Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TDs running away from Varadkar whilst blaming the voters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"I'm not a supporter of any particular party". . . . Sure you're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The government are actively looking at a November / October 2024 GE, ive some inside information on this from a very unusual but reliable source.

A giveaway budget, dig up some old and some new stories about SF, try and put some daylight between FG and FF, keep the greens within spitting distance and play nice with the usual independents and hopefully slip back into another confidence and supply arrangement.

The cynic conspiracy theorist would say that the government allowed the referendum be an opportunity for the electorate to cast a protest vote, and once that is out of their system they can have a proper vote to get back into power. Maybe even let them have a second protest vote in the summer before the big one where the turnout might be smaller because of all the voting that went on. But im no cynic.

The election will be early February 2025 as all of the Budget measures will have kicked in to payslips by late January. Did you notice what happened just six weeks ago at the end of January? They gave those on Welfare a January bonus just weeks after the Christmas bonus - free money. They'll do the same next year.

It's all FF/FG have got because they can't win on their track record unless there's some sort of ragball everyone-except-SF-has-a-go-at-being-taoiseach government put together afterwards (like 2020 quite frankly)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You can't expect people not to be pissed off, when these failures have had decades and outrageous sums of money to improve things, but can't he bothered it seems...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: OK, without wanting to make this sound like an "it's my ball and if I can't play..." post, I've previously warned you about your sub-par posts in this forum so before you post again, read the charter and abide by it!

Now in reply to the above post, I don't follow any particular party and will vote for party members based on their parties policies at the time - I've made absolutely no secret of this on here over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Would you prefer failures ( in your opinion) to keep on looking to get re-elected?

Seems nobody’s happy whatever politicians do, which is a very weak position.

I'm not sure where you got your info on Cannon informer to create the thread but had you bothered to read the statement he himself put out, you would have read him thanking the people of Galway East...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Things have improved greatly in the last few decades, if you don't believe that then you weren't around in the 80s and 90s.

By literally any objective measure, this is one of the best countries in the world to live.

Any government that is so offensive to the OP, Gript and the Iona Institute is doing something right. The day these people are applauding our government is a dark day for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I think the OP is proving Ciaran Cannon's claim of "toxicity in politics".

Play the ball. Not the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I'm gonna say it, these muppets have no one to blame but themselves for the shite that's getting flung at them or the "toxicity" as he calls it.

What did they think was going to happen? They are stuffing every run down hotel and B&B with as many asylum seekers as want to come here. Who'd have actually thought even with using current DP centres, hotels, etc we'd now have tent cities in Dublin. Not to mention the dogs on the street know it's usually well connected owners who get the contracts.

They ignored every concern from communities, giving them the classic "you're racist" and then high tailing it from community meetings basically shouting tough shite it's happening whether ye like it or not. Busing them in at night when they couldn't get their way.

Then they've managed to go from bad to worse in the housing crisis. Not enough units, letting vulture funds buy up family properties and then icing on the cake was letting in mass amounts of people to essentially render all housing targets and solutions meaningless.

Pushing for ridiculously unaffordable retrofits that you're average homeowner can't afford, while at the same time in a ridiculous cost of living crisis banning fuels like turf, letting power companies rip people off and now the gobeens intend to put back up the fuel excise despite prices still going up across the board and they still intend to add their carbon increases too, which will also cause prices to go up yet again in a never ending cycle.

Leo the muppet with his the state shouldn't be responsible for care or education the other week.

Irish politicians have lost the run of themselves since the Celtic Tiger and recession. There was a time they feared voters. The last 10 to 15 years so many have come to think of the population as needing to be told what do not doing what the population wants them to do.

They have to be one of the most out of touch governments in living memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

People are entitled to be pissed off, when it descends into sustained abuse and threats is when the problem arises.

Anyone who says there hasn't been an increasing toxicity/viciousness to Irish politics in the past few years is either not paying attention or lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I predict there will be a good many more yet jumping ship. The next election will see a lot of Independents elected.

And won't be surprised if we see a good few from the FG & FF gene pools.

Mod: we have rules in this forum. There's to be no name calling on any politician. An immediate threadban will be issued for anyone else doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Politicians should welcome & receive feedback from their constituents, sometimes that feedback will be supportive and other times it will be hostile. They can't just choose to like one and moan about the other. Which is why we should be very wary when we hear of talk of clamping down on social media. We all see local public reps who love to post stuff about their activities and what great work they are doing and who have embraced social media to spread their message. Which is all find & dandy but if the same public use the same social media to be critical of their local public reps, they can hardly complain about negative feedback. If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then don't go in there in the first place or get out.

Here is John Major as UK Prime Minister getting vociferous, some might call it, abuse and also getting pelted with eggs as he went on a walkabout in Luton on launch of the 1992 UK general election.

Yet the FG cry babies on here. . . always ready to protect the establishment and to hell with free speech.

Mod: a number of off-topic and one liner posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The citizens are fed up being bullied and mistreated by the politicians, the same politicians and system that we fund, to put US and OUR health and wellbeing first in our country.

We are supposed to be the priority, it increasingly feels like we no longer are. In fact to some we are not…and some politicians they’ve communicated that.

If our thoughts in contrast are communicated to politicians and they dismiss those concerns… it’s pretty naive of them to expect citizens just to say.. “ ok, fair enough.” No, We become more vocal, more insistent, more determined, less polite and less inclined to take it lying down….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

i dont know that its toxicity in politics as much as TDs can no longer get away with promising the sun moon and stars and doing nothing. whilst i dont agree with turning up at their houses btw. People have had enough of it, same as RTE. Accountability and reliability needs to become the currency of politicians rather than the we know best, lie to us politics that has been dominant here forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have always felt it would be an Autumn election. FG were forced into the Feb 2020 election by the shenanigans with Maria Bailey. They wanted it in April but were forced to act due to the Harris confidence motion. They did not want a bleak weather election. Canvassing is tough in Jan/Feb and people tend to be negative after Xmas and months of darkness.

October 2024 would be my choice but they will still get mauled. Their own fault, they have failed miserably across the board. Can anyone name one piece of legislation or reform that they can be proud of over those 5 years?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

This "5th count" nonsense again. He was elected a TD in his constituency and has been since 2007. He was the second of 4 TDs returned in the constituency the last time out. There was also a second FG in the constituency who got 1,870 first preference votes - a sizeable proportion of which would have gone to Varadkar had he been the sole FG candidate.

I get it that many dislike Varadkar but his constituents seem happy to return him every time he puts himself up for election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I wouldn’t want to be a politician as it’s a job that you just can’t win in.

I wonder what he walks away with though? Decent pension?

Is he lined up for another job I wonder?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

[Quote: Can anyone name one piece of legislation or reform that they can be proud of over those 5 years?]

Well, the handling of Covid was better than most other Gov in Europe by any measure - but mainly excess deaths - which is an important measure.

Yet the FG cry babies on here. . . always ready to protect the establishment

Not quite sure if that was directed towards me. Maybe you can clarify.

and to hell with free speech.

There is no such thing as free speech in this country and possibly never has been and its a politically immature person who believes that free speech exists.

Well you stated you're independent so not at you. I agree with you on free speech in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'd disagree there, but admittedly it was an unprecedented situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He's dead bloody right. Why would anyone choose a job where they get **** thrown at them, stalked, harassed, pictures of peniss sent to them, death threats, threats to their kids, threats to their houses, threats to their offices, threats to stamp on their heads, screaming abuse at their families.

I could easily find 20 or 30 stories of abuse politicians have to put up with and that's only scratching the surface.

We have a serious serious issue with how much people abuse each other in this country and it makes our democracy worse that people leave because they are abused so much.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That's bullshit. The level of abuse politicians get has dramatically increased in the last 10/15 years. It isn't simply part of the territory to have people threaten your kids, threaten your head to be stamped on. Abusive is nasty and corrosive. I'm not a fan of Cannon or his politics but he is dead right to call this out.

@Peter Flynt its not acceptable. You wouldn't accept such high levels of abuse in your job. Why should they.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah exactly. The op said its not right to abuse politicians and then wrote abusive stuff about them.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement