Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

What does that mean a smart meter is activated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I took this offer lasr April can i sign up again with this offer in April or do i have to be a new cuystomer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭bren2001

Anyone yet to receive their Gas welcome pack? Renewed at the start of the month, still nothing from them with regards Gas. I got my electricity pack and final bill weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In the top right corner of your bill it will show your meter status, MCC 01 is standard 24hr i.e. unactivated, MCC 12 means the meter has been activated. You can still avail of smart 24hr plans with other providers with an activated meter but Flogas don't do one it's smart plan only on an activated meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

I am on smart meter contract already with flogas and I signed up online for the BWG deal. I haven't heard nothing from them since last week. They said you would receive information within two working days.

What can I do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

We’d fixed our electricity for 12 months with Energia. At the time being able to grab a fixed rate was HUGELY important. It ended late 2023.

Got the BWG deal from Flogas for a Day/Night fixed rate.

Now Energia through combination of backdated discount plus rate reduction will effectively match the BWG offer, except it will be variable.

Both are fully renewable, which is important to us.

So, right now is it better to fix for 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

For me being on a fixed rate is personal choice if you prefer to budget that way, once you have a cheap rate either option is okay as prices may drop further for you with Energia, I know the March reduction just kicked in but with yuno shouting loudest with reductions constantly others will have to follow suit

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭bren2001

In the current climate and all things being equal, I would have thought variable is better. Unless there is a further escalation with Russia soon, rates are more likely to fall than increase imo.

Even if next winter is very cold and there is a huge demand for Gas, your new contract would be up anyway by the time the increases are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can change out of the contract for 50 euro if there is better elsewhere at least. For the next few months I think BWG will probably be the best we will see. I worked out that my last bill would have been 45 cheaper on this tariff with another 10 less due to reduced standing charge so I think it's worth switching for what I can get now even if I go elsewhere later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No welcome pack at all for me. I rang up and they said I'm definitely on the correct plan though so not to worry about it. Once the bill changes I think we are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I didn't get any welcome pack after I renewed with Flogas. My new electric and gas bills had the new lower rates on them so all is good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Hi all.

I currently have a day/night meter, and looking at my usage over the last year with Airtricity, I used 5494KwH day units and 2522KwH night.

Looking at the Fixed vs Smart offer for BWG, it looks like the difference between both plans is fairly negligible for me.

Is there any advantage of switching to the Smart meter, or am I as well off staying with the day/night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Stay

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Actually, I see the fixed plan has a rate for microgeneration of 0.2. I assume this means if I'm supplying energy to the grid, I'll get that rate?

I don't see why rate listed with the smart meter. Not sure if that means I can't supply to the grid.

I have solar panels, but haven't the inverter fitted. I'll be doing that over the summer.

Surely they should have something sent to me to tell me I'm on the new plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

You'd think. I got my first bill and my welcome email the same week

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

I have just fitted Pvs to my house with No Battery and Old Meter still in use for the house.

As I can't accurately get readings for the Esb to sell back, I believe they average the amount I have supplied to the grid.

What's the best way to go with my supplier to sell back to the grid,is a fixed rate the way my supplier is Airtrcity.

Any help appreciated thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently, your old meter will be running backwards when exporting.

This is worth far more to you than any feed-in tarrif.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Thanks,but what will I do,is it just fix to lowest possible unit with Airtrcity at d moment..and what happens with units sold to grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

As it was so cold yesterday - I plugged in the 2000 watt electric heater for the day.

As I am monitoring my daily usage for 30 days to get a feel for what i am using daily - definitely noticed the daily jump in my usage by 3 times.

Anyone have any thoughts on recommendations of a plug in heater ( Oil filled or Fan etc) .... am looking at changing the ugly (and cheap) thing I have.

Now that I know the cost of a unit - I will be able to monitor the cost of plugging in these heaters. =2.000 x €0.26 per unit = €0.455¢ and hour over 8 hours = €4.16 a day. Am I right on my calcs?? What if I only put the heat control up half way - will my cost be €2.08?

As you can see - am really getting my teeth into this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'll get deemed export which is determined by the amount of panels you have. Even if your house uses every kw produced by your array you still get deemed export. Don't be surprised if you're offered a smart meter very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Just don't go with BG, they are refusing to give me deemed export as I have an old meter that is rolling backwards when days are good.

They even refused for 6 months to take meter readings from me and estimated my usage, which was wildly inaccurate.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have been with electric Ireland since I moved into my house 30 years ago, Renewal of contract due in a few weeks, they are only offering me 18% discount to stay whereas new customers get I think 24% ?

Anyhow, 18% brings me to 29.38c per unit, vat and discount included

Flo Gas are 25.59 , almost 4c less and my annual average is almost 5100 Kw.

Anything better out there?

I am on standard 24hour plan. I think for now I would prefer to stay on that. Unless I can be persuaded to change.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You need to take their standing charges into account when doing your calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Just checked there
    • I am out of contract in 2/4/24

EI = €250.77

Flo Gas = €257.38

Both inc. vat

Advertisement