Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭positron

There was an G reg 2017 Ionic 28kWh with just 100k Kms on donedeal last night for approx 10k in Mayo. Can't find it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

Does this seem like reasonable value? I know it's not a bargain but reasonable value will probably do me!

https://www.zucar.ie/vehicle/tesla-model-3-211c6695-6047

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A lot of car there, the colour was extra and the previous owner bought a few after market items so hopefully took care of it, still under Tesla bumper to bumper warranty. Lots here will compare to a new model RWD in white...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not a bargain. Brand new Highland is a far better car with almost the same range at €42k. That 3 year old Model 3 is worth not much more than €25k in my book

As a general rule of thumb: cars for sale by dealers are never a bargain and shouldn't be in this thread at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats an LR though, the LR highland is more than 42k. I agree with your suggestion but that specific car seems keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭OEP

LR Highland is 51k.

Fair point about the dealers, I just find this thread the best to get opinions as I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

I know. Not a good comparison. The range of the RWD Highland is close enough to the old AWD. For most people the little bit of extra range of the latter is zero reason to fork out any more

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭DrPsychia

What do you think is a fair price for a 22 M3LR? Cheapest I see on DD is 34k for 65k kilometres.

€34k is far too high in my book, but who knows. Someone might pay close to that.

• Advertisement

€54.5k for that colour option, that's too expensive if you ask me but nevertheless the correct comparative

..and it's not just about range, the LR has AWD, faster charging, slightly higher battery kms warranty, an amazing audio upgrade and has an acceleration boost available.

Each of these would need to be weighed up, all in all I think that's a decent price garage price for all the above, but to each their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

Decent price garage price cars have no place in this thread 😁 By double definition they are miles away from being a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

what do people think second hand Seals will do to prices in the second hand market in 12-18 months time? the rwd seal is €42k new with 82kwh battery.......will they push second hand m3 highland prices lower (compared to what 12-24 month old m3's cost today) as they have smaller batteries?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Since when is the Seal RWD 42k? It's €46500 after grant. Dual motor is about €51500 after grant

Very hard to predict. But let me correct you on one thing. Battery size itself doesn't matter, it is what you can do with it (so she said 😂). As an example, a 82kWh ID.4 has a similar motorway range at 120km/h GPS speed as a 60kWh Tesla Model Y. In fact, needlessly carrying around too much battery is bad as it makes the car heavier, thus less efficient, thus a higher cost per km to run. And it made the car unnecessarily expensive to buy in the first place

If you presume the Seal turns out to be as well built as the Tesla, with no major issues of any sort (even stuff that BYD has no control over like insurance premiums), and if there are issues, can they be relatively easily sorted (big assumption - poor dealer network and do they have or will they get a highly effective ranger service?), then the depreciation should be similar to the Tesla. Except Tesla would at this stage be the more desirable brand for most people, which slows depreciation. If you are very keen on total cost of ownership, I would hold off for a year or two before jumping in and buying a Seal.

Edit: I took the poster's word for it that Seal and Model 3 are the same price on the road. @DrPsychia has corrected that assumption. And the more you pay for a similar car, the higher the depreciation of the higher price one will be in absolute terms, there's no way around that...

Price does not include delivery and related charges, which are likely at least €1k, so €45k on the road. I have asked BYD to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

ok wow a whopping 4.5k more then.

the smaller battery comfort model is expected to cost €40k when its released. this will compete with M3 RWD which is more expensive. this will surely impact second hand values in time.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

@ColemanY2K - "ok wow a whopping 4.5k more then"

Better in my pocket than handed over to BYD. Maybe pocket change to you, but certainly not to me.

And on that note, I wonder what BYD are playing at. As a newcomer, you can't just come into a market and start demanding the same price as your competition. Not without having a significant other factor that is better. The Japs did it in the 70s and 80s with cars that were the same price, but significantly higher spec and better built. The Koreans did it in the 00s and 10s with cars that were not quite as good, but cheaper, better specced and significantly better warranty. The Chinese in the 20s and 30s will only win on price as far as I can predict into the future (next 5 years or so)

• Advertisement

If there is such competition then I believe Tesla will respond accordingly if BYD are gaining market share. Second hand M3s are in a weird price state at the moment. Some earlier adopters will hold on to theirs a lot longer because of the significant price cuts, those who are selling privately are seeking more than the normal depreciation curve due to pre 2023 high prices, and the fact that EVs are a lot more reliable and gives one good piece of mind considering the long battery/drive motor warranty that comes with a Tesla.

I don't have a major issues with BYD, I dislike the very 'Chinese' (as Bjorn would put it) software, for example the comically loud pedestrian warning sound and the fact there's no One Pedal Driving really turns me off.

BYD is playing at the fact that it's not Tesla and they're providing more consumer choice regarding affordability. I believe many people are not interested in Tesla's due to the lack of tactile buttons, no parking sensors, no rain sensor, relatively small 'dealer' footprint compared to BYD who will continue to expand throughout Ireland, then you have the notoriously poor trade-in values. Companies don't want to be seen to buy fleets of Tesla's, maybe partly due to Elon's persona, Tesla's volatile pricing, and probably not great fleet pricing.

You can see from the BYD thread that they are very popular and are seen as good value for money. I'm seeing an increasing amount of them on the roads in Dublin so it appears they don't need to get aggressive with pricing.

If BYD refine and improve their software then I will definitely buy one in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Playing at... they seem to be playing fairly fine as people are paying it. They haven't had to get 'aggressive' in any market the world over so far. I'd say prices are keen but not cheap nor expensive either.

A like for like Audi Saloon or even VW passat similar to a Seal I'd say would be 15k more.

On that basis you get alot of vehicle for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Brasso

172 28 kWh Ioniq with 210,000 km on the clock, NCT until 11/07/2025. Asking €8,500. Front bumper looks a bit scuffed.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-2017/36570585

You see but the people aren't paying it. Outside of China, BYD sales of the Seal aren't impressive at all.

Fook me, that's a steal. Still a bit of general warranty left as I think that doesn't have any mileage limit? Battery warranty is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭allinthehead

The Jury is still out on BYD imo. Long term reliability would be a concern for me, reports of premature rusting, radios that don't actually work and the latest, an Awd that was shown to not actually be Awd. If they can't be arsed to test something as fundamental as the Awd system in an Awd car, what else have they not bothered to test? Apparently an update will fix this but doesn't inspire confidence.

I've been driving a 6 month old Atto for a while now, it's wearing very poorly, looks and feels like a 3/4 year old car. Steering has something wrong with it too, clicks when you turn it. The driver assistant is the most annoying thing about it though, especially on back roads. Speed sign recognition doesn't work either.

Hopefully all this stuff is just teething and they can polish them up a bit.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

BYD thread is that way folks ➡️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭allinthehead

To be fair, the Byd diversion was related to future Market values. Future Ev bargains we won't be buying if you will.😁

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Nah, effort.

Thanks though.

I'm off to buy a bargain 5 grand fluence...

5 grand fluences belong on the thread but good dealer priced cars don't.

Hurrahh..

• Advertisement

Any pictures of this ? Wear and tear? My uncle had the atto since launch its a taxi. Looks the same as when he bought it start of 2023. I was in it last week.

Advertisement