Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Try https://switchto.energia.ie/MyPlanDetails or sign via www.powertoswitch.ie or www.switcher.ie or www.bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭bren2001

It’s utterly pointless reading the low energy users here. We don’t know how many people they live with. The size of their dwelling. How often they are in it. If they WFH. The heating etc.

Plugging out your devices at night has very little effect on your overall bill. The current draw to keep things on standby can effectively be ignored. It’s not why their usage is low. If they are doing that, they are likely doing a lot of other things to keep their usage low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

This is going off topic but I must respond to your post. Did you read my post? How is it pointless?

Please note, I declared I heated with Gas. I cook with electric. The purpose of my initial post was to state the lowest unit rate (BWG) is not necessarily the cheapest deal. Thats all. Someone then asked me how it's so low.

I am not trying to do comparisons with others. Thats just my use, for my needs and lifestyle.

There are two people at home, sometimes three. Two bed apt. My usage would not be any less with one person and possibly marginally more with three. My use went up to 1250 with 5 day WFH. I now WFH 3 days and use dropped to 1100kw.

For the BWG rate, the standing charge is almost €100 more than BG. That difference will buy a lot of electricity (approx 350kw at .28c) For very low users it's not the cheapest, but is a great deal of you are a high one.

The cheapest for me is actually Airtricity with a big unit rate but €200 welcome bonus. Thats real savings to me, but not everyone.

From my perspective, its possible for practically everyone, no matter what their circumstances or use, to reduce energy use on core energy (light/laundry/entertainment devices (i.e. not leaving TV on if not watching it) and save money in the process.

Many people just focus on its cost, and obviously want to get it cheaper. Some overlook real savings also available to them in terms of how they use energy.

I never disagreed with your statement that the BWG plan isn’t the cheapest for everyone. Of course it’s not. The high standing charge has a bigger impact.

Comparing energy usage is **** pointless. There are too many variables. Turning off your washing machine at night isn’t the reason. It’s not a “real saving”, it’s negligible and pretty much irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Again, I was not comparing. Where do you get that from? My post was about getting the best deal for my use.

I never said turning off a washing machine at night is a panacea for savings. All appliances and devices not in use will aggregate up to real savings. As will being smart as to how they are used

For example

I know people that wash one or two small items at a time for no reason. Thats avoidable. As is boiling a full kettle for one cup of tea etc.

I am not advocating no waste, just reducing it.

I also didn’t reply to your first post. I actually responded to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

I did this last year, probably on the advice of this thread, and just looked back on the email... Additional part in the email I received, re changing provider, not sure if/how its relevant -

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm your MPRN is no longer included in our current meter replacement plan. ESB Networks will inform your electricity supply company of your preference. If you change your supplier, please note you will need to renew your objection with your new Supplier...

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Can confirm. I switched to flogas and almost immediately got a letter saying I would be 'upgraded' to a smart meter. ESB said you have to redo opt out it every time you move suppliers. Though I suspect TLI will never find me anyway since ESB have the wrong eircode 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭reggie3434

What’s wrong with thr smart meters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

For the past while the rates have not been competitive. Higher than non active smart meter rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

depends on your needs they suit some folks and don't suit others, the only thing everyone needs to be aware of is when you move to smart meter tariffs you can't go back, something i was not aware of at the time but we live and learn

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

certainly not with EI. Rate is identical whether smart 24hr or non smart 24hr. Further options with smart plans for timed rates. If you can change use patterns on heavy use items, a smart plan with off peak rates is a no brainer.

Smart meters are also an awful lot more accurate. The analogue meters are prone to errors after just a couple of years and those with analogue day night should be double checking the timeclock every 12 months as they can go off kilter quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

Tell people in the UK that smart meters are reliable.They have a lot more experience across da water

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

There would be nothin wrong with a deactivated smart meter as long as it stayed that way but a lot of people have had their meters activated by new supplier without request. For me with heatpump the cheapest smart plan would cost me hundreds of euros extra per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Only 3 providers offering 24hr smart meter rates. Still don't understand why all don't offer same as EI identical 24hr plans. I would have no issue with smart meters if they did.

I suggest you update your knowledge.

A small number of first generation meters were installed in the UK and there was an issue with led bulbs.

No first generation meters were ever installed in Ireland and frequent testing on sample lots show absolute accuracy.

It's like the narrative that banks lose money on tracker mortgages. They did for about 3 months in 2010 before the EU intervention.

Yet 14 years later some people STILL think banks will do a deal on an EXTREMELY PROFITABLE tracker mortgage. All because of a few news headlines 14 years ago as they have not updated their knowledge of the subject.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A modern TV will use 0.5w in standby mode, as required by EU regulations. Turning it off is pointless and can lead to damage to the TV.

Having said that there are things you can do to reduce usage. I switched from an old electricity guzzling Plasma TV to a new larger, but much more energy efficient OLED and it saved enough electricity to pay for the expensive TV!

Of course actually putting the TV into standby and not leaving the kids have it on all day makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭bonjurkes

I have a new smart meter in a new house, never used before, I have no provider. I am trying to stay on non-smart 24 hour tariffs, can I just sign up to BWG affinity deal? Now I am scared that some providers switched their users to smart tariffs even they applied for non smart tariffs.

Edit: If I try to switch to BWG Affinity deal, the website asks for day and night meter readings. Considering it is a smart meter and it will have 3 separate readings, how am I supposed to provide these readings? Just combine day + peak together and submit it as day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just give the main reading T3 I think it is, it's the default reading you'll see when looking at the meter without touching anything, leave the night box empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any decent electricity only deals where you don't have to pay by dd? Prefer to pay using a credit card but a lot of them charge a security deposit if opting out of dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If youre apply for the standard 24 hr tarriff you should only have to provide one reading. On my meter that reading is displayed after I press the button left of the display once.

Chasing payment costs money, so they charge handsomely for non dd accounts.

Why you would opt out is puzzling as you have the excellent sepa dd payments protection

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Sign up for direct debit but pay in advance of the billing date so you are always in credit and no direct debit comes out

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

How do people determine the end date of their contract? I signed up dual fuel with SSE on the 23rd, welcome email received on this date but my first electricity bill is from the 27th and gas from 25th. If switching to another dual fuel contract would you have to sign up from the latest of the dates, i.e. on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

for the BWG Affinity day/night tariff, is the rural Standing Charge really 422?! that's fairly outrageous rip off considering there's no physical reading of a smart meter!... using energypal.ie and it's looking like Energia's Smart Drive rural with 24 export CEG, 7.54c EV rate, and 300 SC looks best at the moment (yep, I do realise that once on smart tariff there's no reverting!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Yep its ridiculously high, the highest of all the flogas bwg standing charges, but with the new reduced rates it's still saving me a lot annually overall. I'm a high user though, so wouldn't be as attractive for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

I was referring to the meters grade installed here but that doesn't the fact that people on boards have reported faults-those who post on boards. People in the UK are still to this day receiving estimated bills from suppliers.You must have had a bank issue.

Advertisement