Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TDs running away from Varadkar whilst blaming the voters

Options
  • 19-03-2024 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

Ciaran Cannon is jumping off the FG ship as he blames the voters for "toxicity in politics" and certainly not his party leader for his utter incompetence in leading his party. Cannon is the tenth Fine Gael TD running away from the electorate and blaming them for his decision with rumours of more to follow. He's also very eager to tell any mainstream media today that will listen to him that it's the fault of the voters for not treating him with enough respect and not his party ignoring the wishes of the people of Ireland on vital issues like housing, immigration, lack of a health service, improper policing services, carbon taxes, etc....

Good riddance.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0319/1438665-ciaran-cannon-fine-gael/

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Cannon is going to lose his seat in Galway East and he knows it. So rather than face the voters and let them judge him and FG on his track record over the past five years . . . he runs away and blames them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Great post.

They are afraid of “mr liberal” and oh so very popular (ha!!) Varadkar but instead of challenging him they run like scalded cats.

And like the bold child, throw the toys out of the pram and whinge and blame everyone else.

Good riddance to Cannon and his ilk.

No loss to Irish politics, freeloaders out for themselves.

They know their time is up when they face the electorate so in cowardly, sleeveen fashion they slink off into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I understand Hurling on the Ditch is being introduced as an Olympic sport.

Guaranteed gold for the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If he knows he's going to lose, then isn't it good that he does step aside and let someone else have a shot for the party?

• Advertisement

Well maybe that's the reason why he's doing it . . . yet his anger is directed at the voters who supported him in the past and not his party leader. Such an undignified way to go. Also as a sitting TD he is more likely to have a much higher profile than any replacement (who won't win either).

The like of Ciaran Cannon wants to reprimand and “put manners” on the electorate for raising legitimate concerns that politicians like him are ignoring or abjectly failing on.

It is a case of “you there, little people - shut your mouths and do what your betters tell you!”

Off with him and his ilk.

No loss - quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Rubbish. East Galway FG seat is one the safest in the country. You just have an obsession with FG and blame them for everything that is going on in society and with your own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

I can’t wait to see all the quality candidates running for the next Dáil, seems like it’s easy to do according to all the keyboard warriors across various fora!

Considering your "leader" could only get elected on the 5th count and brought in no running mate I would argue that few seats are safe for FG. Varadkar should call an election for June with all these "safe" FG seats?. . . But he won't - He'll wait until next February in order to scrounge more money out of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you please show us where exactly he blamed his voters?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The count he was elected on is meaningless when it comes to pr-stv. The constituency he's in is unlikely to elect 2 FG TDs regardless of who runs there...

It's not meaningless. The taoiseach is always elected on the first count. Bertie Ahern brought in Cyprian Brady as his running mate even though Brady only got 939 first preference votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

His seat is 100% toast. Very ineffective. Has he achieved anything of note? I am Galway West but I haven't heard good things about him in Galway East.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

He's blaming the "toxicity" in politics as a factor in him leaving. There is no doubt that he has faced personal abuse from voters for the actions of his party leadership which he supports. Rather than blame voters Cannon should stand at the next election and face the voters

Rather than blame boters Cannon should stand at the next election and face the voters

I'll ask you again, can you tell us when and how he blamed his voters?

"We just ask to be treated with the same civility and respect as anyone else doing their job."

"what we are experiencing right now goes far beyond that and can be deeply damaging to our wellbeing. At times it feels like it's open season on you and your family."

Politicians get abuse from a tiny section of voters. It's part of the territory. And I'm sure, given FG's track record in government, Cannon has received more than his fair share. The vast majority of voters may despise politicians who work against their interest but they are polite enough to treat them with dignity and respect and just not vote for them. Yet Cannon is giving this as a primary reason for him leaving politics and not other factors like the fact that he's likely to lose his seat and even if he does win it it's unlikely he'll ever hold a ministerial post again.

Politicians get abuse from a tiny section of voters. It's part of the territory.

So you think politicians should receive abuse?

Canon also referred to his family getting abuse - do you condone this also?

Anyone who thinks abusing a person doing their job, no matter what party they are from, is a disgrace.

People shouldn't abuse anyone. It doesn't achieve anything. And guess what?. . . 99% of people don't abuse politicians. But Cannon wants you to believe this is not the case rather than the fact that he's going to lose his seat being the main reason why he's quitting. This is disingenuous to say the least.

I'll also add that the role has become more toxic with idiots who have discovered the internet now thinking that their anonymity gives them the right to abuse their elected reps.

Canon is not representing my constituency but I'm aware of his work over the years. I wouldn't be daft enough to call him a coward. If you don't like his party's policies then don't vote for them. If you have a problem with how the economy or anything else is doing then don't vote for them.

However, you do not have the right to post your own cowardly abuse towards them. You have not stood for office (I assume). You have not been elected into our Parliament. You have not done anything, to my knowledge, to help the people of Ireland. So what exactly do you believe gives you the right to abuse someone who has achieved that role?

Obviously, if I'm mistaken, please feel free to tell us your name, location and what exactly you have done to help the people of Ireland.

• Advertisement

You've abused him in your own thread (which I think is also against the Politics forum charter (I'll check shortly)) so why do you then try and brand him to be a liar?

Do you believe it is right for someone to abuse Cannon because they disagree with his TD role?

Do you believe it is right for someone to abuse his family simply because of his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

He's the 10th Fine Gael TD that's announced they won't be running in the next election, don't bother trying to spin it, they know themselves what's happening.

What do you think I meant when I stated "People shouldn't abuse anyone"? Did that go over your head? Nice try trying to muddy the waters.

I'm not trying to muddy the waters. I'm trying to get a straight answer from you because on the one hand you make the claim that "People shouldn't abuse anyone" in a thread you started where even the thread title is abusive.

Now, can you please answer my two simple questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Tbf OP has said numerous times in the thread that it’s not right for them to be abused - I know you think you have yourself a “gotcha” but jaysus let it go, several posts in a row saying the same thing

With regards to the OP, while I wouldn’t call Cannon a coward, it is clear that this is a rats jumping a sinking ship situation.

He’s only saying he’s leaving due to “toxicity” because he doesn’t want to say the actual reason (FG have completely failed the electorate in several spheres and he knows he’ll be annihilated).

There’s a line between legitimate criticism and abuse that shouldn’t be crossed - obviously that line would be subjective depending on the person and you’d more people wouldn’t be taking the former as the latter

The only thing of note I can recall about this guy is didn’t he have a bad bicycle accident at one stage?

I'm not answering your questions. You're clearly a FG supporter who has gone all cry baby.

It is not right for Cannon to blame the voters for his decision to leave. He should be thanking them for their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If I was a politician and being harassed to the level advocated by the OP and his fascist friends, I'd pack it in too.

Why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to that? There are lots of easier and safer ways to make money.

• Advertisement

I'm not a supporter of any particular party. What I do disagree with (and agree with Cannon on this) is that there is a new undercurrent of toxicity within Irish politics which appears to be driven by many on the right and who spend their time bitching about whatever they can yet offer nothing themselves by way of solutions.

Advertisement