Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TDs running away from Varadkar whilst blaming the voters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes it's disgusting behaviour. It reminds me of those videos, that were especially common in the USA during the Pandemic, where angry middle aged people were roaring abuse at young staff in supermarkets because they had been requested to wear a mask.

Somewhere along the line, "freedom of speech" has been conflated, by some people, with freedom to act like a massive child when you face the smallest amount of pushback or don't get exactly what you want.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well with today's news, I think I'd rank the potential replacements in the order of:

1. Donohue. By far the best pick for me, excellent at his current and previous brief, no real baggage. Whether or not he'll want it or they'll pick him is anyone's guess.
    2. Coveney. Very good at foreign affairs, has the profile for it. A bit more baggage than Donohue.
    3. Harris. Has been sidelined in this government, lower profile now, didn't do great at Health.
    4. McEntee. Would be a really bad choice I think, less than stellar at Justice, I think she would really struggle to turn their fortunes around.

The FG electoral college gives massive weighting to the members of the Oireachtas so they'll likely be the ones to swing it. The thing is that quite a lot of them are already retiring. They may actually vote for the long-term health of the party rather than who will save them their seat.

It should be a pretty open race. I'm sure the horse-trading is well underway already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Democracy doesn't include stalking, harassment, death threats, burning out cars, throwing shut...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Donohue is the only competent person but thought he was heading to EU?

Heather was beaming during the speech... 😐

• Advertisement

That victim blaming. Sorry it isn't OK that TDs get death threats, stalked, harassed, families threatened, families screamed at, threats to stamp on their heads. No matter much you claim that's acceptable. It isn't.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Car burned out

Cllr sent pictures of erect Penis

Presidents head threatened to be stamped on

Sending continuous text messages harassing

Death threats

Screaming abuse at family inside family home

That's just a few examples.

Terry Pratchet

Heather Humphreys being mentioned also though I'm not sure she is a strong contender.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You seem to be content to work where you face abuse and threats (& acts) of violence. Most normal people would not be happy to work in those conditions.

Nonetheless you are normalising violence and then blaming the government for it - maybe you can provide stats for the crime that is worse now and how that can somehow justify abuse of publicly elected officials

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I believe it was the IMF one that he didn't get as the current incumbent is running for a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Those descriptions are clear examples of abuse but there's another whole area where the public vehemently disagree with elected officials online and/or in person. Where they are heckled in public, they don't like that either and call this abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

She was director of elections for the referendums so I can't imagine she'll get it.

I don't see Paschal running for it. He'd be my first choice. It's probably Simon Harris time.

I dunno. I think a lot of that is really a case by case basis. I mean low heckling is in my view not a big issue but if it goes beyond that it is an issue.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Did you move to another company where you were able to continue receiving violent abuse or does your new employer not tolerate that kind of behaviour towards its staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Imagine having to listen to her accent more often, that should rule her out immediately

Changed industry.

Same stuff still happens in that industry. Its common when your dealing face to face with the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Downlinz

We've had enough years of posh south dublin accents, maybe it's time for a different voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Where was the personal insult in that post? Or am I reading the wrong post.

Point out the hatred filled sentences or words in your quoted post please.

As mod of this forum, I edited the OP because it was against the rules

This is not an English comprehension forum. If you are unable to see what is being referred to then head over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While I'd draw the line at violence and/or abusive pics, etc, directed at politicians, I think the least they can expect for a poor performance is a bit of anger or invective thrown their way. They may consider that to be "toxic", but there's many a person living with the results of "toxic" decision making that politicians have left the country with, and they're bound to be angry.

FG were installed because they promised to fix the fuck up that FF left the country in, and a decade and a bit down the road we're back to pre-2008 levels of teetering on the abyss of another crash. Our farcical housing situation, alone, would invite some really harsh criticism, and when coupled with other crises, the electorate have a right to be angry at the people/parties that are at the root cause of them. If your sitting at home looking at your 40 year old son/daughter living in their childhood bedroom because they can't, and probably never will, afford their own place, it's going to make you angry. If you're wondering whether your sick mother will get a hospital place before her illness becomes much worse, it'll make you hostile to those in power. If your wage packet barely covers your cost of living, you not going to look kindly on those in government when they're financially secure and head off into the sunset with generous pensions after making a mess of things. When you make a choice not to have a child because of affordability reasons, it makes you wonder why things have gotten so out of hand that such a thing has become a reality.

People are also frustrated because we now live in a boom and bust faux economy, where only the wealthy can weather the inevitable storm of recession with any kind of comfort. Everyone else gets shafted in some way. And our immediate choices of political custodians are pretty much wedded to this type of "economics". FF and FG are indistinguishable in terms of where they stand on most things, so most people's "choice" comes down to a tweedle dum/tweedle dee style merry-go-round and folk are sick of it.

Frankly, it's no wonder that people are angry at the people who are put in charge when they screw things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

No need to get smart. I see no abuse in the post. Criticism yeah. Didn’t see personal abuse. Unless it was edited too. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Josepha Madigan joins the runners now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I expect Varadkar, Coveney, Paschal, Ring, and Durkan not to run which bring it up to 16. Half their incumbents or so. Insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Combined with nobody opposing Harris it does make me wonder how many of them are focused on their exit strategy rather than the party future.

Advertisement