Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is ridiculous that this family owns a bookie company, Quinnbet.

If I were a sceptic I'd say that it could be a front for cleaning money but I'm obviously not a sceptic so obviously wouldn't say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd say you could go whistle if you somehow won big with them anyway... you have no legal recourse against a bookie and you think Quinn doesn't know that?!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

caught some of Quinn’s interview on “the hard shoulder”.

It seemed to me that Cuddihy the presenter hadn’t done his research.

He was out of his depth with Quinn who was challenging him at every turn and basically saying “here’s what happened”.

Cuddihy didn’t have the homework done to face up to him.

Maybe J P McManus could decide to give him another spanking...........

• Advertisement

Ugh, first Gilligan now Quinn... seems the airwaves are now a propaganda tool for very 'questionable' people

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Oh dear. According to evidence furnished by Fran McGuinness, brother of the late Cyril "Dublin Jimmy" McGuinness, in the High Court, allegedly Sean Quinn knew "Dublin Jimmy" for decades! Which seems to conflict with the latter's claims that he knew "Dublin Jimmy" only vaguely.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Madeoface

Yup. And who would be surprised about that exactly.... Let's see how this fact can be twisted....if only the media cottoned on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He was lucky he wasn't living in Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not only did Dublin Jimmys brother say that Sean Quinn knew him for decades he also said that Sean Quinn employed him-

He said “Cyril was a person of notoriety and they suspected him of being involved in the arson of the Quinn property”.

Counsel said he was quite notorious and there were many newspaper stories that he was supposed to be the mastermind behind the campaign against the former Quinn property.

He replied: “Does that make it true. He was friendly with Seán Quinn all his life and he worked for him as a subcontractor and lived in Derrylin in a property once owned by Seán Quinn.

So Quinn had no problems knowing, employing a convicted criminal for years. Yet he claims that he had nothing to do with directing this employee of his to attack and torture Kevin Lunny.

That priest up in Cavan was dead right to call Quinn out from the pulpit at Mass over all of this. He would have known exactly the type of relationship Quinn had with Dublin Jimmy. Indeed, Id hazard a guess that posters who have defended Quinn on this thread in the past and who also live in the Cavan-Fermanagh area knew full well about the existance of Dublin Jimmy and knew of Quinns relationship with him.

• Advertisement

As ever anything about Dublin Jimmy and Sean Quinn seems to disappear, no sign of the cops being hassled about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I see his beloved Slieve Russel is up for sale again. Sean Gallagher is apparently trying to buy it but only with the ‘blessing’ of Quinn. FFS. He actually wants the blessing or he is doing it just to placate the locals so that business runs smoothly, either way, again, FFS.

I always felt he was seriously wronged by Pat Kenny and his team costing him the Presidency. But front and centre at Quinn’s book launch and now this? Go and shite.

As for Quinn. I posted in this thread before that when he was asked for his thoughts after Kevin Lunney’s torturers were convicted - ‘I’ve nothing good to say about that man.’ Someone he’s known from a kid and employed his parents. After years of intimidation he was abducted, tortured in the most horrible fashion. Left for dead on a rural road with broken legs and had to drag himself to safety. While his family is at home wondering if they’ll ever see him again.
    Quinn, a great guy? Is he even human?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

FF bagman as president was a lucky swerve for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Its s very small town. Everybody knows everybody. Sure he could say he knew me, because I've been in the town numerous times and been in the same pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes, buy it and have the fire brigade on speed dial, or go ask the paymaster who lives next door if there is going to be trouble if you buy it.

It would seem he has more business sense than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Anglo Irish Bank would have happened either way. With or without Quinn. Denis Desmond (Goodbody) was in there about a month before with his financial team. He ran out of the place laughing, to borrow a phrase from Podge and Rodge. I wouldnt touch it with yours. Quinn did have a knack in fairness of turning around businesses that were mismanaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Remember reading Anglo Republic many years ago. Because of the way Quinn tried to buy Anglo with CFD’s instead on through the Stock Exchange, he was driving the price of the CFD’s up on himself everytime he bought more and made himself liable for a greater margin call everytime he did it. The brokers were making a fortune off him and laughing at him when they got off the phone with him.
    He took no financial advice on his move on Anglo. A complete solo run.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

He did a great job turning around Quinn Insurance didn't he? We're all still paying for that one.

Gallagher would have monetised the Presidency for his personal gain and ego, think Ahern/Haughey rolled into one.

His deference to Quinn is about respect and fear, he knows full well how big Daddy Quinn is and the power he still retains.

Its easy to remember the failures but what about the successes? Barlo radiators, the glass recycling, insulation, etc.

YYou also need to remember the industry he brought to the border counties. Never seen a minister for enterprise up there before.

IIts easy to remember Sean Quinn and forget about the other shennighans at NAMA and the NTMA. Remember? Brother in laws buying massive houses at knock down prices?

• Advertisement

You still think you are paying for that? That has well been long paid for. I bet you still pay for fizzy drinks thinking its for the boer war or Peters Pence is still paying for the crusades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We are still paying.

I never did any business with Sean Quinn apart from having drinks and food in some of his premises which I paid for.

I resent the fact that his business continues to cost me money every time I pay an invoice for insurance.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20239591.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have a serious problem with having to pay for other people's greed and mis-management too, Quinn, PMPA etc.

Meanwhile QuinnBet goes from strength to strength openly, hiding ownership offshore whilst Quinn's "kids" all have large judgments against them which are not being reduced, Quinn does not own his mansion, the kids do, nice stroke, sell it off and reduce their debts to the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Poon Tang

Depends whether you believe in the death penalty I suppose. That level of fraud destroys lives on an epic scale, as did our banking crisis. You'll mostly never hear about the people, who say, took their own lives because of financial ruin… and it likely won't be directly linked. But many people know of such stories. Where is the justice for those people?

The difference with Quinn, I would say, is that he was more reckless than deliberately malicious. As were the people lending to him. At what point do you decide someone went beyond stupidity/recklessness and into deliberately malicious territory?

I think in a communist country, everybody is supposed to be working towards the common good. That's the idea anyway, so perhaps they have a more hardened view of someone jeopardising other people's financial welfare.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is his nephew, Peter Darragh Quinn, still wanted by the gardai innorder to serve prison time for contempt of court?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I get annoyed when I think of the mess he made of things but I wouldn't wish him to be emisserated in his old age.

If he was put living on beans and toast in a caravan in a boggy field it still wouldn't touch the sides of what's owed.

I'll begrudgingly write off the few euro it costs me and leave it to Revenue and other regulatory bodies to keep an eye on current dealings.

You missed my point. Any debts accrued by the Quinn insolvency has been paid back this is the Revenue comissioner riding you at this stage.

Advertisement