Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2024 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No one goes out to throw these games. The situation probably had a bearing on the levels of energy put into fight back from Limerick but I doubt they actively said "let's lose". Even playing a 5 a side tap around you dread losing once the game starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

im not sure Tipp people fully realise what a gifted team they had from 2010-2019... unfortunately for Tipp i dont think the replacements are of the same quality as the Mahers.. Callanan.. noel mcgrath etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

League final is April 6th, 1st round of Munster is April 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yeah its nonsense , all teams in this weeks semi finals have made serious adjustments to their sides each team bar kilkenny have 5 or 6 players to come back into their sides for championship , limerick were in a heavy block of training before yesterday but could have been last year too had they been full strength like last year it might not have been noticed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

I agree, that would never be said to players, and no one sets out to lose. The throwing of games is often bandied about this time of year though. Players and teams will have their goals, and if winning a certain game is a side task rather than the main goal, energy levels, fight or whatever you want to call it can reflect that. Something teams have to be careful with too though

Lots of people including myself made the same mistake.

Everyone at the match yesterday seemed to think we would have had Clare 2 weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe it is as simple as Tipp free-taking being bad.

If they had landed a few more, maybe it would be been an exciting finale.

It looked like Clare were better in general. Tipp were fighting very hard for everything whereas I think Clare might have had another gear.

Kilkenny and Clare definitely deserve to be in the final. Best teams on form and came out of the harder side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Its still not an ideal amount of time I reckon especially with limerick now focused in on them for 4 weeks.

Thats why the Tipp performance was so disappointing. They would have had 3 weeks to championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Back to this comment for me

Munster Championship will be brutal for Tipp

They start against a Limerick who I think will need a win after losing in Clare which is tough. But end against a Clare probably already through. Home to Cork is the big one and it really feels 50/50 on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Grats

Amusing, the two teams that lost are in heavy training! You have to wonder, why would Clare and Kilkenny not be at the same stage of training as the two losers! There was no such comments when Limetick won the semi and final last year. I guess time will tell.

The primary target for Limerick was 1A next year which they could achieve by winning their first 3 games (Antrim, Westmeath, Dublin) so by the time they met the stronger teams the primary target was met.

Clare and Kilkenny assumed they would be in a dog fight with Wexford, Cork and Waterford in the group so no such luxury. Also oth have more to gain from victory than Limerick.

I don't think anyone is really blaming training on Tipp's performance. Certainly haven't seen much mention of it.

The primary target for all the teams was division 1A status next year. Limerick werent alone in that regard. Which or whether, why would the two winners be any more advanced in their training, I wonder. No such talk last year when Limerick sailed to the league title. I don't think any of the four teams are that advanced yet. Looking at the Limerick warmup yesterday they looked extremely sharp but were so hounded throughout the match they couldn't replicate it. No doubt they will up the ante in the coming months.

Post edited by Grats on

do people not forget last year , it was a masterclass in terms of getting it right at the right time . anyone would think they had a horse racing trainer or experienced owner on hand to offer advice

look at limerick v waterford in week one of the munster vers limerick v kilkenny in the all ireland final , what yesterday shows us is limerick have started their last round of heavy stuff a few weeks earlier this year

And why would that be? And when did Clare and Kilkenny do their heavy training? I follow Kilkenny closely and I couldn't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Limerick have to go to Ennis in 4 weeks while Kilkenny will be at home to Antrim at the same time. Limerick struggle in Ennis at the best of times and I’d say kiely hasn’t beaten them in cusack park as senior manager in either league or championship. Anyway every team has their own agendas, training plans etc.

i feel they left it too late last year and nearly got caught in munster , this year they will make no mistake in the qualification it wont go down to their last game against waterford , like it did against cork last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You don't know why teams would have different training schedules to peak at different times? Best of luck against the mighty Antrim, Carlow, and Dublin. I'm sure ye'll be flat out.

• Advertisement

God more of your s####. I'm surprised you'd be in the mood for more of it after today. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You must have read it if you replied :) Mwah.

Limerick were missing half their defense and two more, Finn & Hannon, were back after nearly a year out of the game... No Kyle Hayes, Mike Casey, Dan Morrissey, or Darragh O'Donovan. Bit early for 'hounded', isn't it? Be a long year yet...

But of course ye have no game until the all-ireland series, ye've it all figured out over there. No competitive inter county football, no competitive inter county hurling until the last month of the competition. Great men altogether. Must be great playing games nobody goes to... what is it again? The Belinda O'Kelly cup? I'm only messing with you, pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wouldn't be getting carried away at the results at the weekend, the pinch of salt element that was always a small bit there for the league is definitely there since the provincial round robin was introduced in 2018 and certainly applies to games after which promotion/relegation matters are decided, if Kilkenny and Clare were the 2 shipping comprehensive defeats I'd say the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kilkenny have some advantage being in Leinster. It's not even a question about them finishing in the top 3 every year. Not alone that but they ll have at least one game in Croke Park before meeting any Munster competition.

Limerick are 'all in' for the All Ireland and wouldn't risk a league final. I'd say Kiely and Kinnerk have Limerick just where they want them for 4 weeks.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement