Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is sort of happening. There are dedicated teams being recruited in LA's around the country to particularly champion active transport designs. They'll be SME's so to speak. Additionally, any of the engineers are being trained using "experiential visits" to places like Utrecht. It's not exactly what you're describing, but it's a good start.

I find LA engineers now way better educated on cycle infrastructure than 2-3 years ago, in general. It's definitely improving in the two Cork LA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Paddigol

They'll probably come to that conclusion once they've burnt through hundreds of millions of wasted Euro on 'upgrading' crap road infrastructure to still crap road infrastructure. It always seems to be the way in this country. The obvious solution is staring the authorities in the face, but they wait until years/ decades have passed before acting on it, by which point the world has moved on and money wasted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this has been one of the issues facing local authorities; DCC can't hire enough people, they're operating at ~90% nominal headcount, and the shortfall is most pronounced in areas where they can't compete with the private sector for pay, so in engineering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Any near misses to report there lads?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Indeed, time to move on as it's just people repeating the same thing. Nearly all seem to have missed the cyclist was on the footpad and so no one's point is valid, so let's just leave it there. The law has been quoted and seems clear, anyone who can't understand it can go to PM for clearer explanations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had one on the way home this evening as it happens.

Heading along Tubber Lane (between Hazelhatch & Lucan) a driver, despite being on the only part of the lane that gives excellent overtaking opportunities, skimmed past me and disappeared off ahead despite my scream.

As it happened, about 500m further on at the narrowest part of the lane, he was facing two oncoming cars and was reversing backwards.

I pulled up alongside him and asked why he passed me like that and he beeped his horn and reversed more. However, he had caught himself against the ditch and needed to manoeuvre forwards: where I was standing. I apologised to the drivers behind for any delay but both seemed fine (more puzzled than anything).

Anyhow the muppet hadn't the balls to interact with me so I went on, knowing that he was behind me I continued along, taking the lane so to speak. Another couple of hundred metres along a pedestrian coming towards me called me so I stopped (in the middle of the lane). Turns out the pedestrian was looking to get to the canal at Hazelhatch as he had friends fishing there (he was holding his phone so not sure how he couldnt use the maps app???). After giving him comprehensive instructions to ensure he wouldn't get lost again, I grabbed the following pic and headed on further with the idiot behind...

Edit: typos

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Encountered 4 absolutely stupid cnuts behind wheels this morning, all happened in last 10km of my spin

Stupid cnut No 1: I was coming down the embankment and several cars were in a hurry to get out of one of the lanes on right hand side, 3 had ample time and space but stupid cnut No 1 pulls out as i am literally passing the lane and drives parallel to me on the middle of the road down embankment 😑

Just down from that incident I encounter stupid cnut No 2. He's pulling out of the last lane on left hand side just up from plant yard on the right. He's in a super sized van, he's edged out, he's looking at me with my front flashing light, waits until I'm 10 feet from him and starts to pull out to turn right and go up the embankment, had to swerve around him and then stupid cnut No 2 decides to remind me how stupid he actually is and blows horn at me !

At jobstown Inn I'm rolling along and I meet stupid cnut no 3, he's a professional driver in a 241D reg private bus, he decides to see how close he can get to me without touching me, would have thought a professional driver would have heard about 1.5 meters when passing a cyclist. 😪

On Belgard Road I meet Stupid Cnut no 4, he's pulling out of old Glen Abbey building, waits until I'm practically at the entrance and proceeds to turn left onto road just in front of me, stupid cnut No 4 is browsing his phone....😠

Got home safely despite the endeavours of 4 stupid cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There's another lunatic on Tubber Lane, drives a battered red toyota hilux. I think he has sheds maybe 400M further down towards Lucan from where your photo was taken, just be careful of him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Not a near miss, but stupid driving.

Heading along the road in the picture below yesterday, traffic at a standstill, all parking spaces full on the left hand side. I'm filtering to the left of traffic.

Fella in a van, in a parking space indicates to pull out, but traffic isn't moving. Turns the nose of the van out a little.

As I approach we make eye contact, and he pulls his van out as far as he can without actually hitting a car, blocking my progress.

I gave him a rueful shake of the head, and just filtered to the right until I was past him, and headed up to the red light.

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Burton Hall Road, travelling west after the Luas tracks last week on my commute home. Traffic built up in the lane on the right, I took the left lane to go left up ahead and some idiot in a German saloon raced in from the right lane narrowly missing the last car in the line and skimmed past me. Fortunately for them I didn't catch up around the Beacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus lads just have to vent.

Coming out on the quays from the hill on Fishable Street, wife is ahead of me on her bike.

She takes the corner onto the cycle lane on the quays, im following behind.

As im making the turn, a motorbike on the quays decides he's sick of waiting in the traffic and to take the cycle lane just in front of me as I make the turn.

I nearly hit the side of him, he continues up the cycle lane right behind my missus trying to get her to move to the left.

I catch up with him, screaming 'get the **** out of the cycle lane!', undertake him, get in front and then cycle two abreast while slowing down in front of him to make him cop the **** on and get out of the cycle lane.

Absolute ****. I'm raging. At moments like this I keep wishing I had a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've seen a few morons, usually on mopeds, do the same, even in segregated cycle lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This was 100% a segregated lane on the quays with high barriers so exclusively for bicycles. Undertaking the bastard was a bit of a squeeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wondered that after posting, I'm never on the quays:-).

You would think there shouldn't have to be a public reminder that motorbikes can't use cycle lanes but then again...

Hope the missus was proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I was cycling through Ranelagh today. A range rover was parked in the cycle lane, outside Dean hotel.

As I passed the car I looked back .. the male driver came out and shouted.. are you OK there?

I decided that I was OK... Male on male aggression right there.

What he doesn't know is.. I could have circled back and sent his teeth down his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Any idea what made him shout at you? seems a bit random?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

People are idiots, I had something similar last year going through a roundabout when a van coming from my left didn't yield and came into the roundabout encroaching on my space before he eventually stopped. I looked back and he later came up along side me shouting if I had a good look and if I wanted to write down his reg. If you do something stupid or were inattentive just apologise and everyone can move on with their day if no harm was done but oh no, idiots have to double down and then have a go at the innocent cyclist for existing.

As the poster noted above... "male aggression". It's always the same. Yes, you get idiotic female drivers. Plenty of ignorant ones too. Even the odd angry one. But anyone who cycles can attest to the very different experiences you get from male versus female drivers. Gimme ignorance and idiotic over aggressive every day.

Saw a woman on a bike nearly become the latest cyclist to be killed by a HGV in the city centre. One of the most braindead displays of cycling I've ever seen.

Cycling from Ely Place towards Merrion Street/ Baggot Street junction, she decided that the best place for her to turn right onto Baggot St was not, as you might have assumed, in the right hand, right-turn-only lane, but in the left hand, straight-ahead only lane. Not only that, but it occurred to her that it made perfect sense to move up the inside on a Guinness Delivery Truck to do so. So off she went, gliding up the driver's blindside, proceeds to the front left of the cabin, takes a hand off the bars and signals right while starting her turn. Thankfully there was a passenger in the truck who happened to glance to his left and reached across with his arm to get the driver's attention as she passed within a couple of feet of the front left of the cabin. Meanwhile middle aged lady cyclist looks incredulously at them for having nearly run her over, stops at the other side of the junction having made her (illegal) right hand turn, and glared at the truck as it drove on. She's now gone about her day telling everyone who will listen about the criminally dangerous driver that nearly killed her.

I genuinely shudder to think what would have happened if there hadn't been a passenger in that truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://x.com/righttobikeit/status/1769999646628192711?s=20..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Another classic from him. His "right to bike" seems to come before any kind of common sense on the road.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Never mind that he saw the man going across but only brakes at the last minute. His 'righttobikeit' supersedes everyone's else rights on the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's a plonker. Absolute plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've a suspicion that an awful lot of fatalities due to HGV etc. are caused by things like this. I see bad cycling all the time in Dublin, and by bad cycling I mean cyclists not having the experience and cop-on to take up good positions on the road. One thing along those lines that I see regularly is people, usually women, cycling along and then putting their right arm out to signal a manoeuvre and starting the manoeuvre without even looking behind them first. There are a lot of noobs like that out there cycling. No wonder there's this hysteria about how "unsafe" it is to cycle in the city: I reckon most of the people who perceive it as being unsafe are the ones that haven't a clue about road positioning and generally "looking after themselves" when on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Trucks shouldn't be let out on the road with blind spots if they can't share safely with other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He braked at the first minute that the man moved out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

And meanwhile, in the real world, they still have them, plus they have a percentage of ****-ups driving them, so you need to know WTF you're doing when you're around them, and even then you're still not fully covered. I had a near death experience with one a few years back along the quays (Dublin): I chased him, caught him at the lights near Guinness's, hopped off the bike, full of adrenaline, hopped up onto his step, opened his door, nearly pulled him out of the cab. Fucker never even saw me he said. I came to my senses and left it, then went to Pearse St Garda station and reported it. Gardaí cautioned him as far as I remember. Point is, they're lethal so exercise extreme caution around them.

He should be slowing before that. That he has di do an emergency break says he wasn't paying as much attention to the scene in front of him as he likes to believes.

As I said, he's a plonker

• Advertisement

A blind spot isn't an excuse for braindead road craft though. One is fixable at a personal level.

Advertisement