Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Hammer didn’t look in shape at all at tbe weigh in

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭GHendrix

Whyte has always been underrated. His CV is better than most with his only unavenged losses to Fury and AJ.

Outside of Fury and probably AJ, I don’t think anyone else has an easy night with him.

Would like to see him up against Parker, Joyce, Wilder next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah fair point, even if he wanted to chill, the Saudi money would be to alluring and Hearn can't afford to have his biggest draw by miles on the couch for that long.

It's fascinating though when it comes to his next opponent guessing, he seems content to call out Hrgovic which would be a good fight.

The Saudis wanted Joshua v Wilder , so maybe Wilder if he is on the Fury card can knock someone over and get some buzz back and they finally make that fight?

Not sure who else makes sense money wise and isn't to risky of a fight ? I think Hearn would love to spin some of "battle of Britain" fight for the Summer, but Joyce has no buzz and could they make AJ v Dubois?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dubois needs to fight Joyce and avemge his loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Tried to reply to this last night it didn’t load. Aye Whyte is alright in the same way the likes of Chisora is. Parker gets much more credit and Whyte correctly beat him. He should fight Joyce now. It’s a big fight and it sorts the pack a bit. Pretty even too. Losses aren’t the end of the world. When Joyce KOd Parker I wondered where Joe would go from there and look now. There’s a fight with Hrgovic or Zhang and a rematch with Parker too those are all co-mains and really interesting match ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Apparently Turki lining up a two fight deal for Joshua/Fury.

One in Saudi and one at Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Full a fooking deals and promises are boxers/promoters for years now. AJ and Fury are veterans and nearing end their careers…can’t even fight once, and we’re being promised two fight deals

Exactly, boxers shouldn’t fear losses. The likes of Whyte has literally nothing to lose at this point.

It’s unlikely he’ll ever be champion. And losses against decent opponents won’t harm him much.

But he would certainly be competitive against the likes of Parker, Wilder, Joyce and could add some decent names to his CV.

Yeah, it’s such a shame for the sport that most of the top heavyweights are coming to the end of their careers and it feels like the majority of the big fights never happened when they should have.

We’re now in the territory where Fury and Usyk at least are likely past their peak and any loss now will have an asterisk.

I can already see arguments like prime Fury would have easily beat AJ and it’s possibly true.

The sad thing is, we’ll never know because it didn’t happen when it should have

• Advertisement

it is probably best to not look to far ahead with the heavyweights, it can all come crashing down in one night, there's rumours about usyk having a goosed shoulder and putting off surgery and fury has said himself he needs a couple of surgeries so either man could find themselves on the slide with injuries and age catching them. The Saudi landscape could also change very quickly, it wasn't so long ago another man was the face of the boxing and they were going to start dealing direct with the fighters, plenty of fighters signed up for this mega deal promise and it was gone overnight and we then got his excellency turkey the sheikh who is having health issues himself so who knows what the future brings lets hope we get fury v usyk in 2 months.

wardley is up against frazer clarke in a couple of weeks, i know clarke is the more experienced and skilful boxer but i find it hard to look passed a yardley stoppage

whyte may have a good cv but he has slowed down to new joyce speed at this stage in his career and the knockout from povetkin was the end of him ever getting near to top boys again, aj would beat him while still in first gear

It’s a bit soon to write off Whyte just yet. He was never gonna look all that impressive as it’s been a. Long lay off and a drugs issue too. Joyce is similar. Get a win and move on. Joshua we can rewind to Franklin not too long ago and he looked terrible now he’s holding all the keys whether or not the opposition was much use. I wonder what kinda Whyte woulda turned up had the Joshua fight gone ahead. Was he in it for one more payday or had he legit ambition. It wont happen now ever I can’t see.

On Wardley and Clarke I can’t make up my mind. Clarke is slow enough and early in the pros but has a lot of amateur background. Wardley gets hit a lot and his wins are all very chaotic. I can’t stand Clarke but I’m 60-40 on him for this one. I think Wardley will be going face first and Clarke wont bite. The thing that qualifies this for me though is that Clarke really didn’t want it and thats never much of a sign. Interesting match up.

i am trying to think back to when whyte had a win where he looked good and dominated, oscar rivas 5 years ago is the only one standing out, his fight before that against chisora was a brawl that could have gone either way

im still not convinced aj is back to his best either after the wallin win, the man was scared the entire fight

We’re in proper dire straits if talking about Whyte being a proper threat/contender

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Thought dire straight were reached already when we had people giving a novice a chance against the top heavyweights.

I dont meant in times of having a belt he was never good enough for that but in and around the top 5 or 6.

Even in that fight he was knocked down in the last round. Povetkin II but POV was a shadow of himself. Parker he should have had finished as well but he allowed him back into it. He’s in the as good as area of anyone but the top 3-4. That’s enough for fairly big fights. People write off boxers too easily. It happened with Parker, now Joyce, now Zhang, Joshua, Wilder. Whyte has at least one decent match left in him. He will be around another while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd agree that Whyte has the means to get himself one last decent match. He will look terrible in it though just like he did in the fury fight.

He's a shadow of himself. The beating he took in the latter rds Vs AJ, the wars with chisora and tough fight with Parker topped off by the Povetkin KO have left him very battle scarred.

• Advertisement

very candid interview from Dillian here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Also in the Povetkin rematch , the Russian was coming off covid and looked absolutely abysmal on the night which takes away from that win.

He is done, maybe if "his excellency " is feeling kind he may cash him out for one big fight in Saudi but after that he needs to wrap it up IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whyte can be a gatekeeper and get good money doing it.

He had to pay his opponent the other night out of his own pocket

Hopefully we get AJ/Francis 2… going by Francis’s excuses for the loss, we really need to run it back.

Anyone else picking Tyson to beat Jake Paul? Whyte seems to think it's a formality!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Mike broke?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There’s talk that he’ll earn more vs. Paul than in any single fight during his actual career.

Most of the money he made during his career was stolen by don king if I remember rightly, he’s getting well paid for appearances and podcasts and also has his own cannabis strain so I doubt he’s skint, he’s probably just bored but at 58 this won’t be a proper fight and more than likely an exhibition of it goes ahead

roy jones v Mike Tyson wasn’t allowed to be anything other than an exhibition and they are a similar age

• Advertisement

Manuel charr is fighting pulev next week and I’m hearing rumours Dubois v hrgovic could be in the June card in Saudi which surprised me

Advertisement