Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Freestyling on the mic embarrassing himself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Also 39.5million purse for fighting a novice.

Sure, nothing to do with the money of course.

Why didn't he do it for a paltry 20million if he doesn't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

Hrgovic is going to act like most other mandatory challengers have the past 20 years so and fight weak opposition until the cash out title shot comes. He’s not going to fight AJ as a keep active fight.

AJ could take safe fights but I think he has an opportunity to really build some hype here if he picks Parker/Wilder/Ruiz.

If he beats two of them the Fury or Usyk fight will be billed as a 50/50 AJ back to his best etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was watching Ade and Gman do a video and Ade said he’s heard a story from a good source that explains why Andy ruiz hasn’t fought in a while but he said he can’t let the cat out of the bag just yet

so that has me thinking it’s either an injury or a ban but I’m sure we will find out at some point

anyone thinking of going to the Whyte fight on the 17th ? I’m half tempted

The internet isn’t for everyone

Fight AJ as keep active?

It would likely be his biggest ever payday by quite a bit to just fight AJ (without a title on the line).

There would be no reason not to want the fight..

cash out title fight could be v Usyk. No way this comes financially near to even a non-title fight v AJ

Post edited by walshb on

A loss to AJ and that mandatory slot could be gone. No?

I can’t see him fighting anyone of note unless the belt is on the line.

Look at his last opponent.

I don’t think your take on it makes as much sense as mine.

Yes, his last foe was dreadful. But I doubt Hrgovic is trying his best not to slip-up to the point where a huge lifetime changing payday v AJ would be passed up.

Unless money means very little to him, and the title (with an ordinary pay packet) is much more important than a huge AJ payday

• Advertisement

If the Saudi team offer hrgovic 10 to 20m he would take the fight with Aj I’m sure, it’s money in the bank and a huge fight

his other option is to fight a dosser for low money waiting a year at least for his possible shot at fury or Usyk that quite frankly might never happen

Finally. That's exactly what I mean.

Don't know why ye brought "he doesn't need it" in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

agreed what someone like Hrgovic wants is a money fight and AJ is THE money fight, title or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fighting is crazy

18 months ago there was so many big fights we wanted to see but now most of them fighters have lost |& there is really only 2 big fights in the division left,

Whats up with Andy Ruiz by the way

There’s. Story about to break according to Ade that hosts dazn and has his own podcast

funny old game dubois and Parker are now in the top five you would say and wilder dropped out quickly

Biggest issue with boxing these days and recently is that it is now so much more a business and marketing game as opposed to a sport. Years ago it was a sport, as well as a business. Almost 50-50; seems 90-10 now a business

Post edited by walshb on

On AJ-Wilder.....a while back I was 55-45 AJ to win. Now I am 75-25. Of course, Wilder still could KO AJ, but I think Wilder is quite a bit passed his best, and even tough he still has power, I think his delivery system, speed, timing and confidence are not enough to beat AJ. I reckon AJ blasts him out early and clinically

• Registered Users Posts: 37,625 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Andy Lee has done a great job with Parker. He looks a different fighter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have no idea where AJ is at the moment. Since Usyk hes looked great but only fought bums.

Maybe its what he needed to get his confidence back,

They done a great job, steered cleared of Wilder & Parker took care of that problem & no there is next to no big hitter left for him to worry about,

Wilder ,Zang , Ortiz where all guys AJ was going to try keep away from when they where in there primes ,

• Advertisement

Hard to think that Parker is only gone 32 ,

Such a shame he doesn't carry much power it is the one thing that hold him back from the lads at the very top .

Hes very well rounded with no glaring weakness but he also has not jump out strengths

Because he beat a woeful Wilder and out-pointed a very lazy Zhang?

Looks a different fighter how, exactly?

Anytime Zhang hit him clean, he was hurt, and had Zhang any fight/desire he would have taken Parker out.

Lee may well be good/great, but based off the last two fights, albeit wins, it's not easy to assess.

several folks here backed Joe (or at least gave him a real good chance) to beat Wilder and Zhang. Me being one.

Post edited by walshb on

I don’t think AJ is suddenly some killer now, back to his best. It’s as much to do with a belief that Wilder really has regressed

Before Andy Lee was training Parker he could last 12 rounds without switching off and going into his own world , I think he’s fitter than ever before always alert and lighter on his feet.

he may not be a power puncher but he certainly rocked Zhang the other night who didn’t seem phased at all by any of the punches Joe Joyce landed on him

To be fair Parker looks better,

Hes stays focused & is following game plans, he's also fitter & faster than before

Still he won't ever be a champions again

he is young enough to be around when the belts are fragmented, if zhang decides he's too old to go again then parker is interim champion

I think he could be. There’s a good chance Usyk, Wilder and Fury could be retired by the end of next year.

That would leave AJ on top with Parker and one or two others possibly picking up a single belt or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Things can change very quickly. When Joyce KOd him he looked like a busted flush. A year later and Joyce is in that position after Zhang demolished him twice. If he was foolish the first fight I don’t have a word for his plan on the second one but that’s another discussion on its own.

When Wlad had the belts we all thought he’d easily beat Fury. What was he then about 37? Not ancient for such a good and dominant champion. Anyhow, FFD another while and who could have ever dreamed that Prince Charles would have a go at being king?! Not only that but Stiverne would hold a belt, then Wilder would outpoint him. Joshua gets in easy with Martin and then he gets to fight Wlad for 2 more belts (in Fury’s absence). The landscape can flip on its head in no time at all. Parker on any day is better than Martin so he would have cause for optimism if he keeps himself right and is ready to take an opportunity. It’s not at all inconceivable that he’d take on someone like Anderson or Dubois for a belt in about 18 months. He’d have a good chance against those. A rematch with Joyce could well happen. He has to keep on winning and let the rest play out. He will be a part of big cards doing that.

Kind of highlights the state of the division if Parker could be called a HW champion again . I like him, and he has some good traits, but he is not that good, lads. He really isn’t.

• Advertisement

Take out the top three and he’s there or there abouts

we are screwed when those 3 lads retire

Advertisement