Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It would still be a dang sight more forensic evidence than they ever got against Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, for sure.

But in such a hypothetical situation, Alfie may be able to offer a plausible explanation for the presence of his DNA on Sophie's person, whereas Bailey, or Wolney or, say, Bruno, would find it much more difficult to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Indeed, especially if Sophie was wearing her night clothes at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

Of course the blood could also have been transferred by Shirley accidentally. She had no idea what she had just driven past at the gate. She only realised it was a body when she saw the naked shoulder with blood on it. Did she move some clothing to get a closer look? Her route back up to alert Alfie took her through the gate into Sophie's lawn and up around the back of Sophie's house past the back door. Did she try the the back door on her way past, as she says she had no idea it was Sophie at this stage.

(Maybe @bjsc has a better copy of this statement)

Here's a video of Shirley explaining how she found the body that morning. It's French and subtitles are bad, but you can work out what she is saying.

https://youtu.be/R2-n9bZ72g8?t=2344

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

At least they recovered some fingerprints depending on where they were found probably means that a major clean up wasn't done by the killer(s)?

This is very possible. And also, of course, we shouldn't forget that they may not have known that Sophie had been alone in the house; she usually brought a guest when she visited. You'd naturally want to warn her companion, if any.

Certainly the killer, seeing the car, may have wanted to check that there was nobody else in the house - a potential witness of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mackinac

Did Shirley or Alfie ever say they tried to open the back door?

I don’t know, but both said they did not realise it was Sophie until the Gardaí told them, I don't know if that was after Finbarr Helen identified the body. Alfie said, while waiting for the Gardaí, he went to Sophie's house to warn her, I don't know what that involved, But with her car parked up and no lights on in the house, you would imagine he would try the door.

You would certainly think so…did he say if he found the back door closed or open? Did he notice the "smear of blood" on it at that time? (Did it look fresh or dried???)

And were Alfie's fingerprints found on the door?

Mind you, he was a near neighbour who passed that way often…it wouldn't necessarily be incriminating if his prints were found - either on the door, or even in the house.

• Advertisement

In Shirley's statement above, she says Alfie pointed out to her there was a stain on the back door that appeared to be blood, so yes, he must have noticed it.

As to whether he found the back door open or closed, and whether his fingermarks were found on it, I don't know.

Post edited by chooseusername on

In the house! Sure they didn't get along she wouldn't have let him in at all, I would think, so his fingerprints inside would be amazing.

Still inclined to think the blood was left by the perpetrator shutting the door behind them after they returned (or collected) something incriminating from the house. Could be the door had been ajar so the only time they turned the handle was when they left and probably didn’t realise they had left a mark.

There are a number of curious aspects related to Alfie and Shirley's story:

Why didn't they hear anything?

Why didn't Alfie or Shirley check for a pulse?

Why didn't they call for an ambulance?

All very good questions!

We already know that it WAS possible to hear a loud noise from one house to the other - (since the time that Sophie complained about the noise from a party at Alfie's.)

So if they didn't hear a sound from her house, it implies that the row / assault took place down at the gate where the body was found. The gate that stood open.

As if Sophie heard or saw something or someone down at the gate and put on her boots to go down and take a look. Leaving her door open. Got into an argument ? with who, about what?

Apparently the state of the body was such that they both felt sure she was dead. So very obviously a murder and no accident.

OK, but you can't be certain someone is dead without checking for a pulse or breathing………and I believe Alfie said he didn't get closer that 20 feet from Sophie….

Yes; a sad and shocking omission. Though I understand their position (shock and horror etc) It still would have been the right thing to do. Either to confirm death, or maybe find the last trace of life. And also yield useful information on whether the body was cold, still warm, rigor set in or not — etc etc. Would have helped SO much in establishing the time of death!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure the local gardai and GP didn't check for a pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Deeec

Alfies house was an older house - It looks like it had no insulation and wooden, single glazing windows - the type that doesnt even keep the cold out let alone sound. I grew up in a house with similar and you would certainly hear noise outside. Of course possibly their hearing wasnt the best or they were sound sleepers.

If the commotion did start at the house than why didnt Sophie run towards her neighbours ( Alfies) house screaming. It was her only chance of getting to safety or perhaps scaring her attacker that they flee. This and the fact she had time to put on boots would indicate to me that she didnt flee in a hurry - she went down to the gate for a reason.

I find it very odd that both Alfie and Shirley didnt think straight away that the body could be Sophie. There was no other house in sight, they would have known Sophie was in residence because her car was there, they seen the light on the night before etc. Why didnt they think the body could be Sophie - that seems really odd. Not calling an ambulance makes me think they definitely knew she was dead although they say they didnt go near the body. First instinct for most people in that situation would be to call an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

curious as to what people here might have done had you come across this scene.

Unless completely obvious to me I would certainly have approached the body to check for signs of life- I’ve no idea was the face visible at a distance or not - in addition what suggested a crime scene vs an accident such as an encounter with an animal?
    Maybe I’m being naive here but my first thought would be concern for the human being and getting them medical attention if at all possible - I wouldn’t be thinking “this is a crime scene stay away “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was about to type a similar post but you've outlined exactly what I would have written.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

and BTW I’m not casting dispersions on anyone, just curious as to what people here think they might have done.

I’ve seen enough people pass away to know what “dead” looks like - but I think checking for signs of life or getting guidance from the ambulance service would be my first thought - at least I’d hope it would be if in that situation

I know the word 'murder' was used over the Garda radio until the operator advised against it, but was it used early on before the first Gardaí arrived at the scene?

@bjsc is an experienced forensics investigator, she is of the opinion that the block was already in situ and may not have been used as a weapon, but it was found resting on her clothes, so must have been moved or rolled onto the blue house-coat. Prof. Harbison suggested the block was taken from the pumphouse to be used for the final blows. It was found a bit away from Sophie's head, down by her left hip. There is an incline and it may have rolled, but would the killer have lifted the block after the final blow and put it that far away? Or would they have left it where it fell, and someone rolled the block away and then realised what they had come across?

Garda sketch of the scene with the bloody stone by the head and the block down by the left hip.

Post edited by chooseusername on

It's a bit out, should be straight across from other pillar.

Edited sketch above now.

You can see the green post box by the opposite pillar,

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jesuisjuste

What's strange for me is that I would imagine it is unlikely that Sophie would have died instantly, like within seconds of the block. I know it can happen that people can and do die instantly with head trauma, but in this case I'm not sure. @bjsc posted some other examples of people surviving similar events, and many people survived multiple gunshots to the face, or trying to shoot themselves with shotguns etc.

So in this case, how were they to "know" that the perpetrator didn't just jump behind one of the bushes etc. seconds before, and leave Sophie lying there, there is no way they could know that at the time. A perpetrator being there is a reason one may run away of course (fair enough imo), but once Alfie got there, and looked around, how could he be sure she was dead and the perpetrator was long gone? It is evident that he couldn't be sure, there is no way he would be positive, unless he had "knowledge" she was dead.

So he either "knew" she was dead, or he was too scared to approach as the scene was that bad. I don't believe he was negligent. When calling in the emergency line, almost everyone would call for an ambulance I would think.

Personally I think I would be very nervous in that situation, but I probably would get close enough to check for breath, perhaps a pulse, but its hard to know.

I take your point “it’s hard to know” 100%-indeed, and I hope both you and I never do learn to “know”

This is very true. I confronted a burglar trying to break in to my house once. I was lucky and they ran away but it could have turned out much worse for me, never in my life would I have thought I would have done such a thing and I suppose it just goes to show you don’t know how you act until you’re in such a situation.

@bjsc, going back to this, if I may. He was the local 'peeping Tom' with no alibi for that night, is there any statements from him in your files? Unlikely I suppose if they steered the inquiry away from Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭bjsc

Actually I do have his statement!!!! I'll dig it out.

Advertisement