? The same people who won't lift a finger to actually help their own lot or their own community if you came calling.

People say abuse is part of the game. Id like to know who these people are so I can go down to their workplace and abuse them in return and see if they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,719 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If I'm honest I do not see the point of having both a President and Taoiseach, a President on a ridiculous high salary

Yea, Eamon Gilmore took up a role with a Human Rights organisation because of the 'expenses'.

Jaysys, would you ever listen to yourself?

The uber and nihilistic cynicism and pessemism that is emitted from that line of posting is boring, and banal because it paints anyone and everyone who is involved in politics as out for the money.

Again, this goes to my post above. Why would anyone get into politics when the public has such low esteem for them?

The point being of course, there are few cushy jobs in the EU. In fact the hours most of them work would make some baulk. But then again, those who are most vocal probably rarely worked a full day themselves.

People make excuses for abuse online. Disgusting to be honest to me.

It's not just TD's, sports people etc are coming out now and speaking out against it

I suppose the response will be "cry me a river" to them as well.

Again, why should anyone have to get off a platform just to please a group of online bullies? kick the bullies off.

As I said, cry me a river.

Now riddle me this - have you ever criticised an Irish politician on Boards as anonymous Mark O'Daly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Exactly Paddys Day junkets are, other than a few notable exceptions, junkets to be milked. Some people have the gift of eloquence

So don't vote for him.

Nothing I will say is going to change your mind.

But soapboxing gets a tad tiresome after the 241,294 of you saying the same thing about FG and 'da government'.

Look at all those words trying to move the goal posts. You asked me to list a cushy number in the EU.

Our Eamonn was ALWAYS very good at feathering his nests and his family member's nests.

I listed 2 cushy roles Eamonn has enjoyed for you;

EU Special Representative for the Colombian Peace Process
    EU Special Representative for Human Rights

and you waffled. Do you think being Tanaiste is easier than above? Is he flat out? What has he achieved?

Anything on Dara Murphy (FG)? Oh no, that one will be ignored.

Oh and where is that list of Simon's notable achievements since 2011?? 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 85,719 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree Donohue would have been a better fit but the fact he or no one wanted the job only Harris and the amount not returning tells a lot, FG know they will probably end up doing badly in the GE

The next GE will be decided by independents

This shambolic government will probably go down as the worse ever even after Cowen and Co., bankruptcy of the country

Harris has proven himself incompetent, a Frank Spencer in all portfolios he was over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think you'll find the next general election will be decided by the voters, and not by independents.

I would have respected them if they did so publicly and people knew who they were, but the majority of them would do so behind anonymous accounts.

This has been a feature for years on internet platforms that sadly this forum has not escaped.

Leo got it by the bucket loads.

Remember the Maria Bailey thread? Outright sexist and misogynistic abuse.

And you will note there is next to zero debate about policies. It's all personal, binary, banal stuff.

It's all about someone's character or how useless they are or something to that effect.

I asked earlier about what policies some would like implemented. I am still waiting….

Proof of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

More shoite is thrown across the Dail chamber than anywhere else. I don't hear the TDs blubbering in their soup over that abuse. When did our politicians turn into such cry babies? Social media is great to raise your profile, pity about the pesky electorate reacting to the constant 'Look at me' sound bites posted online by our reps

The prediction online here for the last few years has been Sinn Fein will decide the next election, now it's the Independents.

A lot of voters are aware the Independents are in reality a waste of space in Dail, they are a glorified county councillor who will do nothing for Ireland as a country, all they are good for is showing up at wedding and funerals. Telling everyone how it's "da guberments" fault they are so useless at their job

Tell any of the outspoken Independents they will be given a Minister job and they will run a mile, they would have to do some actual work.

You don't care about the abuse dished out to politicians because well, you are happy to dish it out. You are part of the problem but you dont see it as a problem. You dont see an issue where women are afraid to get into politics because of the abuse they get.

An odd moral position to take.

Have I criticised a politician, yes I have. I have critiqued their policies or lack thereof.

Have I gone to personal levels that we see here and elsewhere? No, I have not.

• Advertisement

Oh they are the big lads and ladies sitting behind anonymous accounts. Some of the more outspoken accounts here have admitted to running multiple twitter accounts so that their personal account is not affected.

Maria Bailey, the thread about Zappone, any Leo thread, MM threads, Eamonn Ryan and now Simon Harris…..notice a common theme here?

Policies? they wouldn't know a policy if it came up and slapped them in the face

Best example was the "Green Policies" thread which has just turned into a Green Party bashing thread, one of the most vocal has posted some awful things about Eamonn Ryan> but anyway going on about wind and how it was all the Green Party fault and once they get kicked out it would be great. They admitted to vote for Sinn Fein to stop the nonsense. Yet when I pointed out that according to Sinn Fein own documents they would increase the rollout of wind, not stop it, what did they do? yeah personal comments and still at it now if I post on the thread. That is what you are dealing with

Then we have a thread about boards dying. I wonder why

Advertisement