Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Wrestlemania 40- 6th/7th April 2024 'spoilers'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Some day, Cody is going to just hit the third Cross Rhodes without walking to the ropes 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭ThePott

Match came alive as it went and honestly expected less out of the Rock. Taking a table bump and a spear was a surprise, bumped more as it went on. Also a bit of a cleaner finish than I would have predicted and sort of assumed Rollins was taking the pin.

Anyway overall I thought Rock looked good and wouldn't mind seeing him get another programme with someone but wonder if he could put on a singles match.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,256 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Roman taunting the literal Cody Crybabies (actual children) with his belt there 😅

Stage nicely set for tomorrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Really enjoyed that match. Apart from that and the IC title match it was poor. Crowd would want to liven up tomorrow….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Rock to interrupt the match 2mrw in the 1v1 to stop Rhodes winning it?

Haven't watched wrestling since attitude era so excusa the ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbh it's perfectly set for tomorrow though. Rollins likely loses to Drew to further the "Cody is screwed" feeling and then we get to the main event....

Overall a very solid Night 1. Didn't match last year's night 1 for emotion though with Rhea and KO/Sami.

Usos match was a big letdown but all the others delivered in some way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭ThePott

The stipulation was that tomorrow's match will be under Bloodline Rules if they win.

Which is essentially No DQ so anything goes. Rock can interrupt, as can anyone else as there are no rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Id imagine bloodline rules might also include something like no roster member can interfere on Cody's behalf ... Hence the rumours of glass shattering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Ah appreciate it the info. Sorry for the ignorance. Will tune in tomorrow night.

Hope ye all had a good wrestlemania day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

First half or even two thirds of that main event was a slog to get through. Very slow, very boring.... clearly trying to lean more on the occasion and getting a reaction out of the crowd with long stare downs, and that reaction just didn't come. Picked up towards the end and the last 10-15 minutes were great.

Thought Rock looked gassed as he and Seth went into the crowd but he recovered well. He still has the best punches in the game.

As an aside, as someone who only watches maybe 2 main events a year, I'm sure the story building is why Sami Zayn is a fan favourite but from what I saw it certainly isn't down to his in-ring performance. I think he's brutal 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know, I think Cody looking a bit terrible is stupid. If he wins, which he probably will now, it sets up the Rock v Roman for tribal chief but like, Roman let Rock do his finishers and they cheated the whole time.

Overall it took away Roman's legitimacy which half existed. They could handle it correctly but we'll see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Personally I loved that tag match, Rock was surprisingly involved too given his rustiness but he did pretty well overall. He sold the spear from Roman to perfection, definitely makes me think there'll be a receipt for that soon enough, if not tomorrow.

They've done a better job this year of splitting the two cards as they stacked night 1 with most of the interesting matches to make up for the fact that night two has the big ticket main event and Seth vs. Drew. The only problem is that most of tomorrow night's card feels skippable between the WHC presumably opening the show and Cody finishing it off.

In all honesty, it could've been an epic one-night event in another era, with the tag match opening the show. Money talks though, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tomorrow has the US title and the women's match which Bayley should win but has had the most build up. It's fairly stacked and less predictable other than Gunther's loss really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Roman's entire reign has been mired with cheating and interference tbh. Whatever legitimacy his reign has had is based on the entire idea that he and the Bloodline do whatever they need to in order to keep the title round his waste. Even the whole story of Night 2 is explicitly "Cody vs The Entire Bloodline".

Thought the main event was great, even if the ending was a foregone conclusion. Rock is in his element as the Final Boss character, and I really hope he sticks being a heel for the time being. Let Roman flip to be the face in the build for Roman vs Rock next year.

Thought the rest of the card was ok, but had flaws. Rhea vs Becky was good, and while I wanted a Becky win, I get why they kept Rhea looking strong, especially with other titles flipping elsewhere.

I love a cluster**** ladder match, but while I love the results (Truth and Miz deserve a moment, and as an Australian Survivor fan, I will always be a mark for Waller), the match itself felt very generic and by the numbers.

Getting the Kelce cameo in where they did was fine. Dom loses nothing in that regard, and it was a cool moment for the locals, and Americans. Shame he didn't bring his girlfriend though :P

Bit unsure about Gunther's reign ending like that. The brainbuster from the top was amazing and a strong enough move to be believable to end the match, but didn't like Sami winning after being killed for ages. BUT it gives Gunther a chance to move up the card now. The IC title was holding him back from his rightful place in the main event.

Women's trios match was fine too. Jade looks amazing, but still comes across so green in the ring imo, which is going to be a big issue quickly.

Overall, a fine Mania Night 1, but I have a feeling it won't be a massively memorable one long term. Felt like it was more built around setting the game pieces up into different positions for their next moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Seth not taking the pin is mad. Though it probably means Drew is winning, so the thinking must be Seth isn't losing twice.

Also, Cody ain't losing twice so whatever shenanigans happen tonight, Cody is winning.

I've a horrible feeling the Cody reign will be bland as fúck now. I think Rock's charisma has actually hurt Rhodes, which is unfortunate. But I hope I'm wrong.

Depends. They need to detach Cody from the whole Rock stuff for a while and let him build his own reign. There's a few opponents that can help with that, an extended feud with Orton could be brilliant given their history, a returning Rollins another option down the line, possibly even AJ and/or a heel Owens.

However they're going to have to have learned from mistakes before where they knew exactly how to get the faces to the top of the mountain, but not how to keep them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

New Mania logo for next year revealed

Night 2 Card…

Seth 'Freakin' Rollins (C) VS Drew McIntyre - Singles Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - CM Punk is special guest commentator

Iyo Sky (C) VS Bayley - Singles Match for the WWE Women's Championship

LA Knight VS AJ Styles - Singles Match

Logan Paul (C) VS Randy Orton VS Kevin Owens - Triple Threat Match for the WWE United States Championship

The Pride (Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits) VS The New Testament (Karrion Kross & AOP) - Philadelphia Street Fight

Roman Reigns (C) VS Cody Rhodes - Bloodline Rules Match for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I have a feeling on raw Zayn does an open challenge for the IC title or says he wants his first defence against gable, Zayn technically is still beat up from the match with Gunter which allows gable to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe a returning Sheamus who's wins it and completes the grand slam

There'll be a segment for HOF inductees and probably something else unscheduled to eat up time I'd imagine… I'd say it'll clock in around the same time as last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,910 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Whatever about Sami winning, the one I was happy for was Truth winning.

And someone tell Jade to do at least 2 moves before posing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Great time last night in the stadium, crowd in my section was chanting all night and big into most matches. I really underestimated the cold, it was absolutely freezing all night. Will be wrapping up much more tonight!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

those photos are amazing. Insanely jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does Gunther get a rematch, or is rematches only if the storyline requires?

I felt it was a flat ending to Gunther's reign ending imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thought Gunther should have won to be honest, and he should have gone on to do what the Warrior did and win the world title while being IC champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

I find the ads disrespectful of the rasslers but if I were Snickers I'd not be pleased that no-one can tell the brand is sponsoring the whole show. Next step, branded ring gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

The Philly crowd booing Cody was fairly disappointing. Its hard to manufacture a true baby face and Rock being so entertaining with a Philly Crowd, and Cody beating all the odds...seems like they won't be forgiving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Just a weird Wrestlemania all round so far.

I found the matches very uninteresting; they seemed rushed and a lot of botches / missed spots. Michael Cole was very annoying all night and stumbling over his words. Maybe Vince in his ear the last few decades wasn't such a bad thing. Trying to put over the Usos match as the "third time REAL brothers have faced off…". Jesus. At least attempt to protect kayfabe.

Sami / Gunther was the first match of the night with the right pacing / selling / drama. The main event was decent too but seemed all too predictable in the outcome.

Night 2 seems more about "Who's coming down to help Cody win" rather than last year's genuine "Who will actually win?". Cody taking the pin and also not appearing at all in the press conference tells all really. mod edit - betting odds removed

They look to be setting up for Rock vs Cody in Saudi or Summerslam. Roman will be sorely missed in the coming months. His mystique has led to sold-out arenas and huge matches that we just won't have if Cody is defending the belt every few weeks.

Post edited by Necro on

Advertisement