Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Toptip: when the light is red, stop as far into the junction as possible so that any other cyclist that wants to salmon in front of you can’t stop in front of you. Once the light for the opposing traffic goes amber that’s the moment to start off again.

yeah, yeah I know it’s illegal, but it avoids a lot of hassle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You obviously live in a nice part of the country where Amber tells traffic to stop unless unsafe to do so. TBF, I clip in and track stand, make it look like I am going to go regardless which appears to usually stop the 3rd car in traffic from running the red as mine has already turned green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Why not?

And what has avoiding cycle lanes got to do with the issue? Are you suggesting that if you don't appreciate the selfish, rude and irresponsible behaviour of others in shared spaces you should leave?

I'm genuinely perplexed at why you take such umbrage at the idea of one adult asking another adult not to behave like a d**k in a shared public space.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not a close pass as such (was less then 1M just the same), but the obsession with MGIF is just idiotic in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I say nothing.

Only spoken to fellow cyclists 3 times about their cycling.

All 3 went up the inside of left turning or indicating buses/ HGVs. All 3 took the advice as intended, but I try to give advice in good spirit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I hate seeing that. You just close your eyes and hope something terrible doesn't happen.

Or going between a bus and a HGV. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

A classic see bike=must overtake

Don't think it's much to do with not paying attention per se, rather a complete lack of ability to observe and judge, and drive accordingly.

No shortage of them out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I seen a guy on a Dublin bike a couple of years ago plough through a red light outside Heuston where the green pedestrian light had gone and there was a young child who had begun walking and was yanked back by his mother who luckily had spotted this.

I caught up with him on the quays and as I passed I said "watch out for people when you're going through lights". At the next red he asked what I said and I said "you nearly hit a kid going through that light". He looked at me like I'd too heads and said he didn't see anything. Unsure if it's worse if he didn't look or if he seen it and just went on regardless...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I see your MGIF and raise you this.

The driver can clearly see the stationary traffic ahead when they make their pass. Talk about completely and utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

This is becoming the new norm for me at the roundabout at Dundrum shopping centre. Cars just don't stop.

I was going down the bypass towards the Luas Bridge, but I decided to chase after the driver. He did a full 360 around the roundabout, dropped someone off and drove away. I didn't catch him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Was the driver able to see you? It looks like you don't have a front light.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can see his light flashing on the signs and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can see the reflections of a strobe light. I'd still say its insufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So it seems that the plan for an online portal to report dodgy driving will be predominantly offline based...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I have an excellent light,

I also have reflective and hi vis clothing. I’m well lit up when I cycle in the dark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its reflected off signs 150m+ up the road, I wouldn't say its insufficient, brighter than the dims on most cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My wife witnessed a dooring on O'Connell Street about an hour ago. Looks like the cyclist had a body cam. It was a taxi passenger who did the dooring, and immediately lost the rag - but several bystanders came to the defence of the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

Interesting one. Assume it was the offside door and not the near one?

Would still be the responsibility of the driver to check their mirrors before allowing the passenger to alight as would be near impossible for the passenger to see behind them. I'm sure I recall a driver telling me to wait once. Weird that the passenger lost the rag, but that's O'Connell Street for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

correct re the side of the car - my wife reckoned the door was opened with such speed/force she suspects the passenger was bailing without intending to pay. which might explain the reaction, she was probably already hopped up on adrenaline if that was the case.

she saw it from the top deck of a bus - the driver of the bus stopped for a couple of minutes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This was all my fault, apparently.

Despite having a bright orange top, a solid rear red light, a flashing rear red light on this camera, Mr Volvo 'never saw you' and was very surprised and upset when I tapped his wing mirror to stop him driving over me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're clearly ahead of that car for the whole clip until they turn into you. Pretty poor driving.

Near miss would be a slight exaggeration, as I had it well covered - but this guy never looked my direction until I called out to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Bizarre situation this morning, where i was tailgated by a lunatic as I was cycling through estates in Crumlin. He had his front bumber practically left on the back wheel of my bike. He couldn't get by due to oncoming traffic and speed ramps. I filtered past him numerous times as well. Most aggressive bit of driving I've ever seen, and i've been cycling around Dublin for many years.

I was literally looking down on the bonnet of the car, he was that close to me. It was quite off putting because he was driving an Electric Kia which was basically silent.

Extremely aggressive and totally pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fairly scary incident today cycling with my little boy where a bus came from behind and pulled right it on top of both of us in a cycle/bus lane and then stopped at a bus stop on top of us.

I remonstrated with the driver who admitted he had seen us but claimed it was (somehow 🤔) our fault so he pulled in anyway.🤬

Little boy fairly upset. Annoying as I am trying to build up his confidence on the road.

There was no time for me to avoid it which I obviously would have done if I could being with my child.

Have reported it to Gardai. Got photo of reg and photo of bus driver. I do not have too much confidence in the Gardai to follow up on it but I said I am happy to make a statement.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I just took 30 mins to write everything down while it is fresh in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

@Pawwed Rig Sorry to hear and fair play reporting it although I would similarly have little confidence in action. What type of bus or company was it? If a Dublin Bus (perhaps Bus Éireann also) you can request footage of the incident which involves you under GDPR which would certainly help your case. If a private bus company report the incident to them also, they might take more action than the guards but advise them it's with the guards also.

• Advertisement

Yes, get your GDPR request in urgently before they overwrite the footage. There's details about how to submit a request on Irishcycle.com.

Advertisement