Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raf75

Same problems with :

https://shop.supervalu.ie/

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/

Looks like IP is blocked by cloudera

so no online shopping. Anyone has similar problems?

Ofcourse rise ticket with starlink support. I hope it will be solved quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

Speedtest is showing Irish servers for me, but when paying for something online it's showing Ukrainian tax instead of Irish VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Will tell you if it's back reporting Ireland or not. I'm using my backup 4g modem for TV this evening. Was considering cancelling it last month as Starlink has been so reliable up to now! Had it since August 21 and it's been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I wondered why my VPN auto-connected to Ukraine earlier. I had to manually select Ireland.

I've just disconnected it … whatismyip tells me I'm in Mayo (I'm not, but at least it's Ireland) … Speedtest is trying OmegaTelecom in Kyiv … ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like other longtime users, this is the first weird tech issue with the service.

If it's not DNS (it's always DNS), then it's possibly BGP hijacking.

When I do this on my PC it tells me SpaceX Dublin and speedtest uses Irish servers but speedtest on my phone goes to Kyiv.

Also https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and https://www.whatismyip.com/ give different results, the first Dublin, the second Kyiv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Raf75

Seems to be fixed now . I am 'back' to Ireland from long trip to Kiev :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

I wouldn't have minded but our work use their own VPN and are quite security fussy. I expect it they seen I was connected from eastern Europe might throw up a flag or two

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I don't check speeds on Starlink that often, but I decided to check it today given all of the IP issues in recent days. I'm now seeing upload speeds which are a lot faster than I used to see (around 18Mbps). Maybe it has been slowly improving in the background and I'm only now seeing it?

Best I've got is around 25 but generally under 20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Best up speed I've got is 51.24Mbps which just shows its possible but generally get around 20-25Mbps.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

I just ran three speedtests in a row. The first one briefly blew past 300Mbps, before settling back. All of them have slightly better upload speed than I had previously experienced.

I have had a few over 300Mbps and had one over 400Mbps recently although it was at 3am.

I'm just coming up on one year with Starlink and upload speeds 12 months ago were definitely in the low/mid teens at that stage, so it seems that there has been gradual improvement taking place, where mid to late 20's seems to be normal now.

It's amazing that when something "just works", it fades into the background and you almost forget about it. I can't remember when I had a complaint at home about "the broadband not working"!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭longrunn

I just got Starlink because the service with Imagine had gone to crap and Imagine upped their price so it's more expensive than Starlink now. I was hoping to hold out until NBI is in my area but had to move as it was impossible to continue with zoom/teams calls on Imagine. However, today is my first proper day working on Starlink and one of my calls starting freezing and breaking up. I had thought Starlink would be the end of that… Can anyone say if that's the norm?

First thing to do is check with the starlink app on your phone for any outages and obstructions.

And if, after following @The Continental Op's on-the-ball recommendation, the app shows you everything is OK, then check whether your WiFi signal is OK.

I'm using Starlink for over two years now and have never had a problem with Zoom, Teams, Meet or Webex at any time of day or night. My set-up is fully wired, so I don't rely on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

have starlink a year. No problems with zoom teams webex. Have a problem with my companies VPN. My wired setup doesn’t like it if I go wireless then there is no problem. It’s my setup more than starlink though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TWIreland

can you confirm if additional mounts and Ethernet adapters and cables can be bought separately from another source or can they be purchased separately from starlink. Looking to get starlink roam for 59 a month and only move the starlink dish. Is there any difference between the standard and refurb? A new one has better tech I presume?

Your possibly mad to buy mounts from Starlink because there are much cheaper options. The version that is available as a refurb is the same as the one you purchase the V2. I don' think you can get the older V1 versions of Dishy anymore. In the US they are onto Dishy V3 but its not here yet.

Cables for the V2 are available in various lengths from Starlink think you get a 50ft one with Dishy as standard.

Check https://shop.starlink.com/ for whats available.

If you check Amazon you'll see you can get cables etc but the ethernet adapter is cheaper direct from starlink.

Thank you and the Ethernet adapator can be bought elsewhere too I guess? Appreciate the information I’ll get researching.

• Advertisement

As I've just pointed out in my edit above Amazon have the ethernet adaptor but its cheaper direct from Starlink. Cables seem to be cheaper on Amazo but you might end up with quality issues. There are also a few PoA adaptors available so you can do away with the main Starlink WiFi box but so far reviews don't seem very favorable.

Thanks for taking the time. Appreciate the the help.

Have any of you guys setup with a deco mesh network? How have you found it and which model did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Yes deco m5, works perfect with Starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've been running my Starlink setup for over a year with a mixed system (three Deco M9 and one M5). My Sky primary and secondary boxes run over this network too. I have the ethernet adaptor running to a tp-link network switch connected to the first M9 Deco and the Sky box. After that, each Deco runs via a mesh network. The house has hollowcore concrete floor slabs, so it took a while to find the "sweet spot" for each of the deco units to get good overall house coverage.

OK so I've been a bad boy ;-) Just got a Starlink support request that links to me torrenting something with a Paramount copyright.

So couple of questions as a result.

Anyone else had this? Interested if Starlink actively do anything. The report request was just opened then closed by Starlink.

Then next obvious question can anyone recommend a good VPN to use on Starlink? Just about to sign up with NordVPN if no one has any better ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thats very interesting. Been on SL 8 months now using IPTV and never got a message like that. Any time I download any torrent I put on a VPN.

I'm using Private Internet Access and they always have large discount codes on topcashback.co.uk. I think there is a recent thread on boards about it but I can't find it now.

• Advertisement

Seemed worth mentioning as its the sort of thing that people don't always shout about. Tossing up between NordVPN and PIA as we speak but PIA seems the better deal.

OK went for PIA €51.74 for 3 years and 3 months.

Advertisement